Post Jaguars to let Maurice Jones-Drew test free agent market

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...st-free-agency

The Jaguars are going to let running back Maurice Jones-Drew test the market in free agency and then decide whether to try to re-sign the second-leading rusher in franchise history.

It also appears the Jaguars are going to keep quarterback Blaine Gabbert, the team's first-round draft pick in 2011, around for the final year of his contract -- unless they draft a quarterback with the No. 3 overall pick.

General manager David Caldwell said Tuesday he didn't envision re-signing Jones-Drew, who has rushed for 8,071 yards and holds the franchise record with 81 touchdowns in eight seasons, before free agency beings in March. Caldwell also said he'll wait for Jones-Drew to get an offer from another team, then decide whether to match it.

Jones-Drew said Monday that he wants to finish his career in Jacksonville, but the decision will come down to money. He also said he has a number in mind but would not elaborate. Caldwell would not speak on that, either.

"I think he'll leave that up to his representation in terms of finding him the best value for his deal," Caldwell said. "I'm not pessimistic at all about it. I think he's earned the right to go to free agency. He's been a great player in this organization and he's had a great career and I think he's earned the right to go see what his value and his market is.

"It's our right to decide if we want to match it and bring him back."
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    TR (19)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Isn't he their only good player?
    Hidden Content
    -BECKETT SUPER COLLECTOR JULY 2006 ISSUE#196+NOV 2008 ISSUE #220 i collect Ed Reed,Ravens,Baltimore Colts+ nice stuff
    Hidden Content

He deserves to be on a contending team, guy was the work horse for a bad team for many years.
    Main PC: Broncos/Montee Ball/Chris Borland/ Mike Glennon
    Looking for Fleer Retro(or older Metal) Metal Universe/GEMS Cards

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content /Hidden Content

I'd take him on the Giants in a heartbeat.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

I saw someone yesterday tweet, "The Jags letting Maurice Jones-Drew test free agency is like a prison letting a prisoner test freedom."
    Collecting Green Bay Packers and University of Michigan Wolverines GU and Autographs!
    Tradelist (FT or FS): Hidden Content style="text-align: center;">Hidden Content

Good for him. Hopefully he has more tread on the tires than Steven Jackson did

Quote Originally Posted by rchurchward View Post
    I saw someone yesterday tweet, "The Jags letting Maurice Jones-Drew test free agency is like a prison letting a prisoner test freedom."
    rofl
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I hope he can finish his career on a team that will contend.
    Hidden Content
    **Hidden Content **
    Bucket Updated 11/12/14

He will find a spot someplace better then the Jags
    TRADING FOR ALL JEROME BETTIS I NEED! Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch
    “The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”-Buddha