Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

Check engine light Good or Bad.

I've got a question for you guys and gals, when your check engine light comes on do you get it checked right away or do you wait for signs from your car that something more than a minor issue is at hand. I miss the old days when a car didn't have things like this, the reason I'm asking this question is because mine came on the other day. I needed an oil change anyway, so I tell the mechanic about it he tells me get the oil changed and bring the car back up front, well I get in my car to drive to the oil change section and low and behold the check engine light is no longer on. It's been 2 weeks and it hasn't come back on so I guess I'm okay.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gsj68's Items on eBay

check engine light=good,very good
    autozone will check it for free,lead you right to the problem,saves hours of diagnostics
    your mechanic most likely pulled the battery lead and reset

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

check engine light means check the engine!

autozone was a good suggestions and don't wait.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Google what the Check Engine light for your make and model of car means. It is different for every vehicle. I had a Taurus that the light would come on if the gas cap wasn't tight enough (yeah, pretty irritating). We just got rid of a Subaru that it came on if there was a misfire. Like was already said, any Autozone or Advance Auto will check it for you for free.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

Thanks for the autozone tip guys it is some sort of electrical connection malfunction and a transmission problem

SCF Rewards
    Country

The diagnostic checkers at Auto Zone are directionally accurate because they are not very sophisiticated.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Can be good ie: better than a seized engine. or be bad ie: intermittent bad reading, a major pita

Some C.E.L come on at pre coded Minor/Major maintenance times, it can also come on via out of range readings from seasonal temp changes, change in driving conditions, gasoline.

Or they come on from actual failures(mainly sensors), or impending failures, as mentioned above best to take the vehicle to a trusted friend / repair facility(or better yet 3)
    If code shows a $10 sensor change it.

If code/condition can be "possible" timing belt, transmission, etc.. use most vehicle specific qualified opinion(someone with knowledge on that Make/Model).

PS: *Imho..google with critical thinking is a solid opinion too when weighing a repair*