Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Practices

SCF Rewards
    Country

Shipping Practices

I'm not going to point any sellers out specifically, not interested in leaving bad feedback or making anyone look silly but...

I have 10 or so transactions on this forum and have bought some decent sized lots. For every one card that gets shipped properly I get 2 transactions that arrive poorly packaged.

In one case I got a bubble mailer with a Safeway bag inside and the best card in one of those snap cases for multiple singles. Card was pretty beat up. Other cards in the bag were in top loaders no sleeve or team bag.

Bought a lot of mid range and all cards were in a 250 CT box packed tight, no protection, with one card on top of the stack in a top loader with no sleeve or team bag.

One transaction came in bubble mailer with two cards in the same sleeve in a 130pt top loader with a used team bag. Team bag opened and the cards were hanging out in the mailer just in the sleeve.

One lot had tape on all the top loaders, took forever to take the tape off and had to ditch and replace 50+ top loaders.

I'm starting to think I'm the only guy buying modern that wants cards to arrive in good shape. A number of these sellers have perfect feedback so I assume that no one else has an issue with this. I come from buying vintage and no one would ship cards the way I'm getting my modern orders. For vintage we go sleeve, CS1, cardboard both sides and bubble mailer. It takes a bit to package up but cards arrive exactly how they should. I don't grind for deals and am ok paying top dollar but want the seller to spend the extra 2 bucks so that my cards arrive in good shape.

I know when I ship I use an appropriate size bubble mailer, penny sleeve, proper sized top loader and into a team bag. 5 dollar card of 500 dollar card everything goes out packaged properly. Most of the lots I buy on Ebay also come packaged properly.

Point of this post is not to be negative, I'm basically at the point where I assume that cards I get from this forum are going to be packaged with little to no care and I'm trying to figure out if my expectations are too high or if I've just had a bad run of luck.

How does everyone expect their cards to be shipped and am I being unreasonable?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

From what you've described, I honestly think you've run into some bad luck. I would say 90% of my deals here were packaged just fine, usually with sleeve, top loader (sometimes multiple cards in one loader, but usually only as appropriate), reinforcement and secure outer packaging (I use a cardboard DVD mailer, most use a bubble mailer).

The only complaint I usually have is with the continued usage of sticky transparent tape on top loaders, which almost invariably leaves residue and causes me to toss the top loader or break out the Goo Gone. If everyone would switch to the blue or green painter's tape (or at least masking tape), it would be a great thing!

Try a few more transactions on here and see if it gets better.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I hear you on tape, not sure why folks don't just throw the top loader in a 1 cent team bag, they are perfect for keeping the card in the top loader.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI(40)+
    Country
    Twitter: @genecummings77 See genorama77's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

I agree with the Gallinator, most are pretty good. And geez with the scotch tape overload...everyone go get some painter's tape and team bags!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See wllj30's Items on eBay

I don't mind the tape that much, I know i have run out of team bags and used tape from time to time. I don't have any place local to buy supplies so when i run out i have to order more and that takes time. I know its hell trying to get the tape off and usually just toss the toploader but as long as card stays inside the toploader im happy.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mikebraycomics's Items on eBay

""If everyone would switch to the blue or green painter's tape (or at least masking tape), it would be a great thing! ""

I to have had to spend 30 minutes cutting thru clear sealing tape on a brick of cards - not complaining as they were protected very well ( actually cant think of any deals I`ve done on here that haven't been shipped very securely ) . What gets me is when cards I receive are in brand new top loaders ready to drop in the players slot in the PC - except a couple 2 inch pieces of some clear tape are holding the top closed tighter - perfect in all ways but the super sticky residue leaving tape that ruins the loader - please everyone spend a couple bucks {{ or just go look for it as probably half of households have a roll somewhere - toolbox , misc kitchen drawer , under the sink or in the garage }} a year on some masking tape or like everyone else the blue or green painters tape - heck I even reuse some of the painters tape that secures the top loaders or seals the team bags in my packages I just stick the strips on the edge of my work table all ready for packaging the next batch of cards to mail out - and it make the tape I buy go a lot farther -- and reuse those team bags too -

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

While not completely necessary, the way I ship cards is penny sleeve and toploader, I then put tape on the toploade but fold over both ends to that it is easy to peel (although residue may stick), team bag with either decoys or base cards inside for added padding with a small piece of tape also on the team bag (again, folded ends). Everything then goes into a toploader. Even thought I use a team bag, I still choose to use tape on toploaders because then I know that the cards won't slip out and get damaged somehow. The same goes for the team bags as I want to make sure it doesn't open.

I have zero experience with shipping or receiving huge bulk lots so I can't speak about packaging for those. However, I have no problem with multiple cards going into a single toploader provided they aren't jammed in there. In fact, I have done it myself many times as it can save space and reduce shipping costs. A package with 12 cards in 12 toploaders will be a lot thicker than 12 cards in 5 or 6 toploaders.

Also going back to tape and sticky toploaders, my rule of thumb is that we are trading/paying for the cards and not for mint supplies. If I am chipping or receiving, I am more concerned about making sure the cards arrive in the same condition as they were mailed. If that means toploaders get some residue on them, so be it. Also not everyone has easy access to supplies, and team bags are one more expense that some may choose to forgo. They are never required and many people will ship without them. Without team bags it is even more important to put a piece of tape on the toploader.

One piece of advice though, if you are receiving cards that are not in the condition as described when making the deal, you should contact the member you made the deal with to try and work things out. It is their responsibility to make sure that the cards are shipped safely. It's normal for cards to in Nrmt-Mint condition (slight rough edges, or minimal chipping), but creases, bent corners, excessive wear/chipping, and other damage should all be disclosed in advance. If you have troubles where you cannot resolve an issue directly with a member, you can put the trade in dispute. Just note that you cannot put a trade in dispute if you have already left positive feedback because positive feedback acknowledges that you are satisfied with the completed transaction. Feel free to PM a mod with any questions or concerns anytime.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sjw241's Items on eBay

One deal thru ebay really angered me last week. I got a really nice National Treasures Booklet, and the seller was nice enough to ship it in a booklet one touch. Those things arent cheap! Problem was, they used scotch tape to keep it closed in three spots. Now the residue is all over the holder and it is basically garbage! I realize I was purchasing the hockey card and not the holder, and the card arrived safely, but they didn't have to ruin a perfectly good one touch in the process!
    Another popular forum makes you ship a certain way and you have to detail the method in the trade thread. If you don't ship that way you can be suspended from the site. Not sure if SCF would ever consider doing this sort of thing.
    Collecting Ryan Murphy. Always looking to add PC Cards. Show me what you have to trade or sell!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

One deal thru ebay really angered me last week. I got a really nice National Treasures Booklet, and the seller was nice enough to ship it in a booklet one touch. Those things arent cheap! Problem was, they used scotch tape to keep it closed in three spots. Now the residue is all over the holder and it is basically garbage! I realize I was purchasing the hockey card and not the holder, and the card arrived safely, but they didn't have to ruin a perfectly good one touch in the process!
    Another popular forum makes you ship a certain way and you have to detail the method in the trade thread. If you don't ship that way you can be suspended from the site. Not sure if SCF would ever consider doing this sort of thing.

For one-touches and thick top loaders, it is definitely worth it to break out the "Goo Gone" or similar solvent. It won't hurt the plastic. Not worth the effort for a regular cheap top loader, IMO, unless you are into sticky residue (err, still talking cards here).

http://googone.com/Products/Original...Gone,-4oz.aspx

Sold at Wal-Mart, Target, most hardware stores, probably Canadian Tire, etc.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I do not sell, I only trade. I always re-use team bags, toploaders and even bubble envelopes. I do not mind getting the same in return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast