Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Advice on Starting a Card Club with Students

In the past I was part of a card collecting club with students at my school. It was okay for a few weeks but then it flamed out. Personally, I believe that it was due to the fact that the club was comprised of mostly high school students and that the other teachers running the club wanted to charge students for packs. Years later I find myself at a new school in the Arctic with kids who are hockey crazy. I haven't said anything to them yet but I'm thinking of starting a card collecting club.

I will be funding the club out of my own pocket until I see that it is successful. If it flies, I will then approach my school about accessing funds for clubs and societies to purchase additional cards and card collecting supplies. I will start exclusively with hockey as it is the most popular sport by far here in the north.

Any suggestions from other members on what might work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That's very cool indeed.

I would start out with some introductory stuff to the hobby itself. For the novices and people just getting started, it would be a very informative thing for them to know the trends, the status of the hobby, key players (on and off the ice), etc.

Encourage trading. Always encourage it. And make sure that it's fun for them.

Kids have so many options at 13-17 these days. Keeping their attention is no small feat, especially once they start to notice girls.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Thanks, I'm going to start very young as well, probably those kids in the Elementary grades. They have favorite teams and players so I think they will really be into trading. With the older students I will try to encourage them to write the players for autos on the cards I give them. Those letters could count as bonus English assignments lol.

Not sure what I will purchase but it will probably be something fairly recent and cheap. A good friend swears that 2005-06 Parkhurst cards are the best for sending away for autos. I also know that there are tons of RCs of players still active in the league so most of these guys will be easily recognizable to the kids. It is a huge set but the retail boxes seem to go for $30-35 which is not bad when you are getting about 28 packs (I think). At that price I should be able to start the club with a few boxes.

We'll see how it goes, might be the start of a lifelong hobby for someone. Thanks again.
    Last edited by pwskelly; 09-11-2014 at 02:06 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See frankrock's Items on eBay

Sounds like you're approaching it the right way. I think these kids are very lucky to have you there.

I'd definitely keep things towards the collecting and trading side of things and keep the focus on enjoying the cards as part of the enjoyment of the game. If it ever gets to the value side of things, allow that to happen naturally with some kids via osmosis without it becoming the main focal point.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks Frank, that's my hope. I don't want the kids to worry about the economics of the hobby. They can bust cheap wax and collect their favorite players or teams like we all did when we were their age.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (22)
    Country

What a great idea! The kids will love it! Good luck with everything!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See miscs75's Items on eBay

Not a bad idea at all. As for sending cards away, I personally love how OPC and 11-12 Score sign. Paper cards work great with almost any marker. If I was local, i'd have some monster boxes of commons they could go through to send to players.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See GSRfan's Items on eBay

Not a bad idea at all. As for sending cards away, I personally love how OPC and 11-12 Score sign. Paper cards work great with almost any marker. If I was local, i'd have some monster boxes of commons they could go through to send to players.

+1 . Anything without that gloss.

I guess as others have said, focus on the collecting. Collect your favourite team, favourite players etc. I have some common traders that I'd gladly give away for free (cause selling them for 50cents? not worth the work) so if they have favourite players, lmk and I'll see if there's anything you could use as give-away prizes to them or something.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Phillies Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Eagles
    Twitter: @docsobolatin See Scobes's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I was in a Card-Collecting Club back in Middle School in the early 1990s. It was alot of fun. We all brought in cards and traded after school. The teacher sold packs at cost (stuff like 1992/1993 Topps for $0.50 each). Luckily, I had my parents who taught me about cards from the mid-1980s, but I know for many of the kids, they needed basic knowledge (i.e. how to sort cards, how to store cards, etc.) Basic things like that which are innate to us must be taught somewhere along the line to some.

I commend you in your effort and hope your club goes well!

Scobes
    Hidden Content -- Hidden Content
    Baseball - Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Mark Sobolewski, Vintage, Set Needs & Phillies (in PHI uniform)
    Hockey - Valeri Kamensky, Chris Bala, Bob Kudelski, Patrick Rissmiller, & Autos/#ed/Base cards of Flyers (in PHI uniform)
    Football - 1950-60s Vintage & Eagles Autos Golf - Tiger Woods Basketball - 76ers Autos & Low-Numbered
    ABSOLUTELY NO INTERNATIONAL TRADING!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

For a younger crowd, I 'd consider panini stickers and albums.
    Last edited by brooaar; 09-14-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: touch up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast