Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: What is the future of hobby value for Ryan Smyth?

Voters
45. This poll is closed
  • Increase in value

0 0%
  • Decrease in value

45 100.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

POLL: Future hobby value of Ryan Smyth

Hello Everyone;

As you may have read in an earlier post I am contemplating selling off my Ryan Smyth collection.

What do you think the future holds for his hobby value?

1. Increase in value as time goes on?
    2. Decrease in value as time goes on?

Thank-you for your opinions.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joshpackham's Items on eBay

very few veterans ever see an increase in their hobby value
    Hidden Content
    I collect Ovechkin, Matt Johnson and Nathan Horton

MY PC
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

Now that he is retired, we ask if he is a good candidate for the HOF. With his decent pro stats and outstanding national team play, I think he is a surefire member very shortly after eligibility. You might see a bump in interest in his cards upon inception to the HOF, but I think it will be small if at all. Flat values with a HOF blip, then a slow decline over time.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I collect HOF and future HOF players and I would bet a lot of money he never gets in or is even in the conversation. Guys like Recchi, Doug Wilson and Lindros plus many others are way ahead in line. Steve Larmer had almost a PPG average and isn't even in the convo for HOF. Gary Unger had 9 seasons with 30+ goals. I would say absolutely, 100% zero chance he gets into the hall.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Michael Jordan cards have gone down after his retirement. ...The longer time has gone..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Devyn0417's Items on eBay

Smyth in the hall ? LOL, good one.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Michael Jordan cards have gone down after his retirement. ...The longer time has gone..

Well his RC is his biggest card and that card + the price of 86 wax is up substantially. A PSA 9 Jordan sold for 400-800 in 2006 and sells today for 2500. A box of 86 wax is 29,000 dollars today.

All vintage is way way way up, but you have to be holding the right players and Smith is not one of them.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Only way he ever gets in the Hall of Fame is if he goes in the builder category. As a player he just doesn't cut it. He could always visit though like the rest of us.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well his RC is his biggest card and that card + the price of 86 wax is up substantially. A PSA 9 Jordan sold for 400-800 in 2006 and sells today for 2500. A box of 86 wax is 29,000 dollars today.

All vintage is way way way up, but you have to be holding the right players and Smith is not one of them.

It reached a peak a few years ago and declined a bit in recent years...

Smyth is no jordan ...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes, I get that Smyth is no Jordan hence my post on Smyth having no chance at HOF. He's not even Unger or Napier much less MJ.

Jordan rookie has not slowed down at all, up 300% since 2007. And to be clear you said "Michael Jordan cards have gone down after his retirement. ...The longer time has gone."

Jordan retired in 2003 and his rookie is up 1000% from that date.

If anyone is interested in vintage card prices, here is the bible:

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/index.php

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast