Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom/Brokerage Fees?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See truepar's Items on eBay

Custom/Brokerage Fees?

Hi all,

I ordered 4 boxes of cards from Steel City Collectibles over the Black Friday weekend. Ended up spending about $124 plus $21 shipping from UPS, so around $145. I've been told by UPS today that I owe another $60 in customs fees (duty/taxes). Which means I've spent $80 on shipping. I've never ordered cards/boxes from the US before... am I way out to lunch in thinking this is a crazy amount for shipping? If I had know that the $20 did not cover the import fees, I would not have bought anything. Money down the drain.

I did call Steel City and they confirmed that the $20 doesn't cover import fees and there's nothing they can do. Wish it had mentioned that on their website.

Thanks

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If you buy anything from the USA (or for that matter, anywhere in the world) there is always this chance.

When you're importing goods from another country, the Canadian government (through Customs) can impose taxes / duties.

I forget exactly how they can go about assessing a value.... but I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of "it's work $X in Canada, and you owe us 13% tax on that"..... plus a handy $15 or $20 charge for processing (something like that, anyway).

It's happened to me twice in 10+ years. Once was back in the early 2000s, on an eBay purchase. The next time was just earlier this year on a box of cards I got from COMC.

Packages like bubble mailers shouldn't normally be a problem...... but I don't buy boxes from places like Steel City or Dave & Adams for this reason. The import charges are too likely. You're no longer bringing in a single card, you're bringing in product. I'd expect that customs fees get slapped on WAY more often.

Side Note: This is what the eBay Global Priority Shipping covers. You pay Pitney Bowes an extra $15 + a percentage of your purchase price (something like that) and they will cover any duties that get applied.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, the government definitely took a chunk of change from this purchase, haha. Like you said, it might be enough to stop me from using Steel City or Dacardworld in the future. I did see the global priority shipping options on some Ebay boxes. Might have to go that route next time!

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This is unfortunately still a reality, and it is one of the primary reasons that you should always always always try to find deals from wax dealers in Canada. The amount you'll save by going through the US is pretty much all but wiped out by the exchange rate and the potential for customs fees.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Best site to buy boxes in Canada.

http://rednails2.com/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Check out some of the stuff in the on-sale section. Free pickup in Toronto as well.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've purchased and sold worldwide before, but never cards... so definitely a learning experience for next time.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sjw241's Items on eBay

UPS is the worst service to have anything shipped here. Chances are if they mailed it USPS you wouldn't have been charged any extra fees on $124. I have had tons of packages shipped through USPS worth more than $124 and paid no extra fees. The two I got from UPS were both charged crazy brokerage fees. Keep that in mind.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I've been hit with customs a few times. The biggest piss off was when I purchased a card for $13 and the seller stated the BV as it's value ($60) and I was hit with customs of some $20+. Wasn't happy.

Yes this is what the GSP covers. Beneficial if you expect Customs. This is why most sellers here and on eBay send as a 'Gift' to avoid the buyer having to pay customs/import fees. When buying from an actual business though they play by the book as they have to pay taxes etc on everything they sell so you are more likely to get hit with customs.

Best to find sellers in your own country. I have purchased boxes from a US seller and paid the GSP because it was still cheaper than what I could buy it for in Canada.
    Master List: Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

UPS is the worst service to have anything shipped here. Chances are if they mailed it USPS you wouldn't have been charged any extra fees on $124. I have had tons of packages shipped through USPS worth more than $124 and paid no extra fees. The two I got from UPS were both charged crazy brokerage fees. Keep that in mind.

That's also a very good point. What can brown do for you? Oh they can rip off you real good. One of the worst shipping experiences I ever had was with those guys and getting nailed on a collection of old Metallica fan club magazines. All of course at least second hand, but that didn't stop them from a mighty $68 customs fee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast