Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Michigan Wolverines Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @kylemclaren7 See kydollarsign's Items on eBay Instagram:

i met a man last night who owns 114 copies of the 05/06 matt cooke ud game jersey card. So........

lmao whyyyyy

SCF Rewards
    Country

Funny to hear everyone saying the same thing. I adjusted my collecting habits because of all this. Bottom line? I still really enjoy doing this. Bigger picture is that I tired of buying 37 variations from 24 different releases each year trying to keep up my Steve Young collection so my PC is now just one "best card" of every 49er player. The goal is to have the "best card" of every player to put on a Niner uniform since 1981. It keeps it interesting during the draft and free agency, but it's not like I have to get 100 variations of one player's card just to keep my OCD at bay. It also allows me to really search for rare, offbeat stuff, which makes up at least 20% of my PC. So, occasionally I buy a mid-level box to break with friends and my friends kids. I give commons away to friends, or friends with kids who want to get in to collecting. MUCH more satisfying then dropping $$$ on high end stuff and feeling like I could have burned the money and felt the same feeling of being duped. I would love nothing more than to have these companies scale way back on the 20 releases each year, and/or focus more on giving me more of a range of players. I feel like collapse is imminent. I'd rather see short printed 7th round draft picks (cards for players who don't get cards) than WORTHLESS Peyton Manning subsets.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

Now that its been over 80 days, I'd like an update on OPs situation.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

He's bustin more boxes than he is moves. He needs Wax Rehab.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I know where OP is coming from. I have collected hockey cards all my life. I didn't spend that much money on it leading up to 2001-2002 when I quit. I did get into drinking and using very heavily and spent more money than I care to fathom. I have been back collecting since 2010-11 season. I get disgusted sometimes by the lack of money I can get back on the boxes I just bought.

Then I think about those drinking and using days inwhich I have nothing to show for it except epilepsy, organ failure and bad teeth. It feels sometimes that I am just filling a void by buying hockey cards and other collectibles.

Then I think... the hockey cards I have and the collectibles I own are worth money! The alcohol and drugs I put into my system are not because I dont have them anymore and it's impossible to get them back.

So I continue collecting. I just try and be a little smarter about my investments. It's hard, cause I so badly just wanna bust wax!

That's why I stick to ITG for boxes and buy singles on the secondary market to feed my habit. Much better return on ITG and it's not always the same boring crap.

My 2 cents. 2 cents.. its about all I had left after my using days. Look at me now... 2 cents but lotsa cards! LOL
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I never loose that bad on wax. You have to take advantage of the whole box of cards. You have to sell the base into team lots. Move the lower end cards for small amounts. Send in cards to beckett or PSA. it is not all about what you can sell a card for on ebay as that market is low. You have to be patient and just have fun with it. Also, try to open boxes where you have more than one pack such as the cup and ultimate. Enjoy the cards, read some stats, have fun with the wax. Do not quit because you were silly and overpaid for some boxes from your LCS and could have spent less buying from blowout or dacardworld.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

I never loose that bad on wax. You have to take advantage of the whole box of cards. You have to sell the base into team lots. Move the lower end cards for small amounts. Send in cards to beckett or PSA. it is not all about what you can sell a card for on ebay as that market is low. You have to be patient and just have fun with it. Also, try to open boxes where you have more than one pack such as the cup and ultimate. Enjoy the cards, read some stats, have fun with the wax. Do not quit because you were silly and overpaid for some boxes from your LCS and could have spent less buying from blowout or dacardworld.

In my opinion, 30% back on your purchase price is bad. Some people might consider that good, so its about perception. Sending cards for grading doesn't always work out. Collectors will pay less for an 8.5 than something that is ungraded. Disagree with comments about Cup or overpaying from LCS. Most LCS have something called community and overhead, which isn't offered by the big box companies. Support your local businesses too, it helps your community. As for not buying high end, I've found that the Return on investment on a case of Cup far exceeds any other purchases.

SCF Rewards
    Country

what is community that LCS' have. Why are people buying boxes and just planning on selling the cards. that's not fun. Keep some trade some and slab some.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See andrew_co1's Items on eBay

I always get about 20-25% back on UD products. Majority will, as half the time the "case hit" might still only cover your box plus an extra 50%

Now ITG on the other hand so far this year:

2 boxes of Stickwork (cost 280$CAD) contents sold = 490$US

3 boxes of ITG Used (cost 420$CAD) contents sale value = 500$US (thats with someone even telling me a card wouldnt sell more than 50$US, and the same day was snagged from me on ebay at 120$US)

1 box heroes and prospects = Michael Dal Colle Draft Prospects Auto /13 - Sold for 80$US (box was 90$CAD). Also a profit box.

When it comes to secondary value ITG >>>>>>>>>>>> Upper Deck. How often do you buy a single mid end UD product and actually get something worth while? Like SPx or Crown Royale. Crown Royale is a great example also, as I got in on a group break with STLsportscards. There were too big case hits, a Messier Silhouettes /5 (~250$ card), and i got the second as i had the leafs, Pacific's Choice Die Cut Auto Holo Bronze /5 James Reimer. Reimer will pay for a single box, and was the second best hit out of a 10 box case.

If your plan is to make money, go with ITG. A case of something like Stickwork or ITG Used is going to be worth WAY more than two-three tins of the cup almost every time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

nice post andrewconnors9, the no license kills ITG for me. I know some like it. It cheapens the cards to me. I want to see logos and team names on cards. I may try a box of ITG though for fun if the return is so fantastic. What do you recommend for a new collector? I do not want BTP as a product with all goalies seems strange to me.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast