Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

There is no starting point in arbitration. That's the damning thing about the process. In theory I get what you're saying.... offer 5.25 and then agree on 6.75 (for example) but that's *IF* PK and the Habs reach a deal. The Arbitration is basically PK saying why he's worth 8.5, and the team sitting on another side of the table explaining why he's only worth 5.25. After the arbitrator listens to both arguments, he picks a winner and that's the contract that's handed out. There is no middle ground at that point.

Which is why arbitration is bad news. GM & Coach basically have to rip the player, in front of him and his agent, to force him to sign a contract he thinks is too low.

That's not how it works in the NHL. The salary is settled by the arbitrator and has to be between both bounds.
    Last edited by Feno; 07-31-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    Always looking for The CUP rcs. 3 colors+ when possible.

Traders: Hidden Content
    PC: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Karlsson signed that contract as a follow up to his ELC, too. He's in the same contract year as P.K., but he's made $13M over the last two years (still RFA years) compared to P.K.'s $5.75M. The numbers and the way it's been handled are quite different. Ottawa acknowledge Karlsson and paid him in line with where he is. Montreal pushed P.K. to a bridge-contract and he out-performed it. Now, the Habs are making it look like they want to continue the bridge. It's the same trap Colorado got themselves into with Ryan O'Reilly. If you're willing to play chicken, you have to willing to deal with the consequences...

amen

SCF Rewards
    Country

We know this much - they're talking and both sides are eager to get it done. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=458416

PK just says all the right things in this interview.

I predict that by the time I go to bed tonight the deal is done.

Richard, it's after 10 and there still isn't an announcement.
    What time are you staying up until? lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

This is the latest article I have seen. Hopefully all will be announced in the morning.
    http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/547004

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Haha well it's still only 9pm here. Hope springs eternal. LOL
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I can't believe they actually had the hearing.

They can still negotiate on a deal until the arbitrator hands down her ruling. That announcement can come at any time in the next 48 hours.

So one way or another, we'll know by Sunday.

I'm not happy with this.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not happy with them going to the hearing as well.
    Since the team has to put him down to get their award amount, this can't be good for future relations.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think that there's a way to establish the lower value without disrespecting (overtly) the player.

If I were handed the unenviable task of stating that Subban is *only* a $5.25M player, this would be my case:

* The team has a salary structure that is built around Carey Price. He is the best goalie in the world. Even though his contract was signed in 2012 and the market has shifted significantly since then, it is our belief that no player on the team should make more than his AAV of $6.5M.

* Andrei Markov is and will remain the team's highest-paid defenceman as long as he is with the team. His contributions over the years have earned him his place. He plays in all situations, is the best all-around player we have at this time and can comfortably play upwards of 30 minutes per night.

* For all the things that PK does so well, there are things which hinder us from being willing to designate him our true #1 defenceman at this time. He does not play on the penalty kill, though this may change in the future as our needs are assessed on an ongoing basis. There are still the occasional tendencies to wander from the established defensive system of our coaching staff.

* We do not disagree that in a long-term contract situation, the player merits more than what we are offering on a one-year contract. We believe that the player has the potential to become an elite-calibre blueliner in the NHL for years to come, and we hope that he will do so in Montreal. We are open to continue negotiating with him outside this hearing, and will be making a new deal with him the top priority once we are eligible to start such discussions. But as a restricted free agent, we are exercising our ability as an organization to keep the contract level at a lower rate for the purpose of this one-year deal.

* There are other organizational needs to be assessed in the coming years, and we do not wish to enter into a long-term arrangement without being fully aware of the impact of these other factors, which include: hockey related revenue and the salary cap, other players in the organization, the Canadian dollar and its impact on HRR, and other economic factors.

-----

That would be my case were I Marc Bergevin today. Built on respect with an eye towards the future. Doesn't burn bridges, doesn't denigrate the player.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Many good points Richard and not at all disrespectful.

Looks like there will be no long-term contract according to Sportsnet:
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...aring-no-deal/

I wonder how much longer Subban will remain in Montreal.
    I am thinking he might end up getting traded.
    That is twice now he has had difficulties with contract negotiations with the team.
    Last edited by JVW; 08-01-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country

If it got the point where he had to be traded, they better expect some effigies to be burned outside the Bell Centre.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast