Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gsj68's Items on eBay

Ferguson-like attack in Utah escapes media notice; race bias seen

"On the surface, the cases appear nearly identical: Michael Brown and Dillon Taylor, two young, unarmed men with sketchy criminal pasts shot to death by police officers two days apart.But while the world knows of the highly publicized situation involving 18-year-old Mr. Brown, whose Aug. 9 death in Ferguson, Missouri touched off violence, protests and an angry national debate, most people outside Utah have never heard of 20-year-old Mr. Taylor.

Critics say there’s a reason for the discrepancy in media coverage: race. Mr. Brown was black and the officer who shot him was white. Mr. Taylor wasn’t black — he’s been described as white and Hispanic — and the officer who shot him Aug. 11 outside a 7-Eleven in South Salt Lake wasn’t white.
    The perceived double standard is fueling resentment and talk of double standards on conservative talk radio and social media, where the website Twitchy has compiled a list of Twitter comments asking why Mr. Brown’s death has been front-page news for weeks while Mr. Taylor’s was a footnote at best.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz3BX0eierw

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

The shootings themselves aren't news, sadly. People get shot dead every day in the US, so it's not a story, at least not a grabbing one. The media covered the riots. There were no riots in Utah.

We know the media will only sell a sensational story. I think the real question here is a societal one; Why did one shooting result in riots and another went unnoticed almost completely? Is it a race thing? Political? Just that different areas do things differently? What is it that caused riots in one spot and not another?

Instead of playing the double standard card, which only furthers an already bad situation, people should be asking "why here and not there?"

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gsj68's Items on eBay

The shootings themselves aren't news, sadly. People get shot dead every day in the US, so it's not a story, at least not a grabbing one. The media covered the riots. There were no riots in Utah.

We know the media will only sell a sensational story. I think the real question here is a societal one; Why did one shooting result in riots and another went unnoticed almost completely? Is it a race thing? Political? Just that different areas do things differently? What is it that caused riots in one spot and not another?

Instead of playing the double standard card, which only furthers an already bad situation, people should be asking "why here and not there?"

did the media cover or cause the riots?

my big picture is of coarse,cops kill unarmed

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

did the media cover or cause the riots?

my big picture is of coarse,cops kill unarmed

Depends. If you're talking local media, they likely facilitated it by covering the shooting (if they did, I don't know) but you and I only know about it because of the riots, I believe. By the time I heard about it, they were full blown and it had just been mentioned here. If the national media caused the riot, there would be riots elsewhere as well.

I'm not as worried about cop kills unarmed. A while back in Toronto, cops killed a kid armed with a knife. The only problem is he was on a bus by himself and a threat to no one but himself. Worst case scenario is he kills himself with the knife. Police killed him, presumably to keep bystanders from watching him kill himself.
    Robert Dziekanski was armed with a stapler, and 4 officers tazed him to death. Both armed, neither needed to he killed.

At the same time, an unarmed person can easily be deadly and you won't know it until you're dead. So armed or unarmed isn't my issue.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Mr. Taylor wasn’t black — he’s been described as white and Hispanic — and the officer who shot him Aug. 11 outside a 7-Eleven in South Salt Lake wasn’t white.

What does this even mean? Was the police officer who shot him black? The article goes on to post this so I was assume so:

From Mark Andersen: “Black cop kills unarmed white male #DillonTaylor in Utah. Where is @TheRevAl, @msnbc and @CNN? Is @DOJgov there? Did @BarackObama speak?”

And this: “People need to be just as angry over #DillonTaylor murder by a blk officer in Utah. He wasn’t armed!” said NeeNee in a Friday post.

But either way that was a poorly written sentence for the article. BTW I posted the shooting in the Ferguson thread but they never gave any details about the police officer (race, name, etc). Not like that would matter but it is curious what the media shouts out and then what the media buries.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

media coverage was out of control before the riots even started

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

I hadn't heard of the Dillon Taylor incident but I found out about Joseph Jennings from Addicting Info, which is quite left-wing.....

On August 23, Ottawa, Kansas police shot Joseph Jennings 16 times, even as his aunt and uncle begged them not to. According to KCTV in Ottawa, Jennings was suicidal. He had taken an overdose August 21, and two police officers helped to save his life. Both of those officers were involved in gunning down the teen, two days later.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/08...seph-jennings/

There's a LOT of trigger-happy police out there lately eh?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

media coverage was out of control before the riots even started

I can only go by what I see, and the first reports I saw were of the riots. And it's not like Iblind myself to news or anything.