Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Walt Weiss/Colorado Rockies autograph request...

I sent a baseball card to the Colorado Rockies manager, Mr. Walt Weiss. This was back in May around Memorial Day. I haven't received my card back yet. I know I was taking a chance with this particular person. However, being a collector, I'm really upset that a manager of a club won't even respond to a friendly request. I even included, as always, a nice handwritten letter. So then I contacted the Rockies and they told me that it normally takes about 6 weeks for a response. They assured me that they would look for my letter that I mailed, so we'll see how this turns out. My question is why don't managers respond to fan mail? After all, they are the face of the franchise, am I right? I'm very disappointed and heartbroken to say the least. Is there any way that I can reach the manager over the phone? There's got to be some contact number for him.
    Last edited by andr1201; 08-01-2014 at 05:32 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Managers do respond to fan mail...I got Fredi Gonzalez back today. Buck Showalter and Ron Washington religiously sign mail. So does Terry Collins. It takes time. Your request is BARELY 2 months old. I've had requests come back that are 3-4 years old.

I don't know how new you are to through the mail collecting, but you are ignoring some basic rules of thumb for collector etiquette- the first being that the player/manager/coach/umpire/owner are under no obligation to honor any request to anyone. Jobs and family come first and foremost, and if and when time permits perhaps they honor some requests. You will never reach a manager or player over the phone. If he doesn't have time to answer your letter, I'm guessing he probably doesn't have time to answer the phone to tell you why.

My advice to you would to just be patient, and pick some other guys to send to. Some respond faster than others. There are lots of guys listed that are stellar signers and would answer a request a lot faster than an active manager.

Keep trying, and good luck!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Bochy came back a season after I mailed it to him. Some, like Cox, never respond. It's sad, I know.

With how much he charges via Steiner, I'm happy to have gotten Joe Torre on a 2001 Topps card during the 2003 season.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you get heart-broken over not getting a return two months after you sent a request, you may be in the wrong hobby.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Francisco 49ers Golden State Warriors

I sent one to Walt too. Nothing yet only been a month.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See lizard-jd's Items on eBay

Managers do respond to fan mail...I got Fredi Gonzalez back today. Buck Showalter and Ron Washington religiously sign mail. So does Terry Collins. It takes time. Your request is BARELY 2 months old. I've had requests come back that are 3-4 years old.

I don't know how new you are to through the mail collecting, but you are ignoring some basic rules of thumb for collector etiquette- the first being that the player/manager/coach/umpire/owner are under no obligation to honor any request to anyone. Jobs and family come first and foremost, and if and when time permits perhaps they honor some requests. You will never reach a manager or player over the phone. If he doesn't have time to answer your letter, I'm guessing he probably doesn't have time to answer the phone to tell you why.

My advice to you would to just be patient, and pick some other guys to send to. Some respond faster than others. There are lots of guys listed that are stellar signers and would answer a request a lot faster than an active manager.

Keep trying, and good luck!

The other rule of thumb is to "never send anything to someone that you can not afford to lose and/or is highly valued by yourself."
    I have lost multi-signed items that I highly valued in my collection and thought that getting one more guy to sign it would make it even sweeter. I have even written the person prior to sending my item to get their approval for sending and having them write back to send it to them but my item was never returned - this has happened more than once....

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See dasbam84's Items on eBay

Not to be a downer but if it's someone you really want to get a TTM on then be prepared to wait. I sent to Dave Stewart when he was first named the GM of the DBacks; almost a year ago. I am still waiting for Dave and a few others as I understand his position in rebuilding the team. I'll give it to Christmas then will likely write it off.