Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Honestly, just spend $40 more and get showcase.

I may just do this. I like how Showcase looks. Awesome design and classic sets as well.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have to offer a counter opinion - I think it's a fun break and honestly, if you get the right player(s) on some of those tougher inserts, you will be really happy...of course that's true for any product I guess. I also bought a bulk lot of leftover inserts and did awesome piecing them out on the bay. Maybe because not so much of it was opened?

I'm also considering breaking a case of it.
    aka Bear Ridge Collectibles

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I agree with French Connection. I have to, it's basically the same thing I said :) Lot's of insert sub-sets to follow and in 20 packs you will receive more than 20 inserts. Some are parallels but they are all different pictures. To say 1992-1994 Fleer cards weren't popular is a huge under-statement. It wasn't worth money back then because it was the early 90s and they were mass produced. For me at my age and growing up watching hockey and buying cards at that time the retro look of those cards is appealing to me and you can find awesome deals buying these cards in lots on the secondary market and can have just as much fun just getting rid of the doubles.

I would be interested in some boxes but not at $75. more like $60-65. I did get a hobby box on an eBay auction for $50 once and it yielded a single card worth that price.
    Last edited by Cunnuc; 04-20-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

thank you. I now may just buy a couple once the price drops one more time to 70 or lower. I think the insert sets are cool and 20 packs sounds like a lot of fun

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

Yep, stay away. The reason it dropped so much in price is because it's filled with crap. Stickers of nobody's that no one but the player's Mom wants a copy of.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Upper Deck used this product to get rid of bunch of old sticker Autos of players who are no longer in the NHL, in order to get a return on their investment. A good example of sticking it to the collectors.

You mean -- A good way of "stickering" it to the collectors!
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country

i saw a couple breaks and the inserts and cards looked very cool. I guess there was not much value with the hits you get but I think you receive 6 per box

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Andrew_zachary1988's Items on eBay

Basketball styled inserts

The inserts in Fleer Retro are a throwback to the inserts in Fleer Ultra Hockey 96-97. I am pretty sure the style used in Retro came before basketball, they made a Fleer Ultra set for baseball as well. Enough said about the autos, but I loved the retro inserts, they were the big draw to the product for me, had this product been in the $60 range, I would have busted way more, I would say $75 is still to pricy for such a insert-heavy set.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

The inserts in Fleer Retro are a throwback to the inserts in Fleer Ultra Hockey 96-97. I am pretty sure the style used in Retro came before basketball, they made a Fleer Ultra set for baseball as well.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. It would indeed have been better to see ANY of the cooler (not Ultra Stars) Ultra HOCKEY inserts resurrected for 12/13 Retro - like Premier Pad Men, Red Light Specials, Power, Global Greats, Crease Crashers, Ultraview, or 96/97's Clear the Ice and Mr. Momentum - but NONE of these were included (at least there was a return of 96/97 Flair's Hot Shots). What did we get? These:

Jambalaya - Basketball
    Golden Touch - Basketball
    Playmaker's Theatre - Basketball
    Intimidation Nation - initially Basketball, then FB and BB
    Rookie Sensations - best known as $$ cards in Basketball
    Noyz Boyz - Basketball
    Electrifying - Basketball
    PMG - best known as $$ cards in Basketball
    Autographics - initially Basketball

I really LOVED most of these sets in the mid- to late-90's - when I was buying them as BASKETBALL cards. Some of them work OK as hockey cards, but they completely failed in their intended draw as RETRO reminders of the heydays of the 90's HOCKEY issues. The JAM in Jambalaya is purely a basketball term; Noyz Boyz is associated ONLY with basketball (at least in my hockey card collector's mind). Others may be applied to hockey, but have no HISTORY with hockey. This situation combined with a massive sticker dump and a complete mis-read of the market resulted in the massive FAILURE of this product.

It'll probably never hit $50/box, but that's about what it's worth IMO.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I will wait for it to drop to 70 or lower and then I will be in for a couple

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast