Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Post Unemployment rate hits five-year low

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advis...-business.html

U.S. employers hired more workers than expected in November and the jobless rate hit a five-year low of 7.0 percent, raising chances the Federal Reserve could start ratcheting back its bond-buying stimulus as soon as this month.

Nonfarm payrolls increased by 203,000 jobs last month, following a similarly robust rise in October, the Labor Department said on Friday. The report, which showed broad gains in employment and a rise in hourly earnings, suggested strength in the economy heading into year-end.

"It will add further confidence to the Fed of a reduced need for monetary stimulus in the U.S. economy. We now see the bias shifting in favor of a January tapering announcement," said Millan Mulraine, senior economist at TD Securities in New York.

The unemployment rate dropped three tenths of a percentage point to its lowest level since November 2008 as some federal employees who were counted as jobless in October returned to work after a 16-day partial shutdown of the government.

The decline came even as the participation rate - the share of working-age Americans who either have a job or are looking for one - bounced back from October's 35-1/2-year low.

A separate report showed improving labor market prospects buoyed consumer confidence in early December.

Contributing to its firm tone, the jobs report showed that the length of the average workweek reached a three-month high and that 8,000 more workers were hired in September and October than previously reported.

In addition, a measure of underemployment that includes people who want a job but who have given up searching and those working part-time because they cannot find full-time jobs fell to a five-year low.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I think that is fantastic. Downside is most of the current hiring is seasonal and in January 99% of those people will be jobless again.

SCF Rewards
    Country

ITS ALL OBAMA'S FAULT!!!!!!!

RAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait.....you said it's hit a five year LOW?

Well then, ALL PRAISE TO JESUS!

Clearly it had to be him who did this and not that ANTI-CHRIST, MUSLIM, DEGENERATE OBAMA!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

ITS ALL OBAMA'S FAULT!!!!!!!

RAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait.....you said it's hit a five year LOW?

Well then, ALL PRAISE TO JESUS!

Clearly it had to be him who did this and not that ANTI-CHRIST, MUSLIM, DEGENERATE OBAMA!

Actually, since everything that happens during Obama's administration is Bush's fault, I believe this is also on Bush.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

This figure is totally misleading. There are at least 10 million people in the USA in the last 5 years that have stopped looking for work. They are not included in this figure.

Those forced into minimum wage jobs from higher paid skilled jobs should also not be considered as employed.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This figure is totally misleading. There are at least 10 million people in the USA in the last 5 years that have stopped looking for work. They are not included in this figure.

Those forced into minimum wage jobs from higher paid skilled jobs should also not be considered as employed.

This is spot on. I just saw a graph last night that shows that in education alone 250k jobs have been lost since 2008. Those people had to take jobs somewhere and many most likely took whatever they could get to fill the void until they could get back into a teaching job.

The Bureau of Labor and Statistics puts the real unemployment rate (the U-6) at 13.2%. That number counts everyone who is unemployed and is not currently looking for work (discouraged workers), but has looked for work in the last 12 months.
    Last edited by duane1969; 12-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

Sure there are people who aren't employed that can't be counted based off of how they get this number, but that is always the case and it still shows a trend of fewer people being unemployed. I'm not sure how people being in jobs they are under qualified for would be able to be counted. A stat isn't and can't encompass every instance and isn't meant to. It's to help show trends and it shows that unemployment numbers are improving for whatever reason.

As for the The Bureau of Labor and Statistics number. Any idea what it was at when the other number was in the same range in the past? I'd be curious to see if it was equal at the time or if it was even higher.
    Last edited by Star_Cards; 12-09-2013 at 03:16 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TheBench(150)
    Country
    See tpeichel34's Items on eBay

Sure there are people who aren't employed that can't be counted based off of how they get this number, but that is always the case and it still shows a trend of fewer people being unemployed. I'm not sure how people being in jobs they are under qualified for would be able to be counted. A stat isn't and can't encompass every instance and isn't meant to. It's to help show trends and it shows that unemployment numbers are improving for whatever reason.

As for the The Bureau of Labor and Statistics number. Any idea what it was at when the other number was in the same range in the past? I'd be curious to see if it was equal at the time or if it was even higher.

The real number to follow is the number of people collecting paychecks, and undoubtedly, that has declined.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Pirates Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @MadMan_Of_Metal See ultimatesteelersfan1964's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale

I would that number is under estimated. Many of those jobs eliminated and shall not return. Shouldn't be any surprise on this fact. This happened during the Reagan years as well and no one said a word....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

for me the blame doesn't land on anyone person or thing, it is all of their fault.

every side of government is not worth a crap, nearly none our worthy of their position and it is getting worse every 2 years.

There needs to be a "change" for real and neither side is capable of doing it for the better.

I thankful for the job I have and the industry I am in, as the same goes for my wife.

ut things are bad, good jobs are very hard to come by and no one is creating any new ones or at least not at teh oace we are loosing them.

I blame it on the bail outs, foreign aide, wars, and other government program spending, they should have been using that money to create jobs and let teh rest work itself out.