Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

My First Stanley Cup Final Game-Worn Jersey of a 400+ Winning Goalie No Less!

Heyeveryone, as you all know by now, I dream of one day starting a museumdedicated to the history of NHL goaltending with one piece of every goaltenderto ever make the NHL. While I have had a lot of lesser known goalies join themuseum project, the numbers of the greats have been fairly short in mycollection. Until today.

Again,you know my routine by now, I give a history of the player and theiraccomplishments before moving onto the piece of history itself. So, let'sbegin!

ChrisOsgood was born in Peace River, Alberta on November 26, 1972 and excelled inthe WHL. Drafted 54th overall by the Detroit Red Wings in 1991, Osgood saw hisfirst NHL action in the 1993-94 season going from nothing to a 41 gamegoaltender. Within two seasons, he quickly worked his way up to becoming theundisputed starter of the team. Osgood won his first award, the WilliamJennings Trophy in 1995-96, and secured his first ever Stanley Cup in 1997 asnumber two to Mike Vernon. He then won his next Stanley Cup the followingseason in 1998, as the team's starter. In 2001-02, he was acquired by the NewYork Islanders, and in 2002-03, the St. Louis Blues utilized his services. Forthe 2005-06 season, Osgood returned to the Detroit Red Wings and led them toone more Stanley Cup in 2008. He also led the team to a seven game battle inthe 2009 Stanley Cup Final against the Penguins that resulted in the Penstaking home the Cup. Osgood played until the 2010-11 season before retiring fromhockey. In 744 games, Osgood recorded a 401-216-66-29 record with 50 shutouts,a 2.49GAA, a 0.905% save average. On top of that, he also recorded a goal andnineteen assists in his regular season career. In the playoffs, he appeared in129 games, recording a 74-49 record with 15 shutouts, a 2.09 GAA, and a 0.916%save average.

Asit stands right now, Chris Osgood is the league's tenth all-time winningestgoalie and one of the only ten goalies to ever have over 400 career wins. Ofthe ten, he is one of only nine of those to win the Stanley Cup, and also ofthe top ten, he is also one of only six to have won three or more Stanley Cupsin his career.

Now,onto the piece, this is a 2008-09 Stanley Cup Final Game Worn home jersey usedby Osgood in the 2009 Finals against Pittsburgh, used in games 1, 2, 5, and 7. May30, 2009 was the first game in which he wore this sweater, recording a 3-1, 31save victory. The next game was May 31, 2009 in a mirror image affair, wherethe game was once again a 3-1 victory, and Osgood once again made 31 saves. June6, 2009 was the next game with this sweater and it saw the Red Wings win 5-0 togo up three games to two in the series. The final game in which this sweatersaw action was on June 12, 2009, game seven of the Cup Final. In that game,Osgood and the Wings were defeated 2-1 and Pittsburgh lifted the Stanley Cup.

Thejersey features amazing wear, indicative of a highly competitive Cup Final.There are eight team repairs on the jersey, an unrepaired hole, and severalblack puck marks. An immaculate piece of history used by one of the NHL'sall-time greats!

Front:

StanleyCup Final crest with puck mark next to it:

Frontright sleeve with photomatched puck mark and repair:

Frontright body with several team repairs:

Frontrepair and puck marks:

Frontleft sleeve with team repair:

Teamstamp:

Fightstrap message:

Rear:

Rearright puck mark:

Rearright sleeve with team repair:

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Most of the black marks you see on any goaltender Jersey are Black TAPE from opposing player's sticks, jabbing into the jersey at loose pucks, or their own D-Men doing the same to trap pucks or get the puck cleared.

Pucks don't leave a 1/10th as many marks as Black Tape. Nine of every 10 black marks you see are made by tape.

If pucks made as many marks as people would like to think they do, then they would disintegrate within less than one period. They just don't fall apart that easy, and they don't leave marks on soft surfaces like jerseys. Boards and Glass are very hard, and puck's often leave marks there, but not a soft jersey.
    Last edited by centrehice; 06-30-2014 at 05:16 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See redwingsfan11's Items on eBay

An absolute beauty, congratulations on adding another quality piece for your future museum!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See goalie4501's Items on eBay

Most of the black marks you see on any goaltender Jersey are Black TAPE from opposing player's sticks, jabbing into the jersey at loose pucks, or their own D-Men doing the same to trap pucks or get the puck cleared.

Pucks don't leave a 1/10th as many marks as Black Tape. Nine of every 10 black marks you see are made by tape.

If pucks made as many marks as people would like to think they do, then they would disintegrate within less than one period. They just don't fall apart that easy, and they don't leave marks on soft surfaces like jerseys. Boards and Glass are very hard, and puck's often leave marks there, but not a soft jersey.

I have played goalie for 20 years and most black marks on goalie jerseys are in fact puck marks. I have some jerseys littered with black puck marks. If they aren't pucks, they must be beating me with sticks. It's pucks and it doesn't take much to mark them when shots are coming as fast as they do... Awesome addition Bruce!!!
    Hidden Content
    Irbe3201’s PC:
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pidge27's Items on eBay

Great looking jersey! Wasn't a fan of Osgood or of course the Wings but you can't argue with 3 Cups and 400 wins! Should make the Hall! Congrats on another stellar pickup!
    Hidden Content

Looking for 01-02, 02-03 BTP memorabilia

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (48)
    Country
    Twitter: @HeroesofCrease See FanaticofTKD's Items on eBay Instagram:

Thanks for the comments everyone, as always, they are much appreciated!

I have played goalie for 20 years and most black marks on goalie jerseys are in fact puck marks. I have some jerseys littered with black puck marks. If they aren't pucks, they must be beating me with sticks. It's pucks and it doesn't take much to mark them when shots are coming as fast as they do... Awesome addition Bruce!!!

I'll have to agree with Justin here. Pucks don't disintegrate in game, but their edges are rough, so when a 100mph slapper connects with a goalie standing tall, you bet a mark will be left behind. Even if you lightly rub a puck on a white cloth, you will get puck marks on it. Stick marks tend to be more elongated and in the shape of a blade, the third picture in this would quite possibly be a stick mark. Puck marks are quite different. Look at any set of goalie pads, gloves, blockers, and tell me they aren't puck marks.