Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Last night's Bruins-Pens game...

Apologies in advance if there is to be no discussion of this game (I understand it could be a little volatile). If so mods, please feel free to delete.

I'll state right from the start that I have no bias towards either team. In fact, not a big fan of either of them.

Anyways, what are your opinions on the plays throughout the game? I personally found Orpik's hit on Eriksson to be clean; and consistent with my views on clean hits, I don't think he should have had to fight Thornton.

I thought Neal's knee to Marchand's head was 100% obvious... he not only made no attempt to move away, but actually directed his knee towards Marchand's head. Now, like many other people, I would love to see Marchand get what's coming to him, thanks to numerous cheap shots of his own in the past. However, I do not like to see a dirty play like this, I'd prefer to see him in a one-on-one fight (which sadly, will likely never happen, because it's Brad Marchand)

As for Thornton going after Orpik, that is truly one of the dirtiest plays in hockey that I have ever seen. Anyone who has ever been sucker punched knows just how bad the results can be. Doing it with a hockey glove is twice as bad, and then punching a guy while he is unconscious on the ice, is atrocious. I certainly hope that the minimum Thornton gets is 25 games.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (114)
    Country

First I will say that yes I am a Penguins fan but I would like to think I can be non-biased when needed

I agree that the hit Oprik had on Eriksson was clean, no head shot or anything like that, so he should be good to go.

I am nott 100% sure about the Neal hit. hard to see or know what is inside of a players head, was he trying to hit him or just get ot the bench or even to the back play, I think since he only got two minutes in the game that further action will not come, but with the NHL your never sure.

Now for Thorton, this is the type of play or better choice of words would be the type of action is exactly wht the NHL is trying to get ride of. Thorton did not like the hit on Eriksson and it was good clean hit, so he tries to goad Oprik into a fit (typical goon) and since oprik knows he is in the right , bakcs away and wants nothing to it. should be the end or if thorton wants to, next shift make a good clean hit on someone or better yet try to score a goal.
    But no what does he do, he goes after oprik again, slew foots him to bring him down and then hits him several times and puts oprik heads to the ice, oprik was defenceless.
    Thornton says he is sorry and feels bad but he still did it and it was 100% obvious what he was going to do, I think the league should suspend him for at least 20 games and if not more. this is very similiar to the moore/burtuzzi incident.

anyways just my opinion, lets see what other think.

jim

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Both plays were dirty (Neal & Thornton) and both are going to get suspensions.

Neal probably gets 2-3 games.... it stays low becuase Marchand wasn't hurt on the play. Should through the book at him though - kneeing a guy in the head is about as low as you can go.

Thornton? He's going to get a long one. Something more than 5... maybe even more than 10. He's an enforcer that injured someone who isn't an enforcer.... which seems to be the one time the NHL actually levies big suspensions. No excuse at all for what he did.

And absolutley - the Orpik hit was clean.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See miscs75's Items on eBay

This is whats going to happen. The league will continue to protect Pittsburgh actions until they win another cup. From Neal and his elbow to Crosby slu-footing every guy who skates by him. Honestly, they deserve these types of games. Its bad that things got completely out of hand but team Cindy needs to be taugh a lesson or two.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (114)
    Country

This is whats going to happen. The league will continue to protect Pittsburgh actions until they win another cup. From Neal and his elbow to Crosby slu-footing every guy who skates by him. Honestly, they deserve these types of games. Its bad that things got completely out of hand but team Cindy needs to be taugh a lesson or two.

Really?
    protect the penguins?

so you have no opinion about the specific plays mentioned in the original post but are quick to jump on the hatter wagon of the Penguins.

Sorry this is why I dont usually post on threads like this becasue it goes to hating instead of facts or opinions based on the issues and then it geets ugly, so I will refrain from replying on this one anymore

jim

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See miscs75's Items on eBay

Really?
    protect the penguins?

so you have no opinion about the specific plays mentioned in the original post but are quick to jump on the hatter wagon of the Penguins.

Sorry this is why I dont usually post on threads like this becasue it goes to hating instead of facts or opinions based on the issues and then it geets ugly, so I will refrain from replying on this one anymore

jim

what inion? Dupuis hacked Kelly's leg when the puck didn't even get past his foot. Neal kneeing Marchands head and basically getting away with it? Orpik throwing a hit on a guy who didn't even have possession of the puck? But every one of those will get overlooked by the NHL because of what happened to Orpik. Yes Thornton went over the line but that could have been stopped if he stood up for himself and actually fought. Look at the Isles-Penguins series and the nonsense that went on. Only Pittsburgh can get away with the stuff the league is trying to get out of the game. Obviously I don't like Pittsburgh but the fact they give the team the benefit of the doubt is sickening.

