Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Custom Patches: RETRO MASKS Patch Cards

Hello fellow collectors,

Today I'm pleased to present you with a custom set unlike any other set I've made to date. It's a custom set featuring actual patch pieces from various NHL logos. They're not game-used, but they add something truly unique to this set and they've got some eye-appeal as well, eh?

The set consists of 12 cards feauturing the greatest and most iconic masks from the 1990's. Roy, Brodeur, Vanbiesbrouck, Potvin... they're all here. Without further ado, let's dig into the set, shall we?

Complete checklist:

01/12: Curtis Joseph (STL)
    02/12: John Vanbiesbrouck (FLO)
    03/12: Felix Potvin (TOR)
    04/12: Ed Belfour (CHI)
    05/12: Grant Fuhr (BUF)
    06/12: Mike Richter (NYR)
    07/12: Martin Brodeur (NJD)
    08/12: Kelly Hrudey (LAK)
    09/12: Damian Rhodes (OTT)
    10/12: Patrick Roy (MTL)
    11/12: Tom Barrasso (PIT)
    12/12: Ron Hextall (PHI)

Each card features interesting information about the mask on the back, such as this one of Curtis Joseph (sorry about the glare):

Onto the 12 cards. First up is Cujo:

Crisp mask, crisp patch. I love this mask that Cujo wore for the Blues, truly a top notch paint job.

Look out, that one might bite! John "Beezer" Vanbiesbrouck and a killer (no pun intended) patch. As always the quality of my customs is a high priority of mine. Therefore I've perfected my multi-layer technique to look something like this:

It requires lots of hours of work and some serious precision (and a bunch of cards thrown out along the way due to my dissatisfaction, oh well) but I've enjoyed every step of the way. It's been a lot of fun to create this set. Next up is Felix Potvin (go Leafs, go).

And now onto Mr. "Eagle" Belfour.

One of the most iconic masks of all time. Wouldn't you agree, gentlemen?

5-time Stanley Cup winning Grant Fuhr:

Underrated mask in my opinion. Now onto Mike Richter:

The Statue of Liberty and everything! Nice patch. This one is from an alternate Rangers patch (the Statue of Liberty) which I found more appropriate than their regular logo.

Onto Marty Brodeur. Even if he winds up playing somewhere other than New Jersey next season, he'll be remembered by most for his unbelievable contributions with the Devils. This guy has broken more than his share of goaltending records. And he's still going strong. Respect.

Kings goalie Kelly Hrudey is up next. Currently a broadcaster with HNIC, Hrudey was quite a decent goalie during his tenure in the NHL. His mask certainly was top notch.

Damian Rhodes is next. This mask is one of my favourites from the 1990's and was secured a spot in this set. Senators patch here, with the "O" from "OTTAWA". Cool!

Your Jack Adams Trophy winner of 2014: Patrick Roy. And he wasn't quite shabby as a goaltender, either.

For the Pittsburgh Penguins, Tom Barrasso.

Ron Hextall of the Flyers completes the 12-card set of memorable 1990's masks.

The set in its entirety:

I hope you enjoyed the show, guys. Please feel free to leave a comment regarding your thoughts on this set. Player suggestions and set ideas for future projects are also much appreciated.

Best regards,

-Ethan
    Last edited by TheBoxBreaker; 06-29-2014 at 09:16 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pidge27's Items on eBay

You've out done yourself Ethan!!!! Great job on the set! I like the Beezer and Richter the best myself! The Potvin card is awesome too! Good work!
    Hidden Content

Looking for 01-02, 02-03 BTP memorabilia

SCF Rewards
    Country

You've out done yourself Ethan!!!! Great job on the set! I like the Beezer and Richter the best myself! The Potvin card is awesome too! Good work!

Thank you so much, Paul! The ones you've mentioned are some of my favourites, too. Both Beezer's and Richter's masks are genuine classics of the 1990's and some of the most recognizable masks in modern hockey.

I appreciate the comment, thanks a bunch. Go Leafs, go!

-Ethan

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Ethan, those look fantastic! Really, really nice work there! That Beezer in particular, the patch you used, outstanding!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Definitely your best work so far, the cards rival anything from the professionals. They'd look right at home in a BTP set. I am in awe :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ethan, those look fantastic! Really, really nice work there! That Beezer in particular, the patch you used, outstanding!

Thank you so much, my friend! I truly appreciate the kind words.

Definitely your best work so far, the cards rival anything from the professionals. They'd look right at home in a BTP set. I am in awe :)

Thanks, Ed! It was my first patch project so I was unsure about how people would react, but I'm very glad that you see it as being a nice set. If ITG were to release a set like this in BTP (or any other release for that matter) I'd be ecstatic and collect the set in a heartbeat!

More to come. Summer vacation is present so I have lots of time to work on some goodies.

Best regards,

-Ethan

SCF Rewards
    Country

WOW THOSE ARE AWESOME!

Id love one of Luo, or two maybe, if you were taking orders =)

My favorite has to be the Potvin .... I just remember that mask growing up as a kid
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Outstanding as usual. The workmanship and care taken - unmatched.

You need to try 20's or 100's next - loool.

SCF Rewards
    Country

WOW THOSE ARE AWESOME!

Id love one of Luo, or two maybe, if you were taking orders =)

My favorite has to be the Potvin .... I just remember that mask growing up as a kid

Thank you! PM incoming, my friend.

Outstanding as usual. The workmanship and care taken - unmatched.

You need to try 20's or 100's next - loool.

Thanks a lot, Tim. I appreciate the kind words. If I were to do a 20's set, it would only feature Clint Benedict's leather mask, eh? I have more stuff in the pipeline (but not 10's or 20's stuff, spoilers haha) so stay tuned over the coming months.

-Ethan

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Thank you! PM incoming, my friend.

Thanks a lot, Tim. I appreciate the kind words. If I were to do a 20's set, it would only feature Clint Benedict's leather mask, eh? I have more stuff in the pipeline (but not 10's or 20's stuff, spoilers haha) so stay tuned over the coming months.

-Ethan

$20.00 Dollar US Bank Notes, or $100's. Not a Hockey Card set number, but the actual dollars themselves. You are that good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast