Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @Varietyofcards See Weekendwarriorsportscards's Items on eBay

Let's talk about the old AOL chat boards and rooms

Well this is really where all my online sports card dealing began.

I was a John Elway collector at the time. And this AOL experience must have started in 1995 or so.

I was a teenager then and some memories are coming back.

My screen name was Nut7Bronco. Which meant I was a nut for #7 of the Broncos.

Boy were them some fun days. I would sit in the chat room for hours copying and pasting "Looking for Elway cards IM (Instant Message) ME". Wouldn't it be neat to have Instant Messaging here? Ha gotta laugh at the folks that would scroll nonsense to try and disrupt everyone.

One thing I do recall is another member with the screen name CDBG. He would hold weekly auctions for an hour or so in the chat room and would basically give away cool inserts and parallels with very low stating bids. Can't remember the guy's name, he was from Florida.

Other members that come to mind are PSI 13X (believe his name was Aaron, collected Tim Biakabutuka) and a guy named Gary from Minnesota.

Boy did I claim many Elways in these days.

Sooooooooo what do you wish to share about the wild AOL days!? Anyone recall what I touched on?

Brian
    Last edited by bangsportscards; 05-17-2014 at 01:32 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Wouldn't it be neat to have Instant Messaging here?

We do. :)
    Andrew Bailey Supercollector: 224/255 not including 1/1's (87.8%); 254/458 cards including 1/1's(55.5%)

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

AOL days?

Were you raised by Senior Citizens in a knitting commune? I have never been near anything AOL. AOL was so bad that it did not accept Invoices from eBay purchases. It was the Pong of the gaming world within 6 months of it's beginning.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well this is really where all my online sports card dealing began.

I was a John Elway collector at the time. And this AOL experience must have started in 1995 or so.

I was a teenager then and some memories are coming back.

My screen name was Nut7Bronco. Which meant I was a nut for #7 of the Broncos.

Boy were them some fun days. I would sit in the chat room for hours copying and pasting "Looking for Elway cards IM (Instant Message) ME". Wouldn't it be neat to have Instant Messaging here? Ha gotta laugh at the folks that would scroll nonsense to try and disrupt everyone.

One thing I do recall is another member with the screen name CDBG. He would hold weekly auctions for an hour or so in the chat room and would basically give away cool inserts and parallels with very low stating bids. Can't remember the guy's name, he was from Florida.

Other members that come to mind are PSI 13X (believe his name was Aaron, collected Tim Biakabutuka) and a guy named Gary from Minnesota.

Boy did I claim many Elways in these days.

Sooooooooo what do you wish to share about the wild AOL days!? Anyone recall what I touched on?

Brian

I'd be curios as to what cards were popular back then? What the breakdown of the collectors were? Were most people set collectors, player collectors, or did people just collect what was "hot" mostly?
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @Varietyofcards See Weekendwarriorsportscards's Items on eBay

Inserts and parallels evolved in these days. They were being defined really as 1996-1998 really saw a new level for cards with the scarcity and more card options to choose from.

Likely it is maybe near the same as today? You had collectors of each segment. Maybe more set collectors back then given the more simple and affordable way to put them together. Yes lots of people collected players too. Then teams. These days I say more people may be after the "hotter" cards perhaps.