Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

How did you decide on what to collect?

I was a pretty big collector in the late 80s - mid 90s, then I got in high school and my money, instrests, etc turned to other things. I was pretty big into basketball/baseball and had some really good cards like Jordan Team Leader (was hot back then), etc... my best was Jordan RC and I ended up selling it for $500 along with 90% of my valuable cards prolly 10 years ago..

I now have a 5 year old son and regret ever getting rid of them... went through my cards other day and my best card I have left is 89 Griffey UD, Ripken RC, etc but not much of any value....

but now it seems like a card isnt worth CRAP unless its graded. I really dont have any intrest in collecting all these patches, autograph, etc cards (mainly because they are expensive and dont wanna invest in a young player who may be a flop)... id rather buy Jordan, Bird, Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Barry Bonds, etc type players. Because they were who I grew up loving and also because I know they will go down as all time greats... I cant see throwing down $1000 on a Big Ben card right now... just not gonna happen no matter how many were made... just dont intrest me..

so I was thinking of putting a list together of my favorite players... maybe top 5 from each sport (baseball, football, basketball) and getting the highest graded rookie card I can find... Most likely going to go for BGS 9 or 9.5s... most these will run $500-$1000 each so will take some time to build up my collection...

but if I say "top 5 favorites" at least there is an END one day. the collection can eventually be finished. So i think thats what im going to do. My first card Im in market to buy is a 86 Fleer Jordan BGS 9. Then will move onto some others like Nolan Ryan, Magic Johnson, Barry Sanders, etc...

so my question is, how did you decide on "What to Collect"... back in day when I collected it was easy. There werent 50 different brands of cards and only a few insert series. And a $100 card was a REALLY NICE card (at least to me it was) now I just dont see how anyone can be a modern card collector...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Cool!

Have fun with that abd I hope it works out!

here is one example......

I collect Matt Holliday because I like him a lot and he isn't like Albert Puljos where everyone is trying to get him.... He is a young star and is having an outstanding year this year and I think he will be good later on as well!

SCF Rewards
    Country

elway - cant argue with MYoung and Dirk!!! I live in Arlington and those are 2 of my current fav players!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I collect Matt Schaub.

I like players out of UVA and he is from Pittsburgh, PA. My dad is from that area and my favorite NFL team is the Steelers. So naturally I picked Schaub. I also collect Herman Moore and Tiki Barber but mostly Schaub. I don't collect for the $$$$ though I collect for my entertainment.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See darthtampon's Items on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-TOPPS-METS-...QQcmdZViewItem

theres your psa 9 nolan ryan. And this is actually a great price at only 4 grand.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See supplystud's Items on eBay

My strategy is pretty simple...I collect for a list of players that I label as "My favorite players". This list is comprised of players that I like...I normally make that decision based on position they play (I like TE's, RB's, QB's, DE's the most), What team they play for, The player's history (Mike Anderson was a Marine...etc), College played for (Alex Smthe went to U of Utah), and I rank by a player's character on and off the field (TO and Randy Moss will never darken my list)

Once I complete my list of favorites I collect the following on each player:

1. Rookie Cards
    2. Autographed card from any year other than their Rookie Year (I strive to get autographs directly on the card not on a sticker)
    3. Memoribilia card from any year other than their rookie year (I strive for 3 color or more on memoribilia cards)

That is how I collect.

I have an extensive spreadsheet that tracks all of these players and whether or not I have achieved the desired type of cards for each player. It also tracks where they went to school, position, jersey number, rookie year, rookie card year, date entered hall of fame, date died, year retired...and it has links to 3 great web sites for stats and player information for each player on my list.

I will gladly send this file to anyone who asks for it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See darthtampon's Items on eBay

Oh and to actually answar your question. I collect nolan ryan. Any brand, type, ect that is out there. Im not sure why I decided to collect ryan but I have fun doing it. My only issue with collecting his is that so many other people do to driving his card prices way up.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree with supply stud on this one! Guys like TO and Moss would never be in my collection!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mwurst8hgi's Items on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by 00bolt
    I was a pretty big collector in the late 80s - mid 90s, then I got in high school and my money, instrests, etc turned to other things. I was pretty big into basketball/baseball and had some really good cards like Jordan Team Leader (was hot back then), etc... my best was Jordan RC and I ended up selling it for $500 along with 90% of my valuable cards prolly 10 years ago..

I now have a 5 year old son and regret ever getting rid of them... went through my cards other day and my best card I have left is 89 Griffey UD, Ripken RC, etc but not much of any value....

but now it seems like a card isnt worth CRAP unless its graded. I really dont have any intrest in collecting all these patches, autograph, etc cards (mainly because they are expensive and dont wanna invest in a young player who may be a flop)... id rather buy Jordan, Bird, Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Barry Bonds, etc type players. Because they were who I grew up loving and also because I know they will go down as all time greats... I cant see throwing down $1000 on a Big Ben card right now... just not gonna happen no matter how many were made... just dont intrest me..

so I was thinking of putting a list together of my favorite players... maybe top 5 from each sport (baseball, football, basketball) and getting the highest graded rookie card I can find... Most likely going to go for BGS 9 or 9.5s... most these will run $500-$1000 each so will take some time to build up my collection...

but if I say "top 5 favorites" at least there is an END one day. the collection can eventually be finished. So i think thats what im going to do. My first card Im in market to buy is a 86 Fleer Jordan BGS 9. Then will move onto some others like Nolan Ryan, Magic Johnson, Barry Sanders, etc...

so my question is, how did you decide on "What to Collect"... back in day when I collected it was easy. There werent 50 different brands of cards and only a few insert series. And a $100 card was a REALLY NICE card (at least to me it was) now I just dont see how anyone can be a modern card collector...

I'm with you man. I can't see myself dropping hundred's of dollars on prospects who may never amount to anything. Personally, I collect HOF rookies and autographs. They pretty much won't drop in value as they will be remembered as HOFers forever. Specifically, I collect HOF pitchers. Ryan, Feller, Ford, Spahn, Koufax, etc. Now I have autoraphs of all of them and more.

Arlington eh? I live in the metroplex as well. Ever heard of Lewisville? I live right around in that area now.

SCF Rewards
    Country

ya Lake Lewisville is the place to be in the summer. I actually live in Mansfield, but own a store in south arlington... I been to about 10 rangers games already this year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast