Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPG Storefront Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New England Patriots Boston Bruins Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @patriotsguy See patriots_football_guy's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale
    Member is PayPal Verified

2014 Packs to the Nationals Contest!

Contest idea, and write-up by Samuwry7

The National is going to be an incredible event, but Packs to the People and Sportscard Forum want to make it even better.

Packs to the People is an Upper Deck-sponsored web series that follows Andrew Long (Samuwry7 on SCF) as he surprises unsuspecting strangers with packs of Upper Deck sports cards, showing them how the experience of trading cards has changed, and hopefully getting a few new people hooked on the hobby.

More importantly, Packs to the People is a fun hobby act and adventure of generosity. This is something that everyone can get involved in to expand the base of collectors, eliminate ridiculous stigma around card collecting, and perhaps even increase demand to a level where single values begin to rise.

But most importantly, by taking this experience to others at the National Card Show in Cleveland, you have the opportunity to come away with a handsome prize of your own.

There are TWO ways to win.

FIRST-- To enter for the grand prize of a box of 2013 UD Fleer Retro Football:

1) Go to the National Card Show in Cleveland!

2) Buy a pack of any Upper Deck product.

3) Grab your cell or camera and video yourself (or a friend) approaching a stranger and asking them if they’d like to break your pack of Upper Deck cards. Explain that they can keep whatever they pull.

4) Make sure they say “Packs to the People and Sports Card Forum!” at the end of your video.

5) Post your video in the contest thread here at Sports Card Forum

TO MAKE YOUR VIDEO AWESOME:
    Choose interesting people and locations! Approach your breakers with passion. Find out a little about them. Be funny. Be creative! Make sure you show cards, especially hits to the camera! If they hit something, let them know. It’s ok to explode in screams at great cards. And make sure you sign off with step 4 above!

Check out one of our videos for examples:

Packs to the People host Andrew Long will narrow the entries to five finalists, and Sports Card Forum members will vote on who rocked the best Packs to the People video.

Oh, what’s that? You want another way to win awesome prizes? Well, OK.

SECOND-- Packs to the … NATIONAL BOUNTIES! If you can film a PTTP video with one of these great figures in the sports card industry, we’re offering you a special mystery prize. The FIRST PERSON to post a PTTP video with each bounty will win a corresponding SPECIAL MYSTERY PRIZE!

The PTTP National Card Show Bounties Are:

*Adam Martin-- Dave and Adams

*Sean Bennett-- Steel City Collectibles

*Mike Berkus-- Director of the National

*Chris Carlin-- Marketing Manager for Upper Deck Sports Cards

*Doniceage-- Longtime SCF moderator for SportsCardForum.com

*ANY professional athlete (Note that only one mystery prize will be awarded. Please state the name of the athlete in the video)

Packs to the People regularly gives away prizes on Twitter! Follow them at @Packs2daPeople

ALL CONTESTENTS PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:
    Packs to the People is a positive experience that in no way condones the use of scare tactics or harassment. People should always be approached in appropriate public areas. Private areas, such as bathrooms, should be avoided. Always show politeness and respect to all potential breakers in these PTTP contest endeavors. Some people are simply very uncomfortable being filmed. Negative entries of any kind will not be considered for prizes.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

OPG Storefront Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New England Patriots Boston Bruins Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @patriotsguy See patriots_football_guy's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale
    Member is PayPal Verified

SCF'ers,

It's time for the National Sports Card convention! That's fun in itself, but what could make it even more fun is making a Packs To The People video at the NSCC, win a box of cards and make some perfect strangers happy if they pull a huge card from your pack! Enjoy the Nationals, don't forget to hit each step in the contest, and don't forget the BOUNTIES!

Have fun!

Roger
    Last edited by patriotsguy; 07-30-2014 at 07:14 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I love the idea of Packs To The People, and I hate to be a wet sock. But don't you think that most people who go The National are already card collectors? Just asking. Anyway, do they have a program to do this in other places (maybe where people aren't already thinking about buying cards themselves already)? If not, you should probably have some type of contest where people do this to other people walking down the street, or in a mall, or maybe near a card store (but not as people are walking into the store!).

For about the past five or six years, I give away cards to kids for Halloween, instead of candy. The kids love it because its the only "different" thing they get all night. Everyone is giving them candy, but only one house is giving out cards. Of course, the parents love it too because that is one less house's-worth of candy the kids are eating. I make up team bags of commons from different sports and randomly insert small autos/jerseys. It helps that I only collect two teams, and pretty much don't care about anything else, so I give away quite a few "$5-$10" cards. With the team bags, I include a wax pack or two of something from that year (whatever I can get cheap).

I started this all a few years back when I got three of my nephews (ages 7-12) each a box of cards for Christmas. They opened them up and then asked "What do we do with them now?" They couldn't play a game with them, and they couldn't turn them on or stick them in a Gameboy; they honestly didn't know what to do with them. I was flabbergasted, horrified, amazed! But I guess that is the world we live in today. They don't have flashing lights and beeping noises, so card collecting is becoming old-fashioned.

But I am anti-social, so I am not a Twit(terer). I don't Facebook, or Snapchat, or any of that crap. I would rather keep from having the world know everything about me. I don't even own a smartphone. So you wont have to worry about me filming the kids as they walk up to my house at Halloween. I think I'll keep that between me and the police...

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I love the idea of Packs To The People, and I hate to be a wet sock. But don't you think that most people who go The National are already card collectors?

I will say this. There a ton of people who attend the Nationals who do not collect cards at the Nationals.
    A) people working the event
    B) parents taking their kids
    C) spouses who might not collect.

So there is a vast array of people at the Nationals that are not involved in the hobby.

D
    O
    N

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers New York Mets Philadelphia Flyers
    See tk100775's Items on eBay

i cant be there but i do hope that everyone that goes has a blast and cant wait to be there. I am currently on vacation in vermont with my family and am possibly in the process of moving back up here

SCF Rewards
    Country

im giving out 2012 national treasures football packs for halloween, its gonna be epic!!!! lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See randallscardsales's Items on eBay

Just a Theory but not sure how u get people into the hobby of sports cards by giving somthing away at the (National Sports Card Convention) Odds are if u wernt into sports cards why would u be there? lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

Randall, Sharky-- First of all, this is not to convert people at the show. It's to let them know what Packs to the People is and how it works, so they can go home and share it with the card-clueless and hopefully convert them.

Besides that, PTTP is an excellent act of packlanthropy. If you do love cards, how are you going to feel when someone just walks up and hands you a pack. Flippin awesome. What if they pull something huge? Even better. It feels awesome making people's day this way.

Finally, a secondary goal of this contest is also to encourage people to make hobby-related video content. I think content-wise, the card hobby could use more creativity in this area. Everyone's got a camera. Just a matter of gettin out there.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See teduncan12's Items on eBay

Great Idea and Great Idea to promote SCF

SCF Rewards
    Country

im giving out 2012 national treasures football packs for halloween, its gonna be epic!!!! lol

That's awesome. If I was a kid I'd be blown away. Also, you plan for Halloween very early.