Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habscards's Items on eBay

Collecting For My Son---Question for you guy

I have a son who is a year and half. Long story short is that I want to have some collection for him when. I would love to collect something now that he can sell when he goes off to University or College or buys his first house.

I am just looking for something that is a little special.

I pretty much came up with a couple ideas but I thought that I would run it by you guys first.

-collect the Young Guns set for every year that he has been born. I would just be this and last years sets to collect. It would not be that big of a project but with Series One and Series Two.

-collect the Future Watch set every year. I would just have last years to collect and then slowly put together this years set. It would be a lot more expensive but I think that it would really hold its value. Plus compared to the Young Guns set it will be less cards to chase.

-collect nicer rookies of all of the top end players. The cards will hold their value over time but it is just a harder project to do because where do you draw the line? With the other options their is a definitive amount of cards for me to get. With this option it is just too wide open.

What do you guys think is the best?

Do you guys have any other options that you can think of?

Thanks for any help.
    Jeff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

"Other Option" !!! Take what you could afford to "invest" in cards every month and put it into the best 17 year investment program available. What that investment is I am not an expert on, but it isn't hockey cards!!!!
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I started collecting for my Son, He is 14 and hates Sports, that is why my 500K cards are now down to below 10K. There is no need if the next generation thinks a $400 card just needs to be dumped in the garbage because he won't put in the hard yards to sell it when he is 40 years old.

Put a dedicated amount of money in an Education Fund. That means the money can only be used for University, and not for beer and prostitutes.

Investing money in Hockey cards is losing money, don't even think of doing it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joshpackham's Items on eBay

will second the education fund, government of Canada will donate so much per year based on what you put in, I just had a son and this is what we will be doing, I know it will be used for what it is intended this for
    Hidden Content
    I collect Ovechkin, Matt Johnson and Nathan Horton

MY PC
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Defenitly education fund or some kind of savings account that can't be opened until he's 18. Hockey cards aren't a investment their a hobby no investment opportunity with cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I gotta agree with everyone else. No point in collecting cards just for the sole purpose of selling them down the road. If you think he will share your passion for the hobby and actually keep and enjoy them, by all means.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See truepar's Items on eBay

I have a 4 year old son. I've started taking him to the card store with me as they give him popcorn and he can sit and watch me pick up my cards. The last couple of times I've gone, he's enjoyed opening up some cheap Victory cards (LCS has $5 blasters). He puts some into a binder and stuffs the rest into a little bag of cards and stickers he keeps.

If he begins to get interested in cards and wants to collect, perfect. If not, no big deal. I am collecting 1 set for every year he's been alive with the idea of giving to him when he's older. But it's not for investment; just for interests sake. If some of the sets/cards become valuable, then great. He can do what he pleases with them.

As for pure financial/investments -- we have seperate longterm savings for him. I wouldn't trust the card industry to fund his college years.

:)

Stew

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habscards's Items on eBay

Maybe I should have added this in the original post.

My wife and I work at the same place and thus have the same payday every two weeks. We put $100 into an education fund already for him. That is $2,600 a year and over 18 years equals $46,800. That is before the government adds their portion and before interest.

Man will he be rich compared to me having to pay for everything but such is life. Just try to make it easier for the next person.

I am just looking for a side project that we can hopefully work on together in the upcoming years.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you're doing this in hopes that your son collects with you when he grows up and it will be a nice bonding hobby between the both of you, then just collect within your budget. If you're planning on collecting cards just for the investment, then read the comments above - not the greatest idea. You will never get back what you put into this hobby over the years.

My father did the same thing for me 10-15 years ago. He spend lots of money over those years making a collection for himself and at the same time expecting me to sell the collection to help with my education once he had passed away (he had cancer and passed away 5 years ago). After he passed, I went through the whole collection, and selling it all wouldn't have even paid for a single textbook. It did though put my foot in the door of the hobby, and since then I have sold most of the cards and started my own collection of hockey cards and it's a nice way for me to remember my father or in your case collect with your son once he grows up.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See truepar's Items on eBay

In that case, I think the Young Guns subset would be pretty cool; especially since you know it'll be around year in and year out. It's a challenge, but can be completed, so that's cool.

Stew

Maybe I should have added this in the original post.

My wife and I work at the same place and thus have the same payday every two weeks. We put $100 into an education fund already for him. That is $2,600 a year and over 18 years equals $46,800. That is before the government adds their portion and before interest.

Man will he be rich compared to me having to pay for everything but such is life. Just try to make it easier for the next person.

I am just looking for a side project that we can hopefully work on together in the upcoming years.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast