Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Edmonton Oilers fire head coach Eakins

The Dallas Eakins era in Edmonton is over.
    The Oilers fired their head coach Monday in the wake of the club’s fourth consecutive loss, a 2-0 shutout by the New York Rangers Sunday night. The Oilers, now 7-19-5, registered just 16 shots in the defeat.
    They sit in last place in the NHL.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...ed-head-coach/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider
    Country

100% JOKE, should have fired the people who drafted all those NUMBER 1 PICKs, who are really one dimensional, should have drafted a real goaltender, too.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

And I will say: ABOUT TIME

Edmonton was not very good when he took over. They were a team with weak goaltending and no defense. Management is much to blame for the mess that this roster is.

That being said: Every goalie he's touched has put up the worst numbers of his career with Eakins (and his idiot systems). The powerplay has gotten progressively worse. The young stars that were supposed to turn this team around.... they've all regressed.

This change is coming 1 year too late, IMO. It was obvious this time last year that he had no business running an NHL team. My only fear is that they've done this just in time to get themselves out of the McDavid sweepstakes.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider
    Country

Maybe they should have traded one of the big young guns, but MacTavish thinks he can get a 1st line player for Perron, not a chance.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (39)
    Country

And I will say: ABOUT TIME

Edmonton was not very good when he took over. They were a team with weak goaltending and no defense. Management is much to blame for the mess that this roster is.

That being said: Every goalie he's touched has put up the worst numbers of his career with Eakins (and his idiot systems). The powerplay has gotten progressively worse. The young stars that were supposed to turn this team around.... they've all regressed.

This change is coming 1 year too late, IMO. It was obvious this time last year that he had no business running an NHL team. My only fear is that they've done this just in time to get themselves out of the McDavid sweepstakes.

Totally agree, although our Managment is flawed, and scouting is bismal the Oilers seemed to be a bad team getting better before Eakins and now they look defeated and in a complete downward spiral. At least the season before Eakins took over our powerplay was taking shape.
    Now hopefully we can find someone with experience to take over not another, out of back fourty suprise head coaches nobody has heard of. Not to familiar with whos available but i have heard Blysma and Messier as options

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

They should have traded one of them two years ago, before they let Eakins devalue every asset this organization has. This team, while still not very good, showed signs of improvement under Ralph Krueger. Instead of canning him (after they had their best season in 4 years).

This is one of the three men in the organization needs to rid themselves of (MacTavish & Lowe being the other two). I'll take it as a step in the right direction.

Maybe they should have traded one of the big young guns, but MacTavish thinks he can get a 1st line player for Perron, not a chance.

And I'd be shocked if MacTavish really believes that Perron is worth a first line player. He'd get a third line center.... or maybe solid #4 dman. That's best case scenario.

This is the thing though..... everyone has been all over management this year, that they need to trade one of their young stars. I don't disagree with the idea - but what are you going to get for them? Anyone believe that Yakupov would be worth a top pairing defenseman? Or a top-6 winger (a 25-30 goal guy) with size / grit???? I don't. I have a hard time believing you'd get a 1st round pick for him.

Hall? That's the best player on your team. Only one that's performed well over the last season and a half. Unless you're going to get a player back that is so good it makes sense, you're not going to do it. You could trade him for another front line player (maybe one with the size & grit you need) but you're not going to get someone as good, as young, or with anywhere near as high a ceiling. You're going to end up taking a lesser player that will fit in on your top line, combined with a defenseman that might improve the overall group, but isn't good enough to play the 20+ minutes per night he'll be asked to. Obviously is something like Weber for Hall was on the table, you do it. There is no chance a deal like that is out there.

Hopkins? You could probably move him out for something similar to what I just described with Hall. A two player package where you get a centre that's okay, and a defenseman that's okay. Then they can spend the next 5 years looking for that #1 centre, while RNH moves somewhere else turning into one.

That would leave Eberle. Still the guy that I think should be traded... but his stock has fallen big time. Two summers ago I think you could have asked for the top-6 guy with jam, and a good 2nd pairing guy for your blueline. Maybe flipped it and asked for a dman for the top pair (I mean a guy that's somewhere in the top 40-50 dmen in the league) plus a forward with size / grit that might have been on the 2nd line right away, but would ultimately turn into a 3rd liner. Now ?? Honestly.... what would anyone trade for this guy? I'm not saying he's got no value, but I don't think it's all that significant. He's being paid way too much money, and doesn't bring enough (hasn't since Eakins took over) to justify it.

Trading one of them now would be foolish. Ride out the year, with any luck Katz sees the light and fires the ol' boys club, draft high (again) and go into the offseason with a plan to deal one or two of the 'young stars' to plug the holes. Probably still not a playoff team next year, but might stay in the race past the middle of October.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

I agree with dealing Eberle. He'll get you the biggest return.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Trade Hall to the Jets for Kane and Bogosian :)
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not so sure that wouldn't be the *KIND* of move they need to make. Maybe the Jets, maybe those two guys, are not the right fit..... but something along those lines.

Trade Hall to the Jets for Kane and Bogosian :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

I hope McDavid pulls a Lindros if he's selected by Deadmonton!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast