Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Country
    See gohabsgo89's Items on eBay

Is the card's value will go down? 90's remember

Hi everyone,

After a quick look at releases dates for all the hockey stuffs for 2013-2014, I asked myself: Will our recent cards will keep their value in 10-20 years? Like the OPC back in the days ?

Panini has 5-10 products,
    UD has 5-10 products
    ITG has 3-6 products.

Will all the cards made, all more and more original one than another, what will normal high-ends from 13-14 will Worth in 10 years ?

I remember first jersey card valued for a fortune when I came on the market, and now it doesn't really Worth somethign because.. bleh.. one color jersey, not a patch, not enough seems on it, not numbered low enough ..

I am not collecting for money at all. I mostly collect retired or dead players already... it's just a question that was in my head for several months !

What are your tought on that ? Do you think they're is too many kind of cards produced right now and the hobby is starting to look like the mid 90's ?
    Last edited by GoHabsGo89; 01-09-2014 at 12:47 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

You can count on it crashing, our society is obsessed with youth and NEW...listen to an auto commercial and you will here New, all New, totally New etc at least 3-5 times, maybe 2-3 players who transcend the sport MAY hold value...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I agree it will crash and its already crashing right now. Check out how cheap Crosbys Autos are now. Stamkos is extremely cheap except his rookie year cards.

I think 2-3 rookies from each year have a chance to hold some kind of value in 10-20 years. The only way to stop this from happening is to eliminate 1 company or cut all companies releases to 5 a year. Year after year the rookies from that year will sell then fall just like they do now nothing will change. If a player becomes someone their cards will sky rocket kind of like Stamkos, Erik Karlsson, Letang, and Hertl come to mind. Its not like the hobby is growing its actually getting smaller and will continue to do so. Kids cant collect now days because their cards are "worthless" no one wants them. Kids don't trade cards or play games with them. I know because Im 17. I wanted some Pens autographs found the Sports card world and got hooked. I was lucky. How many kids collect in my school a pretty big school NONE.

Anyways a select few players cards will be worth something in 10-20 but they wont hold their value. The cards will fall in price every year.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

I think most cards will have almost no value but auto should still hold a certain value because auto as been around for ages. Rare cards too will hold value a good example is Ken Dryden that never wanted to sign for card company so you have like 14 1/1 cut auto and the 1991-92 Future Trends Canada '72 LTD Autograph auto that never was a print run release. So maybe 100 cards total, maybe a bit more or less then this.

So some cards will hold a certain value but most will either go down and see no demand at all. Remember that back then, early 90's there was not much auto of other cards that had a appeal and serial was not in place much. They did produce so many of the same cards that they kill the collectability. But now with serial, auto and mem, some cards should hold some value down the road but don't expect this from base or regular insert unless they are really cool and serial. But demand will go down since all seem to want the new stuff the most.

Also will the cardboard still be around??? Maybe it will be video card and collectors might not want much of the older cards, who knows LOL

Country

Allright .. So I guess : Let's collect the most Gretzky OPC Rc that I can !!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Allright .. So I guess : Let's collect the most Gretzky OPC Rc that I can !!

No! Collect what you like, what you love, screw the "value"...........there will always be some sort of market for a lot of the over-produced junk being spewed out even now, there will always be player collectors, set collectors, team collectors. Me, I'm 45, and I collect a lot of guys who were retired or dead before I was even born. ITG makes cards for ME, as well as a whole bunch of guys just like me. The prices on Crosby and Stamkos and Ovi are falling because they were artificially high to begin with. Seriously, there's 999 copies of that FWA and probably who knows how many YGs!!! So many people (me included) HAVE to get the first copy of a card they see on the eBay, even if it's numbered out of 100, so we overpay and that becomes the "value" and then months later we're stunned that the card is selling for X amount of dollars less, but guess what, my favorite player doesn't have 100 collectors, so suck it Ed!

