Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Dennis Rodman vs Shaquille O'Neal

Both players were larger than life characters both on and off court. Best known for playing with Michael Jordan during 90's, Rodman and 2000 Lakers run, Shaquille. So in terms of hobby popularity who wins and why? Which player has the most loyal collectors?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Not sure why you decided to compare the two besides the fact that they had big personalities and were popular? A lot of players could be compared based on those two broad categories. More variables need to be taken into account for a comparison to be a really effective one.

Anyway, I grew up in the '90s, and it's Shaq by a mile, both short-term and long-term, and per many more variables.

Shaq dominated from the start. Rodman got a few more rebounds per game, but Shaq was not only effective in that category, he scored in massive amounts. He blocked shots. He tore down backboards. His size and intensity intimidated opponents on both ends. No big man had been so dominant since Wilt, or perhaps Kareem, though Shaq also had to run into Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime when Hakeem was better. He was simply a much better, well-rounded, more dominant, and more intimidating basketball player than sideshow freak Rodman, who didn't even grab headlines until he started getting tattoos and dyeing his hair blond (and that was with the Spurs, no less, a team he couldn't do much with or lead with despite David Robinson's skill - Rodman needed to be a supporting guy behind Isiah and Dumars on the Pistons, when he wasn't that popular, and with Jordan and Pippen on the Bulls, when he became popular mostly due to his antics rather than his game, which never changed or developed from the Pistons era onward when he was already known for rebounding and defense, and was then finally held in check by Phil Jackson's genius after Rodman's checkered tenure with San Antonio).

After MJ retired, Shaq carried the hobby until MJ came back. His rookies and rare inserts could be found for massive prices when a blond-haired Rodman needed gimmicks to draw attention to something beyond his rebounding and defense.

Shaq has always outdone Rodman value-wise. He also has many more collectors. I have always found it easier to move Shaq cards vs. Rodman.

Again, it's not even close when you analyze carefully and break down the details. You might as well compare Ron Artest to Kobe Bryant.

SCF Rewards
    Country

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Rocksaysits420's Items on eBay

Not sure why you decided to compare the two besides the fact that they had big personalities and were popular? A lot of players could be compared based on those two broad categories. More variables need to be taken into account for a comparison to be a really effective one.

Anyway, I grew up in the '90s, and it's Shaq by a mile, both short-term and long-term, and per many more variables.

Shaq dominated from the start. Rodman got a few more rebounds per game, but Shaq was not only effective in that category, he scored in massive amounts. He blocked shots. He tore down backboards. His size and intensity intimidated opponents on both ends. No big man had been so dominant since Wilt, or perhaps Kareem, though Shaq also had to run into Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime when Hakeem was better. He was simply a much better, well-rounded, more dominant, and more intimidating basketball player than sideshow freak Rodman, who didn't even grab headlines until he started getting tattoos and dyeing his hair blond (and that was with the Spurs, no less, a team he couldn't do much with or lead with despite David Robinson's skill - Rodman needed to be a supporting guy behind Isiah and Dumars on the Pistons, when he wasn't that popular, and with Jordan and Pippen on the Bulls, when he became popular mostly due to his antics rather than his game, which never changed or developed from the Pistons era onward when he was already known for rebounding and defense, and was then finally held in check by Phil Jackson's genius after Rodman's checkered tenure with San Antonio).

After MJ retired, Shaq carried the hobby until MJ came back. His rookies and rare inserts could be found for massive prices when a blond-haired Rodman needed gimmicks to draw attention to something beyond his rebounding and defense.

Shaq has always outdone Rodman value-wise. He also has many more collectors. I have always found it easier to move Shaq cards vs. Rodman.

Again, it's not even close when you analyze carefully and break down the details. You might as well compare Ron Artest to Kobe Bryant.

+1

SCF Rewards
    Country

For me Shaq is underrated and a good person off the court and Rodman is just plan odd, and from I've read, he is in financial trouble.
    It takes more than just skills than to make the hobby industry, and Rodman doesn't have it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Fun topic.

This one is tough though it really shouldn't be. Shaq was the better player on the court and is the better person off of it so he should be winning this by a mile but I think it is closer than people might think. Shaq was the "it" thing in 1992 and basketball was the #1 sport in terms of buzz with him. Everyone wanted Shaq and it didn't matter if it was Classic, Upper Deck, etc. But he basically faded after that with the Magic after not winning a championship. He went to the Lakers and won a bunch of titles but it seems like Kobe got all the attention. He then bounced around to other teams including the Heat where he won a title and weird teams like the Suns and Celtics and probably a bunch more that I don't remember. Even on the Heat championship it seemed like collectors preferred Wade.

Rodman was basically a hobby and media nobody with the Pistons (even though he was good and the teams were legit NBA champions). Then he left there to go to the Spurs and that's where he began to get crazy. The dyed hair, tattoos, etc. He was one of the best rebounders but he was getting more fame for his off the court antics than the on the court ones. Jordan lobbied to bring him to the Bulls and he and the Bulls had an amazing season breaking all kinds of records but he was always behind Jordan and Pippen. He also bounced around to a bunch of nobody teams near the end of his career.

So Shaq should be the clear favorite here but he never really *clicked* with the fans like somebody of his caliber should have while Rodman probably has some fans that are as crazy as he is bidding for his stuff.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Raptors
    See alexmovel's Items on eBay

I have noticed that Rodman is getting some more love in the hobby lately but I agree with the majority and say Shaq by a long shot!

SCF Rewards
    Country

SHAQ all day.. no comparison

Rodman was great when he played for the Pistons. I like to remember him as the young quiet, shy guy on the bad boys that played ball to get noticed instead of dying his hair to be noticed. Coming out of a D2 school and making it in the league is impressive..(is he the only D2 college player to make it to the hall?)
    By the time he was with the Bulls he was all about himself and his oddities.

Shaq represented a new generation in the NBA when he came in. I used to resent him because he took the leagues eyes off an aging Larry Bird. His agility/size/athleticism was insane. It made me sad that he would dominate the league and BIrd would soon retire, but I eventually fell in love with Shaq. Plus his favorite rap group was the Fu-shnickens as was mine/..... What's up Doc can we rock?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HK (59)
    Country
    See Agdead2006's Items on eBay

Shaq by a universe. These two aren't even in the same category of player, or personality.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I say Shaq now and it will only grow. He's still in the media increasing his fandom, while Rodman is pretty much off the radar unless you're talking about his visits to Korea.