Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jffoland's Items on eBay

6 named to be enshrined

The list was just announced, Hasek, Modano, Forsberg, Blake, Coach Pat Burns and Referee Bill McCreary.
    Thoughts ? Hasek and Modano were locks, but what about the others? What about players left out?

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Blake - Popularity Contest winner. Phil Housley was the 1st American Born D-Man to get 1,000 Points and he still waits.

Pat Burns - Builder Category. They messed-up. Burnsy should have been inducted before he passed on. This was a catastrophe for the HOF and they have been hugely criticized for it.

Forsberg - I don't think this guy should be given anything but a dress and some cheese with his whine.

McCreary? - Meh …..

Hasek and Modano - not a doubt.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Hasek and Modano, as were already said.... No brainers, Forsberg, IMO, deserves, it too. Blake I can't argue with, though Tim is right..... Housley should be there too, and likely ahead of Blake. I won't debater refs..... So Burns is the only other one to mention: They wouldn't be guilted into putting him in because he was dying, and they would fixes the mistake right away to save face. It's overdue IMO and they should have done it while he was alive to enjoy it, but better late than never.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Los Angeles Kings
    See cssportsca's Items on eBay

I like that Blake got in but also agree Housley deserves in....but there is nothing that says only 1 defenseman can get in in any given year....is there? if not, then there is nothing saying Blake took his spot....

I have one question to throw out there...and I havent looked yet...In the last 10 years, has there been anyone picked who played in the 70s or early 80s?
    I ask because I feel that those that played back then are less likely to get in now - looks like its they look at the "newly" qualified players like the class above

BANNED

Country

Dino Ciccarelli had to wait an extra 4 years because of his off-ice behaviour. Some treated him like Pete Rose, which was nonsense.

There will have to be some olders come along, as nobody is going to hit the benchmarks of 1,000 Points or 500 goals. Neely and Gillies are not even close.
    Last edited by centrehice; 06-24-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

You're right, of course. There is no rule that says only 1 dman can get in. They put two in last year (Chelios, Neidermayer) that were both first time eligible, and considered locks (like Modano & Hasek were this time).

This is the part of the process I don't understand. I think most people would agree that Forsberg & Blake are HOF worthy, but there are players with a lot of overlap in their careers (played at the same time) at the same positions, have been eligible longer, and still aren't in (I'm talking about Lindros & Housley).

Even if you want to make the argument against Lindros or Housley, that's fine. Why didn't Blake go in last year? They only inducted three, so there was room for one more.

To answer the other question: Yes. Mark Howe got in in 2011. By the early 90s he was pretty much done... he's in because of his play in the 70s & 80s.

I like that Blake got in but also agree Housley deserves in....but there is nothing that says only 1 defenseman can get in in any given year....is there? if not, then there is nothing saying Blake took his spot....

I have one question to throw out there...and I havent looked yet...In the last 10 years, has there been anyone picked who played in the 70s or early 80s?
    I ask because I feel that those that played back then are less likely to get in now - looks like its they look at the "newly" qualified players like the class above

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Richly deserved honour for those guys. The Burns enshrinement makes me happy.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

BANNED

Country

Mark Howe and Brad McCrimmon lead the NHL in Plus/Minus for about 5 straight years as defensive partners. There has not been a better defensive defenseman since Mark Howe retired. Ray Bourque was not as good defensively as Mark Howe, and neither was Denis Potvin.