Starting to collect baseball...can you advise me?

Hi everyone,

I've been collecting hockey cards for some time and am looking to extend into baseball now. Could any kind soul give me a brief outline of the different editions you would recommend to buy/break/collect (tops, ud, etc...), which have the best/most valuable rookies, what are the most saught after types of cards etc...I am especially interested if you think there is something specifically different to collecting hockey cards...

What boxes would you recommend to buy for someone who is starting (looking to from now onwards, not older or vintage) to collect baseball and looking to spend around 120 USD?

Many thanks,

K.
    Collecting:
    -Hockey: Tomas Hertl, Steve Yzerman, Paul Stastny, High End Czech & Slovak players
    -Baseball: Mike Trout & Bryce Harper
    cmb Hidden Content Thanks!

The difference between hockey and baseball is that in baseball Topps is the only company that can make licensed cards and it has been like that for a few years now. If you don't want licensed cards then all you have to choose from is Topps.

Also in baseball players are drafted and go to the minors instead of the big leagues (99.99% of the time) so you have prospect cards from the Bowman line (which is owned by Topps) or the other sets which contain guys who have played the first season in the majors as their rookie. Some people like the Bowman stuff better because it was made before the other new stuff while others like the rookie cards with the rookie card logos from the players first season. Depending on what you prefer would be what I'd recommend. Bowman products also usually don't contain Hall of Famer stuff and very little major league star autographs and game used so that might be another piece to think about.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

thank you, that really helps...are the unlicensed cards lower in value in general? Do most people only collect licensed cards (ie topps, bowman?)

Any other you would recommend?
    Collecting:
    -Hockey: Tomas Hertl, Steve Yzerman, Paul Stastny, High End Czech & Slovak players

I agree Bowman is the best to get prospects and rc's. If you want a mix of veteran,rookies, and retired players i would suggest Topps jumbo. You can get some nicer autos and gu's from products like tier one or triple threads, but it will cost you more.

Collecting Detroit Lions,Tigers,Red Wings,Pistons and U of Michigan.

Interested in joining the baseball staff? Drop me a pm!

Quote Originally Posted by kayo198 View Post
    thank you, that really helps...are the unlicensed cards lower in value in general? Do most people only collect licensed cards (ie topps, bowman?)

Any other you would recommend?
    Baseball collectors are generally very cheap and they love licensed stuff. Most of the unlicensed stuff will sell very poorly versus the licensed stuff so that might be a factor when going after something to resell it but if you are going for something that you personally collect that might be a much cheaper alternative. Because they are cheap baseball really lacks high end products especially compared to hockey and most of the stuff Topps makes that is high end in baseball is garbage so lower end and medium range stuff usually gives you the best bang for your buck.

Thanks, I am mainly interested in on card autos, would you recommend a particular product for that? Also, do you know of any UK/european baseball card sellers? Awfully expensive shipping from the US...
    Collecting:

Quote Originally Posted by kayo198 View Post
    Thanks, I am mainly interested in on card autos, would you recommend a particular product for that? Also, do you know of any UK/european baseball card sellers? Awfully expensive shipping from the US...
    I unfortunately don't know of any European card sellers. Somebody else on here might though as there are a lot of European members.

As for on card Topps isn't really big on that except for a few sets and sometimes it changes. Like I said it is weird because they usually use on card autographs for cheaper products like Bowman Chrome Draft and Topps Heritage but sometimes they have $100 a pack products with sticker autographs.

I'd say something like 2013 Topps Chrome or 2013 Topps Finest if you want on card autographs of rookies since they seem to be some of the "better" products made by Topps this year.