Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Better D-Man

SCF Rewards
    Country

The Better D-Man

I have been disputing with a friend of mine with two certain players on who you would rather have on your team CURRENTLY. Me, saying Shea Weber and my friend saying Erik Karlsson, so who would you rather have to lead your blueline for a Cup run? And this is current, not future.

SCF Graphics

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See dnjcards's Items on eBay

They are both amazing defenseman but I would personally take Weber, Karlsson is an amazing offensive defenseman but he isn't the greatest on defense for the most part, while Weber will get points as well as be good defensively and he's more of a leader. Regardless though they are both amazing defenseman with incredible talent so you can't really go wrong with either.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Weber is well rounded. Karlsson can score .... and seems to have a lot of defensive issues.

Weber is a beast, enough to intimidate others ...... ummmmm Karlsson can score.

Weber is a leader, captain of his team ..... did I mention Karlsson can score?

O ya ..... Weber can also score
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Karlsson makes a lot of great defensive plays, but I find it's become popular opinion from people who don't see him every game to just say he's a defensive liability. He does have some bad giveaways, but those tend to come when he is the only player on the team giving an effort, and therefore starts trying to do it all by himself. Ottawa has not been good defensively all season, and Karlsson has routinely had to break up 2 on 1 plays because of a bad pass by a teammate, or chase down somebody on a breakaway to poke the puck away at the last second. He may not have the size and intimidation factor (though he has been hitting more this year) but his positional play is fantastic and he routinely stops scoring chances before they can even develop.

To answer your question, at this point right now I would take Weber, but I don't think it'll be that long before Karlsson's an easy choice.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I have a bias here, having watched Shea play since he was a teenager. I have maintained for many, many years now that if Shea Weber played for a Canadian team, all the hype and pomp & circumstance that people used to trumpet for Dion Phaneuf would have been entirely directed at Weber. He is such a superior player in almost every facet of the game. He's got a slapper that can literally burn a hole through the net. Leader on his team. Guaranteed Olympian for as long as the NHL sends players to the Games. Will win at least 2-3 Norris Trophies in the coming years.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

I would say Weber over Karlsson any day, unless my team had a dire need for an offensive defenseman. If my D couldn't move the puck up, I might see Karlsson having a greater impact on my team, but Weber can do just about everything and could be counted on to do more in almost every case.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Best defender = who has most points....NO, but that is how it goes
    #1 Karlsson 58pts...but -15
    #4 Weber 38 pts...but -8

I would pick at least 10 guys over these 2 more well known D-men, but that's not the Question...I really don't know, seems relative, if I'm an Oliers fan....WEBER!!!....If I need offense....,meh, I would acquire a sniper/forward....

Weber it is than

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Blmdear's Items on eBay

Karlsson makes a lot of great defensive plays, but I find it's become popular opinion from people who don't see him every game to just say he's a defensive liability. He does have some bad giveaways, but those tend to come when he is the only player on the team giving an effort, and therefore starts trying to do it all by himself. Ottawa has not been good defensively all season, and Karlsson has routinely had to break up 2 on 1 plays because of a bad pass by a teammate, or chase down somebody on a breakaway to poke the puck away at the last second. He may not have the size and intimidation factor (though he has been hitting more this year) but his positional play is fantastic and he routinely stops scoring chances before they can even develop.

To answer your question, at this point right now I would take Weber, but I don't think it'll be that long before Karlsson's an easy choice.

Karlsson has always been average on his defense game. Throughout his career, he has never been considered anything other than average when it comes to defense. His biggest aspect is his offense for sure. You can watch 25 games or you can watch every game. It hasn't changed. Its not that he thinks he has to do it all himself......that is his game.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So then who WOULD you pick in front of them?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Karlsson has always been average on his defense game. Throughout his career, he has never been considered anything other than average when it comes to defense. His biggest aspect is his offense for sure. You can watch 25 games or you can watch every game. It hasn't changed. Its not that he thinks he has to do it all himself......that is his game.

Never said his biggest aspect was his defense... but watch his defense and you will see it is not what many people say it is was my point... Perhaps reading the full post would have helped.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast