Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @Varietyofcards See Weekendwarriorsportscards's Items on eBay

Need help buying a used vehicle

First and foremost I want something efficient. Meaning if it gets 40 + miles per gallon I like it. The outside look matters but not the biggest factor.

Honda and Toyota seem to be my favorite makers.

So what will I use the vehicle for? General driving, some interstate travel, a morning paper route in the short term, and maybe during the grass cutting season even hauling around a fold down self propeled mower with a week eater, blower, etc.

I think a model in the years 2000-2010 or such is a good choice for my given sitiation.

Maybe a bigger sized car or truck would be in line for what I need overall?

I think I have things narrowed down to a deal for a vehicle between say $5000-$8000 with that being about my budget.

Yes I would make a down payment then monthly payments. And my credit isnt the best by the way.

Any pointers of how I should go about finding the best deal? What do I need to be aware of that maybe I'm overlooking? Also how may I carry myself towards a seller to get that extra edge?

Tentative plans is to be behind the wheel around my birthday August 30th.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gsj68's Items on eBay

doing the same here,what ive learned for mid/late 2000's vehicles

toyota 4 cylinders,middle rear 3 headbolts will strip,if you see oil or antifreeze on back of motor,walk

honda,some rear disk brakes eat them selves,ask about that

subaru,headgaskets,usually not much of a problem but flat motor makes it a problem

euros are nice but you will be doing many repairs

id say civic or focus hatch
    or
    an older mercedes or jag just because you can,they are nice rides right up to the moment they dont start

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @Varietyofcards See Weekendwarriorsportscards's Items on eBay

doing the same here,what ive learned for mid/late 2000's vehicles

toyota 4 cylinders,middle rear 3 headbolts will strip,if you see oil or antifreeze on back of motor,walk

honda,some rear disk brakes eat them selves,ask about that

subaru,headgaskets,usually not much of a problem but flat motor makes it a problem

euros are nice but you will be doing many repairs

id say civic or focus hatch
    or
    an older mercedes or jag just because you can,they are nice rides right up to the moment they dont start

hmmm cool, thanks.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Toyotas rarely die. With proper maintenance a Toyota odometer will roll over before you ever have a problem. They're still built to last. Their trucks are pretty expensive though, compared to say a Ford.

OPG Storefront Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New England Patriots Boston Bruins Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @patriotsguy See patriots_football_guy's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale
    Member is PayPal Verified

Toyota or Honda. My last Honda was an accord base model 2001. Ended at over 250,000 miles. Needed something newer and bigger. As far as Honda's go, if you go with one near or around 100,000 miles and it has a timing belt make sure you ask if it has been changed, ask to see repair statement on it. Also since the water pump is in the same general area they should have replaced that as well.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

Agreed any Honda over 100,000 need a timing belt and water pump changed.the should run well my brother has 98 civic just rolled to about 400,000 or dam close.Still running well.