Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's what experts said on a vintage forum that these go for normally. ...maybe price has gone up...idk..

What forum? I would sell my house to buy every box available at 10K, and I can't imagine there is any recent sales history at that price.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

You can buy 250 ML's of Coke for 50 cents but a rare can from the 60's sells for 1000x the price of the soda:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Coca-Cola-diamond-can-from-the-UK-/321540144110?pt=UK_Collectables_Advertising_ET&has h=item4add493bee

It's very easy (albeit expensive) to acquire a gretz rookie or minty 79 commons but good luck finding a guy with a 79 wax box on his shelf. The box and wax packs are the collectible and the piece is nearly impossible to find.

Thank you for the example! I understand the Coke can retaining collectible status long after the product inside is no longer viable far better than I understand the MASSIVE valuation of the box and packs, given that the original draw is the cards themselves, which are still in there and ready to be enjoyed! I would understand maybe 2-3K added on top for a nice box, but tens of thousands? I'll never get it. Too many people have too much money to throw around, so I guess I'm just jealous of their ability to do so.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sjw241's Items on eBay

Just a question, why does it say BaseBall Card Exchange on the plastic wrapper on the box? was that normal on a hockey box?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

If you read the description, it says

It has been securely wrapped and given the label of approval by noted pack expert Steve Hart who confirmed its status with his notation, 'WAX BOX - TAPE INTACT!'

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mw83krk's Items on eBay

Personally I could never own a sealed box of cards without opening it -- heck, sometimes I can't make it out of the parking lot without opening a pack or two :)

In terms of the item itself, for a collector with an unlimited budget this becomes an interesting piece. High end collectors will always be able to get high end autographs, and even the highest end RC's have print runs of 99 -- making those pieces always attainable if you are willing to pay. This however comes along only once in a while; get a few of these collectors battling it out for a piece that can take their collection to the next level, and you get the type of prices that are being thrown out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123