Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

I used to collect Phil kessel, but being the best player in the worlds largest hockey market isn't easy.Especially when your broke lol.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (29)
    Country
    See wogman5656's Items on eBay

I collected Ales Hemsky cards pretty heavily during his first 4 years in the league. However, the "parallel hell" that Matt mentioned, coupled with the sticker dump parallel hell in about EVERY product drove me over the edge. I sold a lot of the cards that were rather meaningless to me or that I new I could still recoup some fairly decent money out of (Premier Gold Auto RC/SPA Auto RC Patches (I had 12 at one point) and kept a few that I really liked such as his YG, SPA RC, Premier Auto RC, and a few other choice cards. Do I regret it? Not at all, I used the money to fund a new set of golf clubs, a nice vacation, and a down payment on a car.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

My answer is simple... When I got back into the hobby, the idea of player collecting was totally foreign to me, but seemed to be a popular avenue for collecting, so I thought I'd give it a shot. After 2-3 years of trying to super collect Kyle Turris, I realized that I was just not intrinsically a player collector kind of collector, and abandoned ship and went back to my much more natural state of set collecting. Hey, you live and you learn. :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have seen lots of people stop PCing players over the years that have had collection that have ranged from very few cards to multiple hundreds of very nice cards and was curious to see if any of you have experienced this and if so share why you stopped your PC of that player whether they got traded or you needed cash.
    A few questions I am interested in seeing are -
    Was it a hard decision?
    Who was the player, did you lose a lot in selling or trading them all away?
    How did you get rid of them?
    Do you regret getting rid of the players collection?
    Why did you start collecting them?

Looking forward to seeing what you say, please feel free to add more insight than the questions

C.J.

I'm never going to be considered a super collector, not even in the ballpark, but I've got a few guys I collect more than others, Koivu, Subban, Price, Eller, Roy. I'm more of a team collector than anything, if the player has a CH on his chest I'm interested. That being said I'm from Manitoba, so when the Jets came back to town, I thought it would be a good idea to pc a player, decided on Burmistov. Never went crazy with the collection, but I did have multiple young guns, gold rookies and some other lower end stuff, aswell as some jerseys and auto's. I very quickly lost interest in it, as happy I was that Winnipeg got a team back, I was never a fan of the Jets. It only took maybe 6 months before I was trying to trade it all away, lucky for me so many people jumped on that Jets Bandwagon, friends and family were more than happy to accept the cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm on the verge of deciding where my pc players future lies....

PC Player? Devan Dubnyk

Hard Decision? Yes/No.... Being an oiler fan, and with Dubnyk no longer in the mix, its easier to let go of the PC collection.

Selling/Trading away? Ill probably keep his stuff, the value of his cards dropped like 500% this year, so unless he puts on his big boy pants and regains his stature of an nhl goaltender, I burned my money haha. I still look occasionally to see if one of the cards I need pop up on ebay. I've already passed up on a couple printing plates that have gone for less then $10. Id still like to finish my letters on my SPGU Team marks tho haha.... 3 letters I haven't even seen pop up since the release :S.

Why did you start collecting him? He was an up and coming goalie in the oiler system that showed good potential and growth through the early stages of his career. He was one of my favorite oiler rookies. It was also fun to find his stuff being a player that wasn't highly sought after. But I also realize that it got expensive buying all the low end parallels all the time, especially tacking on all the shipping costs. So now I focus my attention on more of the mid-end + cards to justify the shipping costs. So that being said I probably would never "super collect" a player again.
    Last edited by oogabooga99; 03-30-2014 at 01:00 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I couldn't imagine collecting a current player, with so many cards issued today. All the parallels, etc are just staggering. I PC 3 players. Ex players, HOF'ers. Scott Stevens, Chris Chelios and Pavel Bure. I stick mainly with issues during their playing years. If I get a little burnt out on one player, I start compiling one of the other two and on and on. I doubt I ever stop collecting any of the 3, but I'll take breaks here and there
    Last edited by DavidLanceRoten; 03-30-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HobbyInsider(13)
    Country
    See Hockeyplaya4life25's Items on eBay

Was it a hard decision?

At first it was but I decided it was for the better so I ran with it and never looked back.

Logan Couture was mine best PC I've ever had. Acquired many great ones over the time I was collecting him. I actually made out very well, but could have probably gotten a little more had I sold them earlier.

I put most up on eBay and some sold through the forums. A few are still lingering in the trade pile and I have started listing those ones up throughout the forums/eBay as well.

Some days I look back on it and do, but then again I also see how much his cards have risen since I first started and feel that I made the right decision. Focusing on Sateri is a whole lot cheaper and I have more of a passion for collecting Game-Used items now.

Back in the 2008-09 season, Couture got brought up to San Jose's AHL affiliate in Worcester where I have season tickets. It was around my Birthday and I wanted to learn more about him. I looked him up and ultimately decided I would start to collect him. I went to the LCS and picked up his first few H&P base cards and got one IP Autographed. That's what started the whole collection. From that first game I felt he was a very nice player and would be a star in the making. The following year (09-10) he was in Worcester and lit it up until his recall around 45 games into the season. He continued to light it up and I continued adding more cards. As the time moved on, school/sports had gotten crazy so I went on a little hiatus from the hobby for a few months, got behind on my checklists and following the releases as closely. Everything was not caught up and the prices were skyrocketing. I decided that at that point, it would be best for me to slow down and go a different direction. Although Couture is still one of my favorite players.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jmlalala's Items on eBay

Brandon Sutter. May have lost a little bit but I think I came out pretty even

Another Sutter collector. Most of my nicer ones in one or two sales, the other lower-end ones in other trades.

Nope, may have regretted it for a day or two but after that, really glad I did it. The $ I made from it helped get me some Callahan's I needed, who is my favorite player. And looking at recent sales, it doesn't appear that him being on the Penguins has brought his value up

I realized the real reason why I was collecting him in the 1st place wasn't right - I pulled 3 RC's of him and started a collection lol. He was on the Canes at the time and I didn't have access to watching him, so it didn't make sense to me why I should put money into him when I could be spending it on players I actually like and watch on a regular basis. Kinda why it was easy to get rid of them.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've been a Radulov Super Collector once. My collection was enough big to earn the the SCF badge.

I no longer collect him. I still like the player and I dont care about what he do off the ice. I love his intensity !

Why then ? I have less interest in bying cards.

Too many releases, too expensive, too many 1/1s, fake repatch new coming, russian fake cards, etc. I paid the price for each card but when you try to sell one, you loose money for sure.

Sometime I regret to have stopped and sold nice patches and rare cards. I kept almost the best rookies. But when I remember why I sold some, I dont regret lol. I dont like selling my things. I also collect movies & historical weapons and last year I sold a sword 2150$, a piece I paid 200$ one year before ! I was Lucky to get this price because it was in high demand by this time. This sword still missing in my armoury :) Sometime, who care about price when you like a thing ? Its probably what every PCer think when they buy a card they are the only person who's willing to pay this price to get it in your mailbox :)

I also collected Patrick Roy for 23 years now. I have 1859 different cards. Since 2013, I've bought but a few. Why releasing as much cards every year in every set, when he is retired since 11 years ? Crazy. I can't afford any of them. Cards companies finally had me.
    Last edited by Barahir; 03-30-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I never stopped collecting Trevor Linden, but I did stop actively collecting his stuff because there's just too much for the collection I would want, so I just pick up the odd one here and there and enjoy what I've got.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast