Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: What is the future of hobby value for Ryan Smyth?

Voters
45. This poll is closed
  • Increase in value

0 0%
  • Decrease in value

45 100.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

2007 is ancient years..

It's what I read from ebay sellers from blowout forums
    The last 2 years.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ok you win, if you heard it on blowout that is definitely more reliable than actual sales history.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I don't see how Smyth doesn't drop.

He was a "fan favorite" type in Edmonton, but I can't see the interest in his stuff ever existing past Oilers fans - and as the Oiler fans that remember him get older, and younger fans take up this hobby.... there will be less and less demand.

In all honesty, I can't imagine there are many Ryan Smyth fans out there that are teenagers (or younger).

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I think the question should be whether or not his cards will maintain value or drop. Increase? No chance. Maintain, quite possibly. It's hard to say. Trevor Linden still has enough of a following that his stuff still sells well, but I don't think Smyth has the same following. I think he should, but he doesn't.

SCF Rewards
    Country

His cards are easy to find in bargain bins or to pick up in trade so why even worry about the up or down.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I think the question should be whether or not his cards will maintain value or drop. Increase? No chance. Maintain, quite possibly. It's hard to say. Trevor Linden still has enough of a following that his stuff still sells well, but I don't think Smyth has the same following. I think he should, but he doesn't.

Linden has long been considered one of the greatest players to ever wear a Canucks jersey. Like it or not, Smyth is behind a long line of Oiler greats who played on one of the NHL's best dynasties. Unless you want to collect Smyth for the long run I'd say sell now.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Linden has long been considered one of the greatest players to ever wear a Canucks jersey. Like it or not, Smyth is behind a long line of Oiler greats who played on one of the NHL's best dynasties. Unless you want to collect Smyth for the long run I'd say sell now.

That is an excellent point. I was comparing Smyth to Linden, not Smyth to other Oilers, and Linden to other Canucks. Great point!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

IMO and incidentally as neither a fan nor a collector of either or them, comparing Linden (Captain Canuck) and Smyth (Captain Canada) is quite apropos; almost identical NHL numbers (Linden 1382GP, 375/492/867, 0.627PPG, Smyth 1270GP, 386/456/842, 0.663PPG) which alone would get neither of them consideration for the HOF, but with additional pluses (Linden with his leadership efforts in the NHLPA, etc. and Smyth on the national team level), that it would not surprise me to see either of them elected to the HOF. Sure, I guess I was a bit optimistic when I said I think Smyth is a surefire bet for the HOF, but I don't think it's crazy talk.

From http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=10996

"Aside from his gold medal at the 1995 World Junior Championships, Smyth has represented his country on numerous occasions. A six-time member of Canada's World Championship team (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005), Smyth went on to capture gold in both 2003 and 2004, was a gold medalist with Canada at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City and played a key role in Canada's victory at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey. Smyth represented Canada in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin and has represented his homeland so often that he has been referred to as "Captain Canada"."

OPG Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @Attackfan74

maybe if captain canada lead his teams deeper in the playoffs he wouldn't have had to slum it in the joke they call the world championships.......an above average player but not a HOF'er
    Bobby Ryan NON 1/1 PC 1280/1339 95.6%
    Aidan Dudas NON 1/1 PC 47/47 100%!!!!!
    Nick Suzuki PC 152 cards
    Wayne Gretzky PC 1593 cards
    Wade Boggs PC 359 cards
    Tony Gwynn PC 187 cards
    Derek Jeter PC 90 cards

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Its not that it is crazy but rather highly unlikely. As a couple of posters have noted there are a number of better players still waiting to get in the hall ahead of Smyth. Also, what makes Smyth stand out so that he can have his plaque in the same room as the greatest players to ever play the game?

The most solid argument for his inclusion was that he played for Team Canada whenever the chance was offered. How many other players do this for their countries without the fanfare that Smyth receives because he is in Canada?

A great player and an awesome patriot when it came to Canadian hockey. A HOF? No.

However if Smyth were to become a great scout or coach or GM down the road and have a successful post-playing career then he might possibly get in on the merits of being an above average player and coach/GM/scout.

Again just my humble opinion.

IMO and incidentally as neither a fan nor a collector of either or them, comparing Linden (Captain Canuck) and Smyth (Captain Canada) is quite apropos; almost identical NHL numbers (Linden 1382GP, 375/492/867, 0.627PPG, Smyth 1270GP, 386/456/842, 0.663PPG) which alone would get neither of them consideration for the HOF, but with additional pluses (Linden with his leadership efforts in the NHLPA, etc. and Smyth on the national team level), that it would not surprise me to see either of them elected to the HOF. Sure, I guess I was a bit optimistic when I said I think Smyth is a surefire bet for the HOF, but I don't think it's crazy talk.

From http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=10996

"Aside from his gold medal at the 1995 World Junior Championships, Smyth has represented his country on numerous occasions. A six-time member of Canada's World Championship team (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005), Smyth went on to capture gold in both 2003 and 2004, was a gold medalist with Canada at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City and played a key role in Canada's victory at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey. Smyth represented Canada in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin and has represented his homeland so often that he has been referred to as "Captain Canada"."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast