Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bulard280's Items on eBay

Did I overpay for this?

Hello,

I won this auction yesterday, I know it is hard to tell since the seller doesn't list everything and the pictures aren't great but what do you think? Did I get a good price? Overpay? I am trying to build up my collection so I can start setting up at local card shows.

Thank you for your input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231307771615...84.m1497.l2649

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (17)
    Country
    See iidaemmi's Items on eBay

Reasonable IMO. BTW.. I need the the ITG Gilmour Hero complete card (if price is reasonable :))

Harri

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bulard280's Items on eBay

Shoot me a PM and I will let you know once I have the cards in hand.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Are you looking to keep some and re-sell to recoup costs?

If so, I'd say you probably did ok in the end. You need to make back about $4 a card. There's a Mackinnon ITG Patch that should do pretty well, Bossy Cup sigs and Gaborik Peerless Patches, The Kessel Private Signatures should get you $20, the Nylander ITG auto might get you $20 from Leaf fans ditto the Ritchie on a price guess, the Modano should do pretty well etc. so those help lower your price target on a per card basis. Probably a bunch more that I couldn't even make out due to scans.

If it were me, I'd put the BD Jerseys in lots for re-sale, the common ITG autos in lots for re-sale and so on and so forth and list to big ticket items separately.

This seems a case of "can't be bothered to put in the work to list stuff so I'll just get a $ amount that I'm ok with". If you're willing to put in the work then I'm sure you'll do fine.

That would be my own personal idea of hell!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

That lot is my personal idea of heaven :)

I just spent $1200 on a bigger lot than yours, but with maybe half the quality. I love pulling what I want for myself and then putting the work in flipping them one by one. There a more than a few in yours that should sell for a very good price. Remember, almost everyone is looking for that one sommmmmmethingggggggg.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

There are a few decent cards, as mentioned above (plus I would love a crack at that Bossy Jersey/Auto from Decades 1980's) that can carry the load on re-sale. Probably overpaid slightly IMO but not too badly.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Personally, I think you overpaid for this lot. Over $1100US is about $1200 CDN if not more... Plus I only see one cup card shown in the pics...! Anyways if you are looking to set up at local card shows you should still get the attention since there are a few cards in there to look at. Good luck with the sales!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I personally think you over-paid quite a bit. But.... I have bought quite a few of these lots and it's very hard to tell until you SEE all the cards. When all said is done, eBay fees and your time spent you have a good chance of breaking even or losing.

You also have a good chance at scoring quite big as well as quite a few PC cards!

When I buy these cards there are two things I really look at. The seller's feedback, it let's me know how experience the seller is. If it is high there is a better chance he knows what he is selling and there is a reason he is selling like this. He had trouble piecing it out.

The other is the cards I CAN see. Of course, a seasoned seller/collector knows very well the cards to put forward to attract bidders. I tally up total of what I could sell the cards showing for and then go from there. The Mystery is a huge part of buying a lot like this. It's like cracking wax.

I must say that buying like this is easily one of my favourite ways to spend money. It's like Christmas Day to me! I also must say that your lot look higher end then anything I have bought in this manner.

I am a huge ITG fan and I know a ton of other people are. I see some good cards already. Some really good cards, actually.

If you have any ITG Red Wings, Motown Madness, Decades, Captain C pls let me know :)

And good-luck!!! You will certainly have fun. Cheers,
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

PM sent about a card I'm very interested in!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habscards's Items on eBay

If you were to sell the cards individually on eBay you would have to make $1,260 in sales to break even. That is after paying eBay fees. You got a decent deal that you will be able to make money on. Their are a few cards there that should sell decently well. Their are also a bunch that if you can get a buck or two for it you should be happy. As you stated in your original post that you plan on setting up a table at a cards show that the table will cost you $40.

Maybe be I think differently but I try to compare the table fees at a card show to selling on eBay. If you sell on eBay with a Buy it Now with Best Offer (the best way to sell) you would have to make $334 worth of sales at a card show to equal out what eBay fees would have cost you for your table. That would be the cut off point for getting a table whether it is better to sell at a show at $40 compared to on eBay with their fees. I think that with this lot you had purchased you are much better off to sell on eBay.

Buying re-sale lots like this can be great but not that great. Just say that you can sell everything piece by piece online I think you can make $200-300. That sounds great but by the time that you scan, upload, list, negotiate offers with buyers, sell, package, post office, need to buy supplies, etc it is very time consuming. Just say that to do all of that it may be five minutes a card. Five minutes times 280 cards is about 23 hours worth of work. That works out to a lot of work and a lot of time. That is also assuming that every card sells in a timely fashion. I know from having an eBay store that some cards move really slow.

I would suggest selling the lower lower end cards in bulk lots and let someone else deal with that headache. It is a lot of work to sell cards for a buck or two. If you can sell them for $0.75 each let someone else nickle and dime a profit.