Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See stat_1's Items on eBay

Welcome to SCF!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

Is collecting worth it?

Depends on what you are looking to get out of buying boxes, packs and singles?

Are you looking to follow stocks and buy low and sell high?

If this is the goal, then you have to be lucky as bunch of us were a month ago when we were able to by hobby boxes of 12-13 Panini Certified Hockey at Walmart for $24.95. Most of us did very, very well and likely if you were trying to sell the cards you got, you likely had a chance to double your money back. However, for most of us, we know going in that we are trying to get a least the book value or trade value of what we paid for a box. Example of this is a 2013-14 Upper Deck Series 1 Hockey Box. Buy it when the came out for $80 and you are trying to get that in Book Value without the base cards. Over 90-95% of the time you get this. However, if you are a set collector as I am, you are trying to get as many high end cards in the couple of boxes you break for the set and hope that you get some good trader cards - game used, autos, doubles of rookies, short print cards, etc, to start to complete the set. However, there are not as many of us set collectors out there in any of the 4 major sports. Most people either collect a team or a certain player or players.

Where I am going with this, is that you should be doing this as a hobby. As one person already said on this thread, that some people go to the movies. There are others like my wife that like to read or others such as my mom that like to collect spoons. At the end of the day we all want to pay much less then what the cost of the item is. This in itself provides satisfaction that we are spending our money on items that already have more value then we put into it. I have update my vintage hockey from the early 1980's 2x already from when I originally bought them when I was 6, 7, etc. When doing this, also make sure to not to over spend, but spend what you can when you can.

In the end, no matter what one says or what others think, you have to justify what you want to do in your own mind. Once you do that you can truly enjoy the chase for that next card of your favorite player, team or complete set.

Enjoy and all the best.

Tony
    Last edited by Zuback; 07-04-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12