Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Mansplaining the continued religious preferences of women and minorities

Awhile back, I pointed out that women and minorities have greater percentages of religious belief than white males. Naturally, white atheistic males chipped in with the predictable knee-jerk response that the belief of women and minorities is due to "oppression."

There are few things as irritating as when I'm told I'm only religious because of "oppression." This condescending mansplaining assumes a couple of very patronizing things:

1) That, as a female, I somehow haven't had enough access to education to know anything else (which I have, and have studied);

2) That my decision is based entirely off others and not my own opinion (an insult to my ability to decide).

The atheist (often white male) like to think that, due to privilege and education, he is thus the speaker for all women and minorities, and so he believes his response is just, kind, and wise - standing up for those whom he believes have not been given enough choice and education. However, if a woman or minority still chooses to believe in religion even with education, knowledge, and deciding-ability given to her (or him), the atheist must then either acknowledge that he's wrong and that it's not oppression after all, or decide that the woman and minority is dumber than him (guess which one he decides most often is the case, thus calling into question his supposed belief in women's and minorities' intellectual "equality").

Of all the arguments against theism, the one I see atheists drag out more than any other is that theists are uneducated and stupid, uneducated and stupid, uneducated and stupid, uneducated and stupid, and uneducated and stupid (ad nauseam). Honestly, whatever sub-point people are arguing, it inevitably comes back to this arrogant generality. In other words, for the atheist, it's not some benevolent or empathetic concern for "oppressed others," but an I'm-better-and-smarter-than-you eugenics contest. Equality my backside.

What is more oppressive than someone constantly insulting your intelligence and education? My religion has not prevented me from studying, from learning, from making my own decision. Yet people who would insist they are freeing me from oppression are actually the ones insulting my ability to learn and decide the most.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

What stories of the Bible do you believe?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

DD I agree with you. It is nauseating how atheist always present themselves as the intellectually superior person when they often lack intellectual basis to their arguments. I also find it ironic that a large percentage of them are neither privileged nor highly educated in spite of their sincere effort to convince you otherwise.

What stories of the Bible do you believe?

I am guessing either A) you didn't read ANYTHING that she wrote or B) you are intentionally ignoring what she said to try and redirect the point of her thread.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I am guessing either A) you didn't read ANYTHING that she wrote or B) you are intentionally ignoring what she said to try and redirect the point of her thread.

+1, its a trick question.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Yankees Los Angeles Lakers New York Giants
    See ajcorleone's Items on eBay

So I am not the only one who notices that the claimed atheist speaks for all. Wow finally I think somebody is on the same page with me. Here I thought I was the only one who thought this. Funny thing is I knew of Atheism but never really met somebody who claimed to be one until I joined this site. Which seems to have quite a few.I almost thought this was an Atheist lobbying site disguised as a card trading site.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I can only speak for myself as an atheist, but I don't see religious belief having to do anything with education or oppression or lack there of. It's obvious to see that religious belief crosses all lines, education, financial, race, sex, and so on. To me most people are religious based off of what religious their parents follow and it was basically handed down. Obviously that's not the end all be all reason as people change or pick up religion based off of many reasons throughout their loves, but primarily I'd assume most people are the same religion as the rest of their family.

While I don't get a lot of the things religious people do and think I wouldn't call them uneducated because of it. Obviously there are a lot of uneducated people out there but their religious belief has nothing to do with them being uneducated or not. I personally don't have a need or desire to prove someone else's religious belief wrong or right, but I will defend against it when people want to use their religious belief to create legislation.

As for as your claim that the "white male atheists" are some primary group that thinks they speak for women and minorities... I don't see it. Although I don't know a lot of atheists in the public eye out trying to say what's good for minorities and women, maybe you do. There just aren't that many atheists out there. To me I see more politicians speaking about what's good for other's. Those politicians tend to be people of faith. I'm not sure what atheists are out trying to say what's good for women and minorities. I would need to see specific stories to comment one way or the other.

SCF Rewards
    Country

So I am not the only one who notices that the claimed atheist speaks for all. Wow finally I think somebody is on the same page with me. Here I thought I was the only one who thought this. Funny thing is I knew of Atheism but never really met somebody who claimed to be one until I joined this site. Which seems to have quite a few.I almost thought this was an Atheist lobbying site disguised as a card trading site.

I think there are only three or four people in this forum that identify as atheists, from what I remember.

I don't get your statement about atheists speaking for all? Can you expand on that statement?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

The point of my question was this. DD's post falsely states the "atheist" position about women and minorities. For some? Maybe that is the case. For all? No, it's not. Then she goes on to defend herself against that position. I know of no one here that ever accused HER of being oppressed or stupid.

Now, depending on how she answered my question; I would then have a better basis to make any accusations that I might make.

For the record, my position on silly beliefs is best explained by (can't be bothered finding the picture) the picture of the elephant being held in place by a rope and small stake.

Now any of you want to play the elephant and explain which parts of the Bible you believe are true?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

Now any of you want to play the elephant and explain which parts of the Bible you believe are true?

Jesus was a person on earth
    Jesus was a great teacher
    Jesus died via crucifixion
    Jesus is the root of Christianity
    Biblical teachings have influenced countless humans

SCF Rewards
    Country

I completely get Habs question because usually when the uneducated statements creep into the discussion is when people say they believe stories like Noah's ark to be 100% factual rather than it being a story used to present a biblical lesson. People who believe that just aren't thinking things out rationally, in my opinion. I still don't know how atheists are being deemed a group who act like they know best for women and minorities and in some way oppressing them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast