My big break (08/09 S1, 08/09 BTP, 09/10 S2, 11/12 S2, 12/13 S1, 13/14 S1, '13 DP)

I don't break too often because I can't justify the cost/reward, but I wanted to break big this Xmas. I tried to find a case to my liking but couldn't find one at the right cost that I wanted. So instead I did mixed box break with a few products I've had my eye on over the last year. I was reminded of why I usually avoid S2 hobby boxes, despite their low cost, a lot of "hits" but not much substance.

My break included:

- 31 retail packs of 12/13 UD S1 from TRU
    - 4 blasters of 13/14 UD S1
    - 08/09 UD S1 hobby box
    - 08/09 BTP hobby box
    - 09/10 UD S2 hobby box
    - 11/12 UD S2 hobby box
    - 12/13 ITG Draft Prospects hobby box

After ordering my boxes onlines and awaiting their arrival, I hit up the Toys R' Us to see if they had any non-90's $1 packs and they had a fresh stock of 12/13 UD Series 1. I was in a buying mood, so I bought all of them I could find, 31 in total for my appetizer to my Christmas Day break. Here are the hits (no silver skates):

Inserts
    MVP: P.K. Subban, Brayden Schenn, Matt Duchene, Taylor Hall, Ryan Miller, Jarome Iginla, Teemu Selanne
    Hockey Heroes: Phil Esposito #HH36, Tony Esposito #HH38
    Canvas: Matt Duchene #C24, Magnus Paajarvi #C33, Craig Smith #C48, Shea Weber #C49

RCs
    Young Guns: Robert Mayer, Brandon Manning, Travis Turnbull, Brenden Dillon, Reilly Smith

As a Flames fan, the card I was hoping to hit as I haven't bothered to try buy one yet:

Sven Baertschi Young Guns (PC)

Although, with how they are both playing, the Reilly Smith YG might be the better hit now.

And I also took advantage of the $15 blasters at Walmart for 13/14 S1 and picked up 4 total over a week stretch.

Inserts:
    MVP: Nazem Kadri #15, Kari Lehtonen #17, Mikko Koivu #18
    Hockey Heroes: Ray Bourque #HH47, Patrick Roy #HH48, Dale Hawerchuk #HH48
    Canvas:Derek Stepan #C12, Brayden Schenn #C21, Checklist 1-90 #C90
    Shining Star Defense: Drew Doughty, Ryan Suter (both sold)

RCs
    MVP Rookie: Mikael Granlund
    Young Guns: Lucas Lessio, Mathew Dumba, Alex Chiasson, Matt Nieto

Seth Jones, Morgan Reilly (NFT), Valeri Nichushkin (NFT), Dougie Hamilton

No MacKinnon, Huberdeau, Yakupov, and Tarasenko, but I'm still very satisfied with the YGs I got, and no doubles too.

The first hobby box I broke was the 08/09 UD S1, searching for the Stamkos YG (or preferably the Stamkos Exclusive or HG :o )

Inserts:
    Captain's Calling: Jarome Iginla
    Hat-Trick Heroes: Eric Staal
    Sophmore Sensations: Carey Price, Jonathan Toews
    Hockey Heroes - Crosby: #HH2, #HH3
    Winter Classics: Evgeni Malkin, Jason Pominville

GU
    Game Jersey: Chris Phillips (red), Brad Richards (; maybe a SP?)

RCs
    Young Guns: John Mitchell, Adam Pineault, Colton Gillies, Patric Hornqvist, Zach Bogosian

Then a switch over to ITG for a box I haven't broke in a while, 08/09 Between the Pipes (one of my favorite sets)

Masked Men: Martin Brodeur (PC), Tim Thomas (PC)
    Autos: Tyson Sexsmith, Brian Elliot (with a big chip on the top of the card)

The 1 GU hit from the box was saved for the top 3.

I know Series 2 is generally stuffed with a bunch of weak hits but the low price, especially of 09/10, tempted me in and there were also a couple potential PC hits in both.

The 09/10 Series 2 Hobby Break:

Inserts:
    Victory Update Gold: Mike Komisarek
    Captain's Calling: Jarome Iginla, Ilya Kovalchuk
    Draft Day Gems: Doug Gilmour, Michael Ryder
    Hockey Heroes - Messier: #HH20, #HH22
    Rookie Debut: Evander Kane
    Playoff Performers: Evgeni Malkin
    Champions: Sasha Cohen, Jojo Starbuck

GU
    Rookie Materials: Jhonas Enroth (white)
    Game Jersey: Alexander Frolov (black)

RCs
    Victory Update RC: Evander Kanex2, Matt Duchene, John Tavares, Matt Gilroy, James van Riemsdyk, Jamie Benn, Colin Wilson, Victor Hedman, Tyler Myers, Jonas Gustavsson
    Victory Update Gold RC: Aaron Gagnon (PC)
    Young Guns: Colin McDonald (gone), Ryan White (gone), Mark Letestu (gone), Steven Zalewski (gone)

Better Hits:

John Carlson YG

Braden Holtby YG

Andrei Loktionov YG Exclusives /100

And the 11/12 UD S2 hobby box:

Inserts:
    Hockey Heroes: Bobby Orr #HH17, Terry Sawchuk #HH21
    MVP: Jaromir Jagr, Jose Theodore
    OPC: Dustin Byfuglien
    OPC Retro: Ilya Bryzgalov
    Exclusives /100: Eric Fehr
    Canvas: Jacob Markstrom, Ryan Kesler, Brayden Schenn

GU
    Rookie Materials: Aaron Palushaj (red)
    Game Jersey: Alexander Edler (white)

RCs
    Victory Update RC: Gabriel Landeskog, Calvin de Haan, Jake Gardiner, Anton Lander, Zack Kassian, Keith Kinkaid
    MVP RC: Sean Couturier
    OPC RC: Cody Eakin
    OPC Retro RC: Ryan Johansen
    Young Guns: Brendan Smith, Kevin Marshall, Cody Eakin, Anders Nilsson, Dmitry Orlov
    Young Guns Canvas: Checklist #C240 (Landeskog/Leblanc/Kassian)

Biggest hit of the box:

Gustav Nyquist YG

And then I finished with the smallest break, 2013 Draft Prospects, hoping to cash in on some guys prior to the WJCs:

Base:
    Emerald /50 base: Luc Robitaille
    Autos: Eric Comrie, Robert Hagg, Jackson Whistle

Past, Present, Future Triple GU of Igor Larionov, Evgeni Malkin, Nikita Zadorov

And that's where we begin our top 3 cards of the break.

Top 3:

3) A /9 Future Prospects Patch from Draft Prospects of Top 2015 prospect Travis Konecny, which I believe is his first and only patch card so far.

2) The GU hit from 08/09 BTP was a good one. A Gold /10 Goaltending Evolution Triple Jersey of Montreal Canadiens goalies: Patrick Roy, Carey Price, and Jaroslav Halak

1) And the #1 hit of my break and the 6th Young Gun from my 08/09 UD S1 break.. Yep, you guessed it: Steven Stamkos YG (NFT)

Was a lot of fun to open that much wax in a short period, unfortunately the itch is now stronger than ever but unless I fall into a pile of money, it'll have to wait until next year.

Cards not marked PC or NFT would be available FS/FT for PC.
    PC: ITG/The Cup/Masterpieces/Canada Theoren Fleury, Colin Wilson YGs/RCs, Mike Murphy (BTP + YG excl.), 08/09 BD GUJ K. Lehtonen, 06/07 H+P Gloves B. Comeau, K Ramo RCs, E. Etem #'d RCs, Artifacts Team Canada /299

Hidden Content - Tagged by player/team

Is this ft ?
    2) The 08/09 BTP Gold /10 Goaltending Evolution Triple Jersey of Montreal Canadiens goalies: Patrick Roy, Carey Price, and Jaroslav Halak

you collect Calgary Flames ?

Hi , I would love to make a trade for the Travis Koneckny ,please let me know if you see anything here -http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/cjrw83/library/For%20sale%20and%20Trade?sort=4&page=1
    Major PC - Cody Almond, Magnus Paajarvi
    Minor PC - Carey Price, Tommy Salo Edmonton Oilers, Justin Schultz, Hall,Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, Marc Andre Fleury and St.Louis Blues
    My trade/sale list -Hidden Content

I'm interested in that Past, Present, Future if available.
    Main PC's: Hasek & LaFontaine
    Also Collecting: Sabres '70's, 80's, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Hodgson, Larsson, Armia, Zadarov, and Ristolinen. Also P. Kane, Tavares, Brodeur, and Ovi.Hidden Content

thanks for the trade enquiries from the post and PMs, but I would only look to trade for certain PC cards as mentioned in my signature. I've checked through the buckets of those that have posted and PM'd and if I saw anything, responded.
    Last edited by Fleury14; 12-31-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    PC: ITG/The Cup/Masterpieces/Canada Theoren Fleury, Colin Wilson YGs/RCs, Mike Murphy (BTP + YG excl.), 08/09 BD GUJ K. Lehtonen, 06/07 H+P Gloves B. Comeau, K Ramo RCs, E. Etem #'d RCs, Artifacts Team Canada /299

Hidden Content - Tagged by player/team