Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Advice for a beginner

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Advice for a beginner

Hi, I am new to collecting cards. I was wondering, could anyone tell me some good professional athletes and actors that they've had success with ttm autographs? It would mean a lot. Also, could you give me any tips on how to build up a nice collection? Also, what are some good websites to buy cheap cards? Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country

justcommons.com sells cheap cards
    some guys i have gotten more than once
    Pat Neshek
    Bobby Doerr
    Dave Fleming

Good Luck

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

If you are doing TTMs, look at the TTM manager and look at recent successes, it gives you a fair idea of who is signing and who is not.

for IPs, I always tell people to kill them with kindness. A lot of new people getting autographs today are rude or feel like they are entitled to the auto when they are not. Players don't have to sign, but it's nice when they do. So in return, be nice to them. If they say no, be even nicer. Nobody ever gets mad with a please and thank you.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

What part of the country do you live in and what sports will you be graphing?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country

comc is good for cards. try to mix up who you send to. send to some longshots and the sure things.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dscards33's Items on eBay

Justcommons is the place to go for base cards. Do your research when you're going to be graphing in person so you know a bit about the stadium and the players. TTM, make sure to include a SASE, and check the TTM Manager first.

If you want to get into memorabilia, don't go cheap. If you're going to get a baseball signed, make sure it's an Rawlings Official Major League Baseball and you get it done in blue pen. Signed photos (8x10s and the like) are just a couple dollars to print and make great displays when autographed.

When it comes to higher end cards, you get what you pay for. However, you can buy a certified autographed card of most any non-major-superstar for $5-$20 if you keep your eyes open for a deal.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm usually polite to players when I ask, but firm when they say no. Why not?

My least favorite thing is when a player runs by a group of people and are like "Sorry guys, more work to do before the game" as the reason why they won't stop. Then, invariably, they just go straight to the dugout and sit on their butts until the game starts. Mark Teixiera told us that once, and then immediately got in his car and left.

But then the parents of kids and sometimes other graphers are like "see that? he's working hard. he just couldn't sign for us." Ummm no, he didn't sign because he's a jerk in most cases.

I'm all for being respectful, but I don't believe in reinforcing these guys as divas that don't have to sign. By accepting their snubs and their no's, we are in fact encouraging them to do more. I firmly believe in using social pressure and playing on their humanity to get graphs.

I literally had to get into an argument with Mat Latos one time because I caught him in a lie. And he yelled at me, cursed at me, and insulted me. But finally, he signed the darn autograph. That is why I don't believe in being too nice.

Latos said in the morning that he would sign at the field. I asked him where and when. He said on the top step of the dugout right after the national anthem.

I go to the game, figuring he's lying and graph elsewhere. When the anthem starts, I see him standing on the top step of the dugout. I was surprised. I ran over when the anthem was over and said, "Mr. Latos you said that you would sign for me earlier in this spot."

Latos said: "I didn't promise you crap (substituting crap for curse word)"

Me: Well, you said you would sign here.

Latos said: "I didn't promise you crap (again, curse)."

Me: "Well, you didn't promise, but you said you might sign, so can you just sign the (bleeping) autograph?"

Latos said to the usher: "Hey buddy, hand me this kid's photo so I can help him sell on ebay real quick."

The usher handed him the photo and he signed it. Actually gave me a good signature. I thanked him and I don't think he answered.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I'm usually polite to players when I ask, but firm when they say no. Why not?

My least favorite thing is when a player runs by a group of people and are like "Sorry guys, more work to do before the game" as the reason why they won't stop. Then, invariably, they just go straight to the dugout and sit on their butts until the game starts. Mark Teixiera told us that once, and then immediately got in his car and left.

But then the parents of kids and sometimes other graphers are like "see that? he's working hard. he just couldn't sign for us." Ummm no, he didn't sign because he's a jerk in most cases.

I'm all for being respectful, but I don't believe in reinforcing these guys as divas that don't have to sign. By accepting their snubs and their no's, we are in fact encouraging them to do more. I firmly believe in using social pressure and playing on their humanity to get graphs.

I literally had to get into an argument with Mat Latos one time because I caught him in a lie. And he yelled at me, cursed at me, and insulted me. But finally, he signed the darn autograph. That is why I don't believe in being too nice.

Latos said in the morning that he would sign at the field. I asked him where and when. He said on the top step of the dugout right after the national anthem.

I go to the game, figuring he's lying and graph elsewhere. When the anthem starts, I see him standing on the top step of the dugout. I was surprised. I ran over when the anthem was over and said, "Mr. Latos you said that you would sign for me earlier in this spot."

Latos said: "I didn't promise you crap (substituting crap for curse word)"

Me: Well, you said you would sign here.

Latos said: "I didn't promise you crap (again, curse)."

Me: "Well, you didn't promise, but you said you might sign, so can you just sign the (bleeping) autograph?"

Latos said to the usher: "Hey buddy, hand me this kid's photo so I can help him sell on ebay real quick."

The usher handed him the photo and he signed it. Actually gave me a good signature. I thanked him and I don't think he answered.

Interesting story. While I'm not going to the route that you did, I'm not mad at all that you did what you had to do to score a graph.