Ed does not care though (it's pretty close to being Third-Person Thursday)......... Ed collects what he likes and is comforted by the knowledge that SOME of it will hold onto some sort of value, because there's always a next generation of collectors waiting to discover Eddie Shore & Howie Morenz.

Ed is super-tired, and the green coffee diet pills are making his heart go Ka-CHOW Ka-CHOW..........time to go away now. Gnitey!!

Country

No! Collect what you like, what you love, screw the "value"...........there will always be some sort of market for a lot of the over-produced junk being spewed out even now, there will always be player collectors, set collectors, team collectors. Me, I'm 45, and I collect a lot of guys who were retired or dead before I was even born. ITG makes cards for ME, as well as a whole bunch of guys just like me. The prices on Crosby and Stamkos and Ovi are falling because they were artificially high to begin with. Seriously, there's 999 copies of that FWA and probably who knows how many YGs!!! So many people (me included) HAVE to get the first copy of a card they see on the eBay, even if it's numbered out of 100, so we overpay and that becomes the "value" and then months later we're stunned that the card is selling for X amount of dollars less, but guess what, my favorite player doesn't have 100 collectors, so suck it Ed!

Ed does not care though (it's pretty close to being Third-Person Thursday)......... Ed collects what he likes and is comforted by the knowledge that SOME of it will hold onto some sort of value, because there's always a next generation of collectors waiting to discover Eddie Shore & Howie Morenz.

Ed is super-tired, and the green coffee diet pills are making his heart go Ka-CHOW Ka-CHOW..........time to go away now. Gnitey!!

Interesting!!

I mostly collect retired and dead players too haha.. I have a real passion for Morenz, Rocket,Beliveau and Gretzky! This is why ITG is my favourite compagny too!

The only actual players I do really collect is Sidney Crosby. But then again, with all the carda he will sign in the next 30 years, the scripted swatches that we buy for 250-300$ will probably sell for 50$ even if he will be one of the greatest of all time !

SCF Rewards
    Country

Of course cards will decrease in value. It has happened before and it'll happen again. That's why you should collect what you love and not get carried away by the cards' value, whatever it might be.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I truly believe for the most part rookies are the only thing that will hold value. Of course one must just figure out which rookie will be a player will be hot and unload them in a timely manner. I truly hate when people focus on value and not just enjoying the hobby. IMO that what made the hobby tank when investor not collectors started buying cards just to hold as a investment. Companies started pumping out so much stuff it became worthless.

Today they do the same thing but just number it lower while putting out a dozen products, with dozen of sub products within the original product. A player can have literally thousand of cards in a few years and not many collectors can afford the coin to buy them all. So when that player does not pan out even rare cards can be had for a lower price down the toad compared to what it sold for upon release.

I wish you the best in obtaining cards for the pc. ITG and retired players is a good bet IMO.

Don

Country

I truly believe for the most part rookies are the only thing that will hold value. Of course one must just figure out which rookie will be a player will be hot and unload them in a timely manner. I truly hate when people focus on value and not just enjoying the hobby. IMO that what made the hobby tank when investor not collectors started buying cards just to hold as a investment. Companies started pumping out so much stuff it became worthless.

Today they do the same thing but just number it lower while putting out a dozen products, with dozen of sub products within the original product. A player can have literally thousand of cards in a few years and not many collectors can afford the coin to buy them all. So when that player does not pan out even rare cards can be had for a lower price down the toad compared to what it sold for upon release.

I wish you the best in obtaining cards for the pc. ITG and retired players is a good bet IMO.

Don

Thanks for the answer!

Personally, I am not doing it for the value at all. It's rough when you take a look at the value of your cards that cost you lot of money and you realize that the cards value at 80% less than when you bought it!

I have a Paul Kariya PC that cost me around 4000$ to build. 1 by 1, those cards are Worth around 700$ ! But I really don't care, I loved that player too much for letting that PC go !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast