Post Bears sign Jay Cutler for another 7 years

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...-year-contract

The Chicago Bears left no doubt about their confidence in Jay Cutler.

Cutler, who was set to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason, signed a seven-year contract with the team, general manager Phil Emery announced Thursday.

Although financial terms were not released, Cutler's deal is expected to eclipse the $17.6 million average the Detroit Lions gave Matthew Stafford in July. It also includes at least $50 million in guaranteed money, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Cutler isn't worried about his critics panning the deal.

"Anything that would have happened, [anywhere] I would've went, there's always positives and negatives," Cutler said. "There's always critics. Coming off an 8-8 season, we're not happy with how it ended. But I think everyone in this building is really excited about the direction we're going.

"Moving forward, there's definitely gonna be people saying that this was the wrong move. That's fine. That's their opinion. The people in this building will stick together, and we'll keep going in the direction that we think is right."

In explaining the thought process behind locking up Cutler for the long term, Emery discussed the quarterback's growth in 2013, a season the general manager described as his best.

"He's a demonstrated winner with the Chicago Bears," Emery said. "He can be a key player in terms of being the reason you win."
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

7 years is a long time to lock up a guy these days, especially a guy that is 30. I don't really like Cutler, but this was the Bears best move because who else throws 25 times a game to Brandon Marshall and hope to win. At least they are going to try to re-sign McCown, knowing at least they have a quality backup when Cutler gets hurt.
    Hidden Content
    **Hidden Content **
    Bucket Updated 7/22/14

On behalf of Packer fans everywhere, thank you, Chicago!
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Collecting Green Bay Packers and University of Michigan Wolverines GU and Autographs!
    Tradelist (FT or FS): Hidden Content

I was surprised at that. I thought he'd be better at this stage of his career. I don't think I would have given him 7 yrs.
    Guess Da Bears feel differently

bad move period!
    TRADING FOR ALL JEROME BETTIS I NEED! Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch
    “The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”-Buddha

Wow, 2 years was more than adequate. What in the World are the Bears thinking? My wife is so mad last night (Huge Bears fan from Forida - no idea how that happened) she was ranting on and on and jacked-up.