Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: If you made a deal for a sale/trade/break and a better deal came along, would you:

Voters
52. This poll is closed
  • Honor the original deal.

46 88.46%
  • Make the second deal and feel bad about it?

2 3.85%
  • Make the second deal and feel OK about it because because it's just good business.

3 5.77%
  • Other.

1 1.92%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

What would you do?

This is purely hypothetical, but I was curious to get the sense of the hobby

You're working on a trade / sale / offer with someone for cards and reach an agreement with that person.Before you complete the deal a better offer comes along.

Do you:
    1) Honor the original deal?
    2) Make the second deal and feel bad about breaking the first?
    3) Make the second deal and feel OK about breaking the first because, hey, business is business?

The reason I ask is that I have had a few eBay deals gone bad recently. I won the auction only to get an email from the seller that they "lost the item" or "erroneously listed an item that had already been sold". I got a refund and both of those explanations are plausible, but I have a niggling suspicion that either the final price not was high enough for them or they sold the card to someone else while the auction was live.

A similar situation posted here recently got me thinking about how widespread this behavior might be. Absolutely not making any judgment or drawing conclusions about the other issue. Just that it's a story I've heard often.

Anyway, your thoughts.
    Last edited by Drewk86a; 08-11-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

You'd have to honour the original deal. Hey, even if you're out a few bucks, in the long run it won't cost you as much as welching on the deal, and getting blacklisted.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

The only serious answer would be to honor the original deal. That's the only thing that's fair and right. People who try to wiggle out of deals or who are outright dishonest in negating the deal need to examine how they live their lives, really.

However, until the time that the deal is agreed upon (e.g., item gets a bid on eBay or trade is confirmed on SCF, etc.), there is certainly pretty free rein on negotiating, entertaining other offers and/or backing out at any time before a solid deal is in place. I've had a deal come within 25 cents of agreement and I backed out because I felt the other party was trying to game me and squeeze every little bit out of the deal. I understand the urge to maximize return, but when it's that obvious it can feel a little slimy.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

My thoughts on this is that until the trade is posted in the trade manager you really don't have anything to honor. If the trade is posted and you cancel the trade then that's disrespectful.

Until the trade is posted all cards are available IMO. If we reach an agreement but its not posted yet and I get a better offer then I would take the better offer and probably would not think twice about it. I would flat out tell the other person I got a better and unless you can add a little more I will have to pass.

I understand both arguments and really there is no wrong or right answer IMO. The line is drawn when the trade is posted that's how I feel.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Michigan Wolverines Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @kylemclaren7 See kydollarsign's Items on eBay Instagram:

I'm the only one who answered take the better deal and feel okay. If the trade was in the trade manager or eBay item has been sold I would stick to that trade 10000% no questions asked.

But if I agree to the deal, and the person tells me to post it up, and in between a better deal comes along in my inbox, I'm taking it 100% of the time too. I don't know anyone's backstory here; but all my life I've grown up dirt poor. 20 bucks is a big deal to me. If someone offers me 20 extra bucks for the card, I'm thinking how much food I can buy with that, not how someone else wanted the card. I am not a bad person and I don't need to reevaluate my life. If you think otherwise perhaps you need a reality check before judging ppl. Not everyone is a selfish _ _ _ _, not everyone wants to screw everyone else. Some ppl just need as much money as possible to survive.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

My thoughts on this is that until the trade is posted in the trade manager you really don't have anything to honor. If the trade is posted and you cancel the trade then that's disrespectful.

Until the trade is posted all cards are available IMO. If we reach an agreement but its not posted yet and I get a better offer then I would take the better offer and probably would not think twice about it. I would flat out tell the other person I got a better and unless you can add a little more I will have to pass.

I understand both arguments and really there is no wrong or right answer IMO. The line is drawn when the trade is posted that's how I feel.

I'm the only one who answered take the better deal and feel okay. If the trade was in the trade manager or eBay item has been sold I would stick to that trade 10000% no questions asked.

But if I agree to the deal, and the person tells me to post it up, and in between a better deal comes along in my inbox, I'm taking it 100% of the time too. I don't know anyone's backstory here; but all my life I've grown up dirt poor. 20 bucks is a big deal to me. If someone offers me 20 extra bucks for the card, I'm thinking how much food I can buy with that, not how someone else wanted the card. I am not a bad person and I don't need to reevaluate my life. If you think otherwise perhaps you need a reality check before judging ppl. Not everyone is a selfish _ _ _ _, not everyone wants to screw everyone else. Some ppl just need as much money as possible to survive.

I really can't see the justification for any answer outside of choice 1.

Realistically, 'until the trade is posted' is a bs guideline, especially when we rely on the feedback system to tell us about other traders. There is a clear expectation of behavior once a trade is posted, so reneging will garner negative feedback which most traders avoid. As the saying goes, "the true test of man's character is what he does when no one is watching." If a person can dishonestly negotiate through PM with no feedback, how do we spot the scum?

If you're willing to tell a person to post a trade or it's been accepted and you're responsible for posting it, to accept a second, better offer in between posting and 'officially' accepting is a poor, pathetic behavior. Period. If that's 'acceptable' behavior, you should have a permanent 'MUST SEND FIRST' (or similar wording that wouldn't be appropriate) tag to warn other traders.

I'm sorry. If $20 from a card sale is 'survival' money, then, yes, you should consider a re-evaluation of your priorities. It's not judgement, it's a suggestion. Hockey cards should really not come before basic needs...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Michigan Wolverines Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @kylemclaren7 See kydollarsign's Items on eBay Instagram:

Did I say it's survival money? Did I say I put cardboard pics of my fav players above food? Perhaps you should reevaluate the need to learn how to read properly. I said that is how I think because of how I've grown up. That's how I view money. When you grow up without something you never can have enough of it in adulthood. Next time read what I said in full and then comment. If you cant follow basic English then you probably shouldn't be on a forum where you have to read and write to communicate. I will not put up with someone insulting me on a personal level saying I'm scum because of how my mind works due to my upbringing in extreme (for North American standards) poverty. I would hate to see what lessons you teach your children.
    Last edited by kylemclaren7; 08-11-2014 at 10:39 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

Did I say it's survival money? Did I say I put cardboard pics of my fav players above food? Perhaps you should reevaluate the need to learn how to read properly. I said that is how I think because of how I've grown up. That's how I view money. When you grow up without something you never can have enough of it in adulthood. Next time read what I said in full and then comment. If you cant follow basic English then you probably shouldn't be on a forum where you have to read and write to communicate. I will not put up with someone insulting me on a personal level saying I'm scum because of how my mind works due to my upbringing in extreme (for North American standards) poverty. I would hate to see what lessons you teach your children.

Wow, man, take a chill pill! When you stated "Some ppl just need as much money as possible to survive" you were absolutely putting the question in terms of survival, to an extent that was probably waaaaay beyond what the OP had in mind when he presented this question. Your aggressive defensiveness indicates to me that you know your view is going to be in the extreme minority on this one but for some reason you don't care. Just realize that if you renege on a deal with someone, whether or not it has been posted, that person will probably NEVER deal with you again.

I, too, grew up in various degrees of poverty (at one time during my childhood our family of five and one dog was living in our well-worn Volvo station wagon) and I also value money highly. However, there are many, many things more important than money; in this example, we are talking about integrity and it will be a sad day indeed when I sacrifice my integrity for a few extra dollars.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If its not confirmed by both members in the trade manager, the cards are still available to all parties. Pretty simple here, until both parties agree, and its in writing that actually counts for anything ..... the card is question is still up for grabs. Basically what I am saying .... a smile and a handshake over a deal means absolutely nothing now a days. You want something to stick, to have some actual weight behind it, on paper or recorded some other way.

Once the trade has been posted here, and the other party confirms the deal in the trade manager ..... the card is off the table. It doesnt matter if something better comes along. I usually look into peoples feedback if I have never traded with them before, no matter what the feedback number is .... and if there is a negative its usually because way back when the member was new, he agreed to a trade and backed out of it.

Im not really sure on the OPs question .... as I dont have the full details, so I chose "other".

- If both parties agree to the trade AND its posted in the trade manager AND its been confirmed by both parties in the manager ...... then something better comes along ..... I honor the original deal.

- If both parties agree to the trade AND its posted in the trade manager BUT one party has not yet confirmed this deal ..... then something better comes along .... I will cancel the previous deal and ask the 1st party if they would like to up their cash offer / trade as ive gotten a better deal / better cards for my collection. Sure, I can see some frustration coming from the other end, YES, we had a tentative deal in place .... but NO, if he does not want to up his offer in cards or cash I will not think twice when taking a better offer. Am I really going to take less money, or a card less suitable for my PC because the 1st party is going to get mad at me .... ill just say lol to that comment.

If a person does not want to deal with me after, because we made a TENTATIVE deal .... and it was not honored ... that really is fine, if someone wants to be childish and take this personally thats really on them. If ive effected someone so much that they really want to go out of their way to ignore me .... post negative comments about me ..... do whatever they want ..... all i gotta say is im sorry your so weak of a person that something so small and insignificant can throw you off in this way. ( <----- this comment of course is not attacking or labeled for anyone ). I couldnt care less if my actions offended someone on a trading site .... where I am following the rules of that site.

- Fred Bear
    "If you're willing to tell a person to post a trade or it's been accepted and you're responsible for posting it, to accept a second, better offer in between posting and 'officially' accepting is a poor, pathetic behavior. Period. If that's 'acceptable' behavior, you should have a permanent 'MUST SEND FIRST' (or similar wording that wouldn't be appropriate) tag to warn other traders."

Rules are placed on this site to be followed ( yes I know MODs, I break a few here and there but I cant help it ). Are we to have special MSF ( or equivalent ) tag beside our names because we dont agree with your principles or practices? Principles or practices that arnt even mandatory to be followed on this site. Should you have a certain tag beside your name that says, "Above the rules", or something like that, because you feel no matter what people have to follow the same code you do?

People will always do things different from you ...... people will always do something you do not agree with. Does that mean they are wrong in doing so .... not at all ...... from the sounds of it, lucky this isnt SCFred Bear, or people would be banned simply for not agreeing with your views.

It really sounds like you have the "everyone is entitled to my opinion" mentality in your post.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I just voted ..... and saw the results ..... and I think people are lying =) .... just my opinion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast