Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobby is Dead

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Have the card companies hurt the collectability of their cards by releasing sets that have too many RCs? Obviously, they do not want to miss out if a young player has a great rookie season, but sets with 50+ RC? How many of those Young Guns you've collected over the years have actually become productive NHLers?
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would like to title this thread "Chicken Little". I am not surprised to see that this thread was initiated by a freEBAYer with a feedback of 8.
    The want list at this link features what I need of Gretzky, Roy, Ottawa Senators, and Miscellaneous sets. I also have a CFL want list on my page and if you have nothing from it I will consider other traders of current Ottawa Senators,Guy Lafleur, + trade bait.

Wants - Hidden Content

Traders - Hidden Content

BANNED

Country
    See Cardcaptain91's Items on eBay

I see it too. The hobby IS NOT DEAD.

It's just the forums that are getting lower in traction. And definitely the trading forum.

The postage rates have a huge part in this. It's kind of hard for younger people to get involved in the hobby online when it costs $7 to ship a card to china or somewhere overseas.

Let alone your domestic shipping charge of $2 for 1 card.

When you add it up if a little kid wants to trade 10 times a week or say 30 times in a months span.

That's still $20 a week or $60 in a month.

AND THAT'S JUST IF HES SHIPPING TO HIS OWN COUNTRY!

I am pretty sure people all over the world are looking for cards of all differences.

But the postage rates have absolutely killed the hobby as far as online is concerned. Especially for trading whihc a couple other people mentioned previously.

The hobby is not dead let me say that again!

I feel like everytime I go to the Toronto expo more and more people go each time. I can't even walk 2 feet without bumping heads with someone.

My backpack is constantly hitting people, LOL.

We just need to get more people involved in online activity and appreciation of the hobby.

People still love busting wax it's just it's hard to afford. Especially a 10 year old kid with no job but a paper route.

Group breaks have made a cheap yet still fun way of getting involved in the hobby. Couple people again mentioned this.

If we can find cheaper ways and more collective yet still fun ways to get involved in the hobby we can definitely get more people in this hobby to help get it on a better track to restoration.

We just need more people to WANT TO COLLECT. Not to say they collect.

We all have to act as a family to make the hobby better. We are all a family in this hobby.

More free cards to kids. And not just base cards. What's a $2 jersey card to you if it's going to make a kid happy for the next month and probably make him collect cards once hes older.

He will look back and be like I remember that guy, he gave me this card when I was 5.

When hes 20 he has a huge collection and has a passion beyond watching the game. He collects it and has experiences with it and wants to share it. Then when hes 20 he gives a kid a jersey card. Then the same cycle happens.

That is how we are going to make this hobby better and grow in the faces of younger people.

Peace,

Frank.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The Hobby is not dead. It has expanded or evolved for me. I no longer have a store front, have not for several years now (overhead is crazy expensive) nor do I do shows anymore as the prices of tables have gone up and everyone wants ebay prices. So why not just sell on ebay or have your own site which is what I do. You also have to be willing to deal outside North America now. I deal with more buyers from, Japan, China and Russia now. I rarely trade anymore as the only offers I normally get is something like I will trade you a Jeff carter patch for a Crosby patch straight up. My answer to that is no. I also only collect 1 player from each sport now so trading is limited for me as I will not trade cards I would rather sell for cards I will have to sell plus the postage I paid from a trade which makes no sense unless I get more back in the trade people get upset about that but the reality is I don't need anything from a trade unless it is a PC card.

All my deals are through ebay, email & text message now. Gone are the days of my meeting someone at a card show or a LCS.

As for the drop in younger collectors I don't see that. I have garage sales every year and I do set a card show inside my double garage and I get kids coming in all the time (I even pack up commons unsearched so there are Corsby's & Ovechkins ect in grab bags I give to them for free buy something or not. Kids are always happy with that. Sometimes they even ring my door bell to buy stuff from me. Most of the time I give them my business card and tell there parents to call me for permission to buy stuff from me.

BANNED

Country
    See Rustyisin65's Items on eBay

the hobby is not dead, it's just deader than it used to be for newer items.
    Anything pre-1987 stills sells as well or better than it ever did

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

its all about perspective.

for me, I have been in and out over the last 7 years with the hobby and I find that there are cyclical effects (time of year, products that are out, point in one's life, etc).

I think Andrew nailed it though
    One thing that I would declare is: Online collecting habits changed soon after postage rates jumped!

When I first got into back into the hobby, especially on the hockey side; the cost of postage to Canada was around $1.50; today it's nearly $7 for 2 ounces (400% jump in 7 years!). If you make a trade with someone, it's not going to be for base cards, the value has to be there.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays NULL
    Twitter: @@TheJMCole See mikescards141's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I would agree with most of the sentiments on here, the hobby is not dead, not even dying. It is changing; postage is by far the biggest problem we are facing in online trading. I do not trade at all for trade bait online, which has severely reduced the potential of trading. The postage is just too high to be moving cards for cards that I will need to move again. I just had an envelope returned to me because I mailed it the way I always do, and Canada Post did not just change the cost, they reduced the allowed sizes under certain costs. What had cost me $2.80 a month and half ago, they wanted $15.00 for, I re packed the envelope twice before I got it in the mail and had to add a couple of bonus cards to make up for the delay.

That said a lot of people are transitioning to selling first, possibly accepting trades for specific wants second to turn around and open more. We used to have a thriving box break section that was full of people busting trying to get their PC players and offering up for trade the rest. Now it is flip it as fast as you can and buy more. I am busting very little lately as my PC players just don't appear enough to justify buying. But even when they do show up, most people want to sell only.

Put this alongside the people who only bust cases to sell on ebay resulting in large numbers of product being available at low prices for fastest turn around it makes the online portion of the hobby less enjoyable.

At the LCS on the other hand I am having a blast. I load up a couple of boxes every Saturday and make my cards available for trade and have made trades 3 out of the last 4 weeks before our trade day this past Saturday. The trade day was also well attended, with people mostly looking to trade. I'm even thinking about some different ideas for trade nights once a month at a different location in Edmonton because there were a number of traders that are not available to trade on Saturday's and want to take part.

it's evolving not dying, change can be good we have to look for ways to embrace the changes and make it work. If the focus gets back on collecting and trading first, and then selling we will be much better off.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (17)
    Country
    See iidaemmi's Items on eBay

Perhaps it's not dying, but I don't understand how someone says, it's just fine. Card companies have already taken us the freedom to choose who you wanna collect.
    These days, when the Finnish card forum will be the new guy, and he says he will start again Mario Lemieux, Felix Potvin or Patrick Roy's collection, because he collected them before and owns a hundred old card, I feel sorry for him and I feel sorry for all of us.

The hobby has changed, change is, unfortunately, more bad than good. We can either adapt in some way, or hit the road.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Everyone wants to rip wax and do group breaks but very few want singles.

Once people stop buying singles completely the hobby will be that. But is basically a game of hot potato.

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

I will say the hobby has gone flat from years ago, I had Roy cards worth 1K and more, now they book at 300.00, the hobby will never be like it was, cards out of 25 were so rare, 1/1's were worth a ton of money, now there's so many 1/1's its a joke, but that's the card companies fault, I don't do wax anymore, not since 05/06 UD, I got 3 Crosby rookie and I was 3 ud yg's short of a sent, just my thought's.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the card companies. Did you really think those cards would always be worth $1,000? Unless you're talking vintage, most everything else is just the flavor of the week. I remember staring in awe at two showcases filled with game jersey cards. High priced stuff, with few exceptions, has nowhere to go but down. Never confuse your hobby with your investments.
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast