Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Post Study: More money spent on schools does NOT equal better results

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-suggests.html

The costs of sending students through school have more than tripled in real terms over the past 40 years, yet despite the billions of extra taxpayers dollars being spent, the results students are achieving show almost no improvement.

Andrew Coulson who conducted the study believes the answer is simple - that there's no discernible correlation between spending and results.

'What we’ve done over the past 40 years hasn’t worked,' said Coulson, director of the Center For Educational Freedom at the CATO Institute.

'The average performance change nationwide has declined 3 percent in mathematical and verbal skills. Moreover, there’s been no relationship, effectively, between spending and academic outcomes.'

Coulson just released his study, 'State Education Trends: Academic Performance and Spending over the Past 40 Years,' and he points to this chart that incorporates costs and the number of public school employees with student enrollment and test scores.

Rob Nikolewski who has been looking at the study noted in Watchdog.org that while spending has just about tripled in inflation-adjusted dollars and the number of school employees has almost doubled since 1970, reading, math and science scores for students have remained stagnant.

'That is remarkably unusual,' Coulson wrote in his study. 'In virtually every other field, productivity has risen over this period thanks to the adoption of countless technological advances — advances that, in many cases, would seem ideally suited to facilitating learning.

And yet, surrounded by this torrent of progress, education has remained anchored to the riverbed, watching the rest of the world rush past it.'

Coulson also says that not only is there no evidence that spending increases improve scores, he says the statistics show that decreases in spending have no discernible effect in negatively influencing student scores.

'At one time or another over the past four decades, Alaska, California, Florida and New York all experienced multi-year periods over which real spending fell substantially (20 percent or more of their 1972 expenditure levels),' he wrote. 'And yet, none of these states experienced noticeable declines in adjusted SAT scores.'

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

More money spent does not mean better.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

The state can spend all the money it wants but if the kids are not being educated at home their efforts are in vain.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

You cannot judge the affects "money spent" has on education unless all the other factors remain constant and since the studies are using different generations in their comparisons you cannot reliably come to the conclusion that more money does not help.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

You cannot judge the affects "money spent" has on education unless all the other factors remain constant and since the studies are using different generations in their comparisons you cannot reliably come to the conclusion that more money does not help.

I can. I work in the school system at the building level and my wife works at the state level. We constantly see large grants dumped into struggling school systems with no result because of poor administration of the funds. School systems commonly use extra funds for things like new computers (with no viable training to help teachers better integrate them into lessons), new building renovations, new textbooks, new desks, etc. while ignoring the need to educate teachers that haven't been to college in 10+ years on how to use new methodologies.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I can. I work in the school system at the building level and my wife works at the state level. We constantly see large grants dumped into struggling school systems with no result because of poor administration of the funds. School systems commonly use extra funds for things like new computers (with no viable training to help teachers better integrate them into lessons), new building renovations, new textbooks, new desks, etc. while ignoring the need to educate teachers that haven't been to college in 10+ years on how to use new methodologies.

No, you can't. You have no way of knowing what the results of less money would be in today's climate. Less money 40 years ago included a whole different set of factors that are not constant over that passage of time.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

No, you can't. You have no way of knowing what the results of less money would be in today's climate. Less money 40 years ago included a whole different set of factors that are not constant over that passage of time.

No, I am not psychic, so I can not say with certainty, but I can see how money is used now so I feel pretty confident that more money has not resulted in better results.

Example: Our county has spent approximately $600,000 buying netbooks so that every high school student in our county can have access to technology. My daughter, who is a senior hasn't even carried hers to school most days because the teachers never use them. teachers have not been educated on how to integrate them into the classroom or lessons and no software has been added to them to make them useful in collaborative learning. Teachers are supposed to just figure it out. Add in that many websites are blocked, any software a teacher wants to use needs to be pre-approved by the tech department (red tape) purchased by the teacher (more red tape) and then a request to have the software installed has to be made to the tech department (even more red tape) and then if the teacher is lucky it may be installed sometime in the next 6-8 months.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Anyone who thinks more money = better results simply isn't thinking. If that's honestly what you think, double your education budget and spend it paying me to do nothing. You're spending more, so your kids will be geniuses, right?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

Anyone who thinks more money = better results simply isn't thinking. If that's honestly what you think, double your education budget and spend it paying me to do nothing. You're spending more, so your kids will be geniuses, right?

I agree......

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

more money can mean better education, but if you are not spending it on things that do promote better education, then it will not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast