Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See DucksN9ers's Items on eBay

Are we allowed to talk guns here? Wanting to purchase .223 AR for HD & Fun

Im looking for something fun to shoot as well as use for home defense and a lot of people are pointing to the .223 caliber semi-auto AR's as they have a hight capacity mag and you can pick up good "stopping power" shells now as well as the ability to add on lots of cool accessories for it.

What do you guys think?

And if this isn't allowed here I apologize. Didn't see anything about it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes you can talk about guns here. Off topic stuff goes in the off topic forum but if it more about politics or religion that goes in the politics and religion sub forum.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys NULL
    Twitter: @@Mario78521 See Oxxon's Items on eBay

I would not get an AR15 for HD. .223 or 5.56 will make it all the way into your neighbors living room. For HD get a shotgun which you can add all the bells and whistles if you choose to do so. Shotgun pellets will stay inside your home. Now if you live out in the middle of nowhere and neighbors are not a concern go for the AR15.
    Buying Quincy Carter GUs and Autos

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This should be in Chit-Chat, not P&R, but it is allowed.

As Oxxon already said, if you want something for personal or home defense then don't go AR. Along with the concerns over penetration, it simply isn't conducive to close quarters defensive capabilities. A tactical shotgun is a good option. They are relatively inexpensive, a new Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 tactical will cost you under $500 and if you shop around you can find them under $400. In addition the cost of ammunition is offsetting because a box of 10 rounds of 00 buckshot will cost you $5 where a box of 50 rounds of .223 will cost you upwards of $40. Not to mention, if someone does break into your home the sound of you racking a round into a shotgun is distinguishable and will discourage the intruder from coming any closer.

My personal first choice for home defense is a handgun. I own shotguns, but my handguns are more readily available. I keep a gun safe under the table beside my bed that has a biometric lock. I place my thumb on the scanner and a split second later my handgun is in my hand. Added bonus, they are fun as hell to shoot.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See DucksN9ers's Items on eBay

Nice, you actually unlock the gun to possess it not unlock it like a trigger lock? Im leaning toward you guys as well about HD guns going the Shotty or handgun route as it makes more sense both round distance/penetration, accessability and cost of ammo not to mention your point about the sound of a round or two going into a shotgun before you even speak a word. lol

Im still going to pick up a .223 for fun as Ive been looking and am attracted to the AR look and lots of options for them. I guess as far as HD with one of these it would only be good in a zombie apocalypse or civil war type situation where Im defending the property on the outside of the home. lol

Going after me and my girlfriends concealed weapons permit soon.
    Thanks fellas

This should be in Chit-Chat, not P&R, but it is allowed.

As Oxxon already said, if you want something for personal or home defense then don't go AR. Along with the concerns over penetration, it simply isn't conducive to close quarters defensive capabilities. A tactical shotgun is a good option. They are relatively inexpensive, a new Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 tactical will cost you under $500 and if you shop around you can find them under $400. In addition the cost of ammunition is offsetting because a box of 10 rounds of 00 buckshot will cost you $5 where a box of 50 rounds of .223 will cost you upwards of $40. Not to mention, if someone does break into your home the sound of you racking a round into a shotgun is distinguishable and will discourage the intruder from coming any closer.

My personal first choice for home defense is a handgun. I own shotguns, but my handguns are more readily available. I keep a gun safe under the table beside my bed that has a biometric lock. I place my thumb on the scanner and a split second later my handgun is in my hand. Added bonus, they are fun as hell to shoot.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gsj68's Items on eBay

yea,im not a fan of the .223,good for marksman, i have a sks 7.62 or basically a short range 30 cal.
    my first line of defence is a full sized dog,he will let me know somethings going on before they burst through my bedroom door

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Nice, you actually unlock the gun to possess it not unlock it like a trigger lock? Im leaning toward you guys as well about HD guns going the Shotty or handgun route as it makes more sense both round distance/penetration, accessability and cost of ammo not to mention your point about the sound of a round or two going into a shotgun before you even speak a word. lol

Im still going to pick up a .223 for fun as Ive been looking and am attracted to the AR look and lots of options for them. I guess as far as HD with one of these it would only be good in a zombie apocalypse or civil war type situation where Im defending the property on the outside of the home. lol

Going after me and my girlfriends concealed weapons permit soon.
    Thanks fellas

No doubt a .223 is a fun gun. I advise buying ammo in bulk. You will end up on some government watchlist for it, but you can get it for $15-$20 a box instead of paying retail that will hit you for $35+

For pure fun shooting you also might want to consider a carbine. I have a HiPoint .45 carbine that is a blast to shoot. Considering 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper ($12-14 a box compared to $18-$24 for .45), I wish I had gotten the 9mm instead of the .45, but either way they are a blast and a whole lot cheaper to buy. I paid like $189 for mine.

I have a gunsafe like this. http://www.walmart.com/ip/30252784 That way I can keep my .40 loaded and secured, but easily access it. Just put whatever finger you programmed into it on the scanner and the door pops open. Within a few seconds you have your loaded handgun ready to go. No way for the kids or anyone else to get into it. You can also program other people into it like your wife.