I was at the isles-pens game a few days ago and saw too much stuff go unnoticed. It took the refs 3 elbows by Neal to do something. Honestly, that's garbage. Vanes gets a holding the stick penalty for Malkin trying to pull him down. Kunitz going down from a high stick like he got shot in a war scene. Give me a break. Show some class.

My resolution to this whole Boston-Pittsburgh fiasco is this: bring back Trevor Gillies and have him play every game against Pittsburgh. Guy is a pure goon but will teach people a lesson.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I have no dog in this fight.
    The NHL needs to get some teeth. Here it is with no compromise.

Orpik - 7 games. You targeted a man's head who did not have the puck. Two serious penalties resulting in injury

Neal - 10 games. That's strike one for you on the Punk-Meter. Each time you behave this way, another 10 games will be added.

Thornton - 15 games. You want to fight a man, do it when it's accepted by both and on their feet, Do this again, you lose a whole season due to suspension.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (489)
    Country
    Upper Deck ePack

I have no dog in this fight.
    The NHL needs to get some teeth. Here it is with no compromise.

Orpik - 7 games. You targeted a man's head who did not have the puck. Two serious penalties resulting in injury

Neal - 10 games. That's strike one for you on the Punk-Meter. Each time you behave this way, another 10 games will be added.

Thornton - 15 games. You want to fight a man, do it when it's accepted by both and on their feet, Do this again, you lose a whole season due to suspension.

+1

I am a Flyers fan and do not like either team. Before I get ridiculed, I detest what Rinaldo did in the Dallas game. This is not Neal first offense of cheap hits. He is protected because he is deemed a skilled player. I do not agree with what Thornton did but someone on Pittsburgh should have stepped in to protect Oprik. I agree the hit was clean but the head was still a target on this hit.
    Last edited by mq13; 12-09-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    Collecting; Autos, GU'd & RC of Red Wings, Brodeur, Hasek & Shanahan and ITG 2004-05 Franchises. Motown Madness & Broad Street Boys.
    Want List: Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Thornton was acting in a predatory fashion towards Orpik and that is certainly going to extend the suspension. At first it could be looked at as standing up for his teammate, who got levelled on a borderline hit. Orpik's no stranger to that kind of thing; he's the guy that broke Erik Cole's neck and got a 3-game suspension for it.

Thornton went after Orpik on the original play to goad him into a fight. This is the typical response you see on a lot of big hits, clean or otherwise. There's this expectation for some reason that if you hit a star player or even a "popular team guy," you have to fight afterwards. It really is silly, as it seems like it's the players who want to take hitting out of the game if a pointless fight afterwards is the consequence. But that's another discussion for another time. Orpik isn't a fighter. He's had one fight since 2008-09. Thornton has had five already this season, 8 last year, and 20 the year before that. You get the point.

There's no honour in continuing to pursue a guy for the purpose of fighting when he's already clearly indicated that he's not interested. The cross-checks, the whacks, etc. on the original play's aftermath SHOULD have been the end of it.

But Thornton continued to pursue Orpik and chose an opportunity when he had his back turned and was engaged with another player in a scrum.

That should merit a healthy suspension.

Now, the Neal knee on Marchand was despicable. I'm no fan of Marchand but that type of play could end a guy's career. You never want to see anybody get seriously injured and really it's only a bit of good fortune that Marchand wasn't on that collision. It was somewhat reminiscent of the way David Steckel did a fly-by on Crosby in the Winter Classic and concussed him, taking out the best player in the world for an extended period.

In this case, the lack of serious injury will mitigate it somewhat which is why it will only be a phone call hearing for Neal. But whether it was a case of him being reckless or doing it "accidentally intentionally" that type of play is absolutely unacceptable and should carry consequences.

Sheriff RGM81's verdict:
    3 for Neal
    15 for Thornton
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

There's no Cindy on the team.
    Trading for Steelers,Penguins,Pirates and Michigan players in Michigan uni

Hidden Content

Thanks to the USPS Shipping only to US addresses.

Shipping done on Saturdays no matter when the trade is confirmed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast