Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ILL Tax's

SCF Rewards
    Country

Illinois has massive unfunded pension liabilities, so until they decide to reduce benefits (probably won't happen), then yes, taxes will continue to rise.

ILL is the high's in the country??

SCF Rewards
    Country

Illinois has massive unfunded pension liabilities, so until they decide to reduce benefits (probably won't happen), then yes, taxes will continue to rise.

teacher's want more money for 7 or maybe 8 month's they work. if anybody live's ill in cook county then you now what i'am talking about??

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

How many quality teachers would we have if they were only paid for 7 or 8 months????

How many teachers in general would we have????

SCF Rewards
    Country

How many quality teachers would we have if they were only paid for 7 or 8 months????

How many teachers in general would we have????

There over paid, they want this,they want that nothing for the kids or for the schools????

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco Giants
    See sanfran22's Items on eBay

There over paid, they want this,they want that nothing for the kids or for the schools????

I don't know if I'd say they are all overpaid. I think they do have some sweetheart retirements funded by the taxpayers. Plus they can double dip alot of times. I don't really care what they make while working within reason, but the retirement can be an issue. I do agree that I'm tired of hearing we can't live on what we make. Kindergarten teachers up where I work are banking 70k+ with full benefits and all the time off. I have a problem when they complain about that....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Teachers around here start at 35000 and go up just slightly each year. Then they get let go before they make tenure.

Our administrators make between 70 and 100k.

It's not their faults that the system only requires them to work part of the year. What about people who are seasonal, like a cement worker, who get paid good money then go on unemployment for the winter?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Teachers are underpaid for sure, everywhere.

The problemis that too many people think the solution to underpaid teachers is to pay them more. But underpaid is the symptom, not the problem. The problem is that tthey're overworked. Overworked = underpaid. If we pay them more, they're still overworked. So pay them more? You're still overworking them.

My province has been going through a bitter teacher strike since June. Seems weird that a teacher strike could be bitter through July and August, but here we are. The teachers say they're overworked and underpaid, and I agree. They want more individual pay and I disagree with that, for the reason above. We don't need to pay teachers more, we need more teachers and schools.

And anyone who thinks they can't be overworked because they only work 8 months a year hasn't a clue. First off, they work 10 a year, and secondly, you wouldn't take that job for your life, summers off or not.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I don't live in Ill, so they don't affect me. I do however live in the USA and I already pay about 1/5th of my income into the social welfare system, so I am fine with no more increases.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Teachers around here start at 35000 and go up just slightly each year. Then they get let go before they make tenure.

Our administrators make between 70 and 100k.

It's not their faults that the system only requires them to work part of the year. What about people who are seasonal, like a cement worker, who get paid good money then go on unemployment for the winter?

This is a common misconception. I have a 200 day contract which means I work 10 months out of the year. I have a 10 month contract. In June and July when I am not working I am also not earning a paycheck. Thankfully my employer has a way or spreading my salary over 12 months so I still get a paycheck in June and July, but it is money that I earned between August and May and I get smaller paychecks during the months that I work so that I can still get a paycheck during the summer months.

Also, most administrators have a 240 day (48 weeks) contract which means they don't get summers off. Their only paid vacation is Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving. Unless they have personal days saved up they will be in their offices throughout the summer.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I don't know if I'd say they are all overpaid. I think they do have some sweetheart retirements funded by the taxpayers. Plus they can double dip alot of times. I don't really care what they make while working within reason, but the retirement can be an issue. I do agree that I'm tired of hearing we can't live on what we make. Kindergarten teachers up where I work are banking 70k+ with full benefits and all the time off. I have a problem when they complain about that....

I think this varies state by state, so it may be different in your area, but in my job I pay 50% of my retirement and my employer matches whatever I put in up to a certain amount. In my experience that is pretty typical of most employer provided 401K plans.

As a teacher I have an issue with the "double-dip". It makes it difficult for new teachers to get jobs and is a burden on the system. Our state recently passed legislation restricting the number of days that a retired teacher can work as a sub per school year and requiring that they be retired for a certain period of time before they can join the sub list (6 months I think).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast