Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Question The UN to bail out Detroit water customers that can’t pay their bill?

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/06/...ay-their-bill/

It’s a basic human right: water. But could the United Nations soon help the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department provide the service to struggling customers?

Water department spokeswoman Curtrise Garner says it’s a possibility — but for now, the water bills must be paid.

“We do have programs that do help those that are just totally in need; can’t afford it — but we also know that there are also people who can’t afford it would can not pay and we know this because, once we shut water off, the next day they are in paying the bill in full. So we do know that that has become a habit as well,” said Garner.

“At the DWAS Department — it’s not our goal to shut off water. We want people’s water on, just like they do; but you do have to pay for your water…That’s the bottom line.”

Garner said the reality is that nearly half of Detroit Water and Sewerage customers can’t pay their bills; and that has led activists to lobby the UN to step up and take action.

“If they do contact us we are willing to speak with them,” she said, adding “We owe it to the customers that are paying to collect from those that aren’t. Somebody has to pay for the water.”

And while Garner says water is “a God-given right,” she says there is a cost to move water from the water resource to the customer and that the infrastructure costs money.

According to the Free Press, the average Detroit water bill is now $65 a month — much higher than the nation’s average rate of about $40.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yup, I heard about this earlier....

Meanwhile the GOP is pressuring Obama to going into yet another unwinnable conflict in the Middle East, while our very own citizens suffer and cities like the Detroit continue to deteriorate.

Ugh, why oh why can't we get our priorities straight.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

Meanwhile the GOP is pressuring Obama to going into yet another unwinnable conflict in the Middle East, while our very own citizens suffer and cities like the Detroit continue to deteriorate.

and at home we are doing what to fix this?

gay marriage rights, legalizing weed, raising minimum wage, telling an NFL team their name is racist, allowing a terrorist the right to a trail, and supporting illegal immigration? who is doing all this, the GOP?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

we should be able to work on all of what shrew listed all at the same time. I'm not sure of everyone's situations and why they can't afford to pay their water bill but I'd rather see money spent here in the states rather than in foreign wars. Some politicians have this great desire to fight terrorism and spend great amounts of money on defense and almost spit on people and things here in the U.S. that need assistance or major upgrading.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

we should be able to work on all of what shrew listed all at the same time.

I agree.

pretty much every current polititian should be voted out, and we can start over again, with 1 year terms for everyone.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I agree.

pretty much every current polititian should be voted out, and we can start over again, with 1 year terms for everyone.

Triple

CHURCH!!
    CHURCH!!
    CHURCH!!
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/07/...lly-motivated/

Veronica Joice with the NAACP Legal Defense Fund says, “That (the shutoffs are) being done in a discriminatory fashion; and they should at least take a look at whether there’s a better way to do this that doesn’t affect the most vulnerable citizens — the majority of whom are African American here in Detroit.”

Attorney Alice Jennings, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Detroit residents, said it’s a known fact that there are corporations that owe hundreds of thousands of dollars to the city of Detroit Water and Sewerage Department.

“These companies are basically Caucasian companies,” Jennings said. “The folks who are being cut off are almost one hundred percent African American.”

Asked by WWJ’s Charlie Langton directly if this is a “racial issue,” Jennings replied: “It sure is! You bet it is.”

BANNED

Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (225)
    Country
    See groundsupportse's Items on eBay

Yup, I heard about this earlier....

Ugh, why oh why can't we get our priorities straight.

Yep, GOP is pressuring Obama to do something? When in the last 6 years has Obama done something the GOP wanted?

BANNED

Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (225)
    Country
    See groundsupportse's Items on eBay

And the Race Card has been played. It's the White Peoples Fault!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I fail to see this as a racial issue. It's pretty much a business/financial issue. I suppose there could be instances of racism as I don't know the delinquent accounts personally, but I'd bet that you would find all races of people who are having their water turned off if they aren't paying their water bill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast