Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See frankie5s's Items on eBay

While I agree with you regarding the "sick to my stomach" comments, I still must say that UD is pretty much ripping hobbyists off with this release. Tell me how these packs are justifiable at $100? Most of them have a base card, Rc /499, random auto and random jersey. That's worth no more than $30 in most cases. UD is making an absolute MINT off this stuff, I guarantee it. Add to that the fact that they couldn't even have Crosby autos in one of their premium products. I'm not big on bashing but this product deserves all the negative feedback it's receiving

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

Thanks for everyone's harsh...but seemingly true thoughts. I had no idea what to expect. My first reaction was that it was "decent"...

After watching a few breaks on youtube...I now know what you all have been talking about...it being a pretty bad case. Yes few really good cards, but on the whole...terrible for what I paid.

And that is where we obviously differ...

I don't care. Sure it would have made my day to pull Gretzky instead of Anderson or Bure instead of Tavares...but they are still neat cards nonetheless!

What is sad, in my opinion, is that most of you immediately mentioned money. Or selling...
    Collecting cards is a HOBBY for me. If all of you are in it to make money and are "sick to your stomachs" when you don't get MacKinnon, Crosby, or Gretzky...then maybe you should re-consider your choice of "hobby".

I sell the cards I don't want. Like most people. But I don't get mad when I don't make a profit...or even get my money back...

+100% man. I wasn't sick to my stomach by your break, the comments on it made me sick to my stomach. The funny part about it is most of the people who commented are also the ones who complain about the hobby becoming more about a business then an actual hobby these days.

Show me someone who busts wax and makes money on it and I'll eat one of my socks. I'm so mad right now.......

SCF Rewards
    Country

+100% man. I wasn't sick to my stomach by your break, the comments on it made me sick to my stomach. The funny part about it is most of the people who commented are also the ones who complain about the hobby becoming more about a business then an actual hobby these days.

Show me someone who busts wax and makes money on it and I'll eat one of my socks. I'm so mad right now.......

Well I'm not looking to get into an argument about it but here's my take. I bust boxes and within the last 8 months have been big into GB's. If it were up to me I'd keep everything and trade for wants/keep the nice hits.

My wife/and wallet don't always allow for such extravagance, however. That's where ROI comes into play.

There are times I need to move cards to get cash to fill the void I've created in the bank account, or to get funds for a card I want, or to put back into more box breaks. If I bust a product like this (let alone a case) where there may be $15-20 worth of cards in a box I'll run out of my breaking funds pretty quickly. Therefore I'll choose to spend it where the "value" tends to be better.

In no way am I out to make a living at this. I've already spent thousands without the possibility of getting most of it back, but I do tend to trade cards of value for cards of equal value. The thought process goes: If something disastrous ever happens and I really NEED money more than cards, well the value part of the hobby will come into play (I have 4 kids).

That's where "value" comes into the hobby and I just don't see it here in this product. It's as if the company has no respect for the fact that people will drop $1500 and what that $ actually means to most people. I mean if the original poster all of a sudden "had" to move everything from the case due to emergency, he'd get back what? $400-500? Not everyone can just laugh off a $1000 loss or chalk it up to hobby good times.

If the original poster is happy with his case then that's all good! He did however (unless I'm mistaken) ask how others would feel about the break. I'd have been disappointed (but that would've been the case with a # of products this year, Titanium/SP Game used anyone?).

Just my 2 cents.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So true. If you love the hobby
    its not about turning a profit

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

Turning a profit is one thing, but not getting at least one card worth more than the box price is another. I'd be upset if that was my case. Then again, I learned my lesson with Ultimate a few years ago.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ouch. Good thing I waited to buy a case of this stuff seems like garbage this year. Gonna put my 1500 towards a case of NT instead I think

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills

I think its ridiculous that people get all bent out of shape if people mention value or say the return on investment is bad. It is a hobby for pretty much everyone here. I will never attempt to make money with my hobby, but I think asking for fair VALUE for my hard earned money if reasonable. Seeing some of UDs releases lately does make me sick. Filling it with a pile of unused, old stock and redemptions is not okay. I literally cannot remember the last box I bought that was not Panini or ITG actually. Making money should not be expected ever really but getting a decent return most of the time is what keeps us coming back. If I get decent value in my breaks it allows me to add more goodies to my own collection.

That being said there are definitely a couple cool cards there and some value but not for the cost of a case unfortunately. Ans Brian Flynn as a /99 rookie?! Thats possibly the strangest thing Ive ever seen in terms of numbering for rookies. Hes an okay 4th line prospect but certainly on the lower end of the rookie list

SCF Rewards
    Country

I understand about collecting for fun; at the same time, if you enjoy the cards, that's really what counts.

However.

When dropping good money on any product (speaking for myself, I could never afford or justify buying a case of hockey cards) one should expect a certain value. The card hobby is a sad example where some guys hit the jackpot, while the majority end up with mediocre return for what was paid. There's a problem with the entire concept of collectable cards, IMO.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 416gibby's Items on eBay

Thanks for sharing the Break!!!

Sounds like you enjoyed breaking the case and the card design is real nice.

I always break a case if I decide to build a set. Is this the cheapest way ? absolutely not but is it more fun than than chasing the cards you want on Ebay and forums ? No comparison

When you break a case and evaluate it on the the value and come up short just remember this

The single buyers have zero chance of getting the huge hits you had a chance

I have always found the High value cards I pull out off packs brought more pleasure than the ones I bought or traded for to complete the sets I am working on.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (59)
    Country

Please PM a price on the Ultimate autographed threads Bergeron /25 if it's available. Thanks!!

Collecting high end Cam Neely and Ray Bourque autographs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast