Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Question about stuff from the 90s

This may be too broad a question for anyone to answer here, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I collected from the mid 80s until about 94. I started up again about 5 years ago. So, there is a large chunk of time that I am really ignorant about. I think we have all been in the position where someone at work, or whatever, says "Hey, you collect hockey cards? I have boxes of stuff from the 90s. They might be worth something!" Then you have to find a polite way to tell them they are most likely better off using it as kindling in their fireplace rather than wasting their time trying to sell it. Now, here is where my ignorance comes in to play. In that grey zone for me from about 94 until the end of the decade, what should people be on the lookout for?. I am of the understanding that there are some insert sets that are actually in high demand and can command some decent coin. I don't want to trust the prices in Beckett, I want to know what actual collectors are buying from that time period. Again, i realize this might be asking too broad a question, but if anyone has any insight, please, let me hear it!

SCF Rewards
    Country

While I'm certainly no expert, I'm fairly certain that any of the higher-value inserts came around at a time when people who were in the hobby knew that they were worth astronomical values (such as the Totally Certified Gold, rarer/lower numbered UD inserts). If anything, people would be aware they owned these and more likely be crushed by the massive decline in value many of these cards have experienced. I'd say the majority of people who say they have stuff from the 90's mean they have stuff from 94 and prior.

I know that wasn't really what you were asking, but I can't imagine there were many people from the mid-90's onward who were busting packs just because everyone else was doing it, especially because IIRC, pack prices started to rise around then.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See brusski's Items on eBay

Early 90's were really bad. Nothing special. Late 90's, 97-99 for instance, could have valuable parallels...it's tough to say without knowing what your colleague has. For instance, Zenith Dare to tear Gold...is money in the bank!

Usually, when someone says he has stuff form the 90's means Upper Deck, Pro Set, Score, etc...nothing good...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider
    Country

Her's an example from the 90's, a Roy gold/30 used to biook at 1000.00 and sold 3 of them, I think now it doesn't even book for 300.00, this is great time if you can find them, to pick up all those high end items.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Depending on your scale of "worth" (tens, hundreds, or thousands) these may not make him rich, but there were some key RCs during that time.
    1999 - 00: Vladislav Tretiak (UD Retro)
    1998 - 99: Hejduk, St. Louis
    1997 - 98: Luongo, Sedin, Lecavalier, Elias, Hossa
    1996 - 97: Thornton, Chara...and of course Zubrus

I'll also add that the late 90's saw the start of the parallel trend. So, there is a chance he could have some parallels and not even know it.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

Thanks for the help. I figure the odds of something useful in the collection is next to nil...and as mentioned, in my mind, I see boxes and boxes of Pro Set as well. Safest bet is just to tell him to sort through card by card himself, and only get excited if there's something with a serial number on it lol!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See frankrock's Items on eBay

Having been organizing the Toronto Card Show since 2006, I have encountered the question about early 90's cards too many times to count... having had to answer the question so many times, I've had plenty of reflection and I've resorted to saying this about it... what a wonderful time it was to collect!!!

I'm done with saying point blank that they aren't worth anything or that they aren't good. It was one of the best times in the history of the hobby! I'm not naďve that people are really asking about the value and what they might get for them. But when I've been asked the question so often that I've been able to reflect on it, it's unfair to let them down easily about the value of their cards without reminding them of the great times they had.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

Having been organizing the Toronto Card Show since 2006, I have encountered the question about early 90's cards too many times to count... having had to answer the question so many times, I've had plenty of reflection and I've resorted to saying this about it... what a wonderful time it was to collect!!!

I'm done with saying point blank that they aren't worth anything or that they aren't good. It was one of the best times in the history of the hobby! I'm not naďve that people are really asking about the value and what they might get for them. But when I've been asked the question so often that I've been able to reflect on it, it's unfair to let them down easily about the value of their cards without reminding them of the great times they had.

No question. I still have my compete sets from the early 90s and love flipping through them from time to time. I personally could care less about their (lack of) value. It's that zone from about 1994-1999 where I am really ignorant. I keep hearing, from time to time, about that one or two hidden gems that pop up. Like, some rare Jagr insert or parallel that is really in demand. I'm unsure of what sets/years to look out for.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Michigan Wolverines Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @kylemclaren7 See kydollarsign's Items on eBay Instagram:

I wouldn't say there's like ONE or A couple sets to look for. In the late 90s there's a lot of stuff from
    all sorts of products that can command high dollars. Focus maybe 96/97 on, but that's not exactly "narrowing" anything hahah

SCF Rewards
    Country

I collect 90s and I would say anything after 96/97 demands higher prices. Rare Pacific parallels could be big money. Anything low numbered from any company is good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast