Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (139)
    Country
    See adamslogikcards's Items on eBay

and there it is...it was only a matter of time before this came out....

"I think real hockey fans watch these events"

He's not saying that because you don't watch it you're not a real fan, but the fact is, those who watch it ARE by definition real fans. A real fan enjoys watching hockey regardless of standings, or whether points are at stake. A real fan of THE GAME, not just a team, will watch hockey played between 2 groups of 12 year olds, outside in minus 20 degree weather. I am a fan of the GAME, and I will watch any hockey that is on, any teams, any time.

I watch it, I also watch every pre season habs game and head down to the Verdun Auditorium to watch their scrimmages(I grew up near there, but I know live 2 hours away, so it's not convenient at ALL, lol).

Does that mean that you, if you don't do these things don't like hockey? Of course not, but the fact is, SOME of us watch these things and look forward to them and we have been let down, and arguably, your level of commitment as a fan of the game is not the same as someone who watches the all star game. The fact is that some people are fans of TEAMS, and some people are fans of the GAME. The level of commitment you show(how out of your way you will go to watch it or be involved in it, how much of your TIME AND EFFORT are dedicated to it) is a MEASURABLE variable. We can quantify and qualify how big a fan someone is, and the fact is that someone who enjoys watching the all star game is a BIG fan.

Argue it all you want, but if you purposely avoid watching the all star game, then you are NOT as big a fan as someone who looks forward to it.

If you don't like being referred to as less of a fan, then be more of a fan, but you can't call the all star game garbage and then expect to be held up to the same level as someone who watches it and enjoys it, whether it is a scrimmage or not, because it has some of the best talent in the world skating on the same rink at the same time.

I know that alot of people are going to disagree and say that just because they don't like the all star game doesn't mean that they are not "real fans".

Please differentiate though, there is a difference between being a "real fan" of a team or a player, and a real fan of THE GAME. I have a hard time believing that a REAL fan of the game would not jump at the chance to see all of the best players skating together, showing off their skills...

and now all the naysayers who claim to be HUGE FANS of the game but are too good for the all star game may start throwing stones and insults.... maybe you can argue your way to "Real fan status", I mean, who needs ACTIONS(watching the game, to elevate ratings) when WORDS can be spoken, right?

I mean, words always speak louder than actions, and what better way to show me what a "Real fan" you are, than to not watch the all star game and instead run your mouth about how crappy it is?
    Last edited by adamslogik; 01-22-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

He's not saying that because you don't watch it you're not a real fan, but the fact is, those who watch it ARE by definition real fans. A real fan enjoys watching hockey regardless of standings, or whether points are at stake. A real fan of THE GAME, not just a team, will watch hockey played between 2 groups of 12 year olds, outside in minus 20 degree weather. I am a fan of the GAME, and I will watch any hockey that is on, any teams, any time.

I watch it, I also watch every pre season habs game and head down to the Verdun Auditorium to watch their scrimmages(I grew up near there, but I know live 2 hours away, so it's not convenient at ALL, lol).

Does that mean that you, if you don't do these things don't like hockey? Of course not, but the fact is, SOME of us watch these things and look forward to them and we have been let down, and arguably, your level of commitment as a fan of the game is not the same as someone who watches the all star game. The fact is that some people are fans of TEAMS, and some people are fans of the GAME. The level of commitment you show(how out of your way you will go to watch it or be involved in it, how much of your TIME AND EFFORT are dedicated to it) is a MEASURABLE variable. We can quantify and qualify how big a fan someone is, and the fact is that someone who enjoys watching the all star game is a BIG fan.

Argue it all you want, but if you purposely avoid watching the all star game, then you are NOT as big a fan as someone who looks forward to it.

If you don't like being referred to as less of a fan, then be more of a fan, but you can't call the all star game garbage and then expect to be held up to the same level as someone who watches it and enjoys it, whether it is a scrimmage or not, because it has some of the best talent in the world skating on the same rink at the same time.

I know that alot of people are going to disagree and say that just because they don't like the all star game doesn't mean that they are not "real fans".

Please differentiate though, there is a difference between being a "real fan" of a team or a player, and a real fan of THE GAME. I have a hard time believing that a REAL fan of the game would not jump at the chance to see all of the best players skating together, showing off their skills.

Very well said! An All Star game is a showcase of talent, the one chance the fans have to see the best players together in the same arena. The baseball all star game was a big attraction long before there was any connection to the World Series. Ok, so some of you don't watch it, is that a reason to be apathetic toward this situation? My feelings, if a player is voted unto the team but can't play due to injury, he should still be required to make appearances during the festivities unless the injury prohibits it.
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I believe Malkin does have an injury. They need wins right now and cant afford to not have Malkin play in last nights game if he wasn't hurt.

Crosby is different. I'm not sure if he is "hurt" or not. He has only played in 1 all star game and missed/skipped the others. Im not defending him when I say this but he took a dirty slash in the ribs or stomach area during the Flyers game (right behind flyers net) that could be the injury in question. He did grimace and was in pain when it happened. Other than that I have nothing.

For me as a Pens fan I want Crosby playing in the game against Winnipeg. I could care less about the all star game. I like the rule that you must miss the following game after the ASG if you miss it. As a player its you duty to play in it if healthy. If Crosby is healthy and is skipping, I would be very upset. The Pens look bad right now and they need wins.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Not sure about the real fan thing, I do know as people get older its appeals greatly diminishes, for myself included, but as a kid, I was bonkers for the game!....and, well they already have me hooked for life, so no big deal, but for the kids it would really suck! Not so great for us Jets fans who only get one chance to see 87 play in a real NHL game also, and the way the Jets are going now, they need all hands on deck so I don't get it, unless they don't need the points??
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Bettman is an idiot, I don't know how he's lasted this long.

He's made a bunch of rich old men even richer.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

While I respect your opinion, its just that ... an opinion. You are in no position to dictate who is a "real fan" anymore than myself or anyone else on this board. While I too consider myself to be a "real fan" in that I enjoy watching hockey at different levels, I prefer to watch hockey played with passion. The all-star game, while it may be certainly fun to watch, has about as much passion as Phil Kessel back-checking. Does that make me less of a fan than someone who will watch any hockey game? I don't think so.

I value quality over quantity, I would rather watch a couple of professional games played at a high level than lots of games involving washed up former pros and goons hoping to make it as the next NHL enforcer. Does that make me any less of a fan? No. In my opinion the all-star game is a mockery of hockey. It lacks passion, competition, toughness, all the characteristics that in my opinion places hockey over every other sport in the world.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    UCB (114)
    Country

Crosby and Malkin are both going to miss the All Star Game due to injuries. These are injuries that may be big or small but none the less they need the time to heal, which both will have 7-8 days to rest and get better.

I am a REAL FAN of the game and all that goes with it, but the All star game althought is gets fans closer to the players and such, is a game that is not for points, awards, trophies/ standings. The players that chose not to go due to injuries are in the league to play for their team and to get to the playoffs and try to win A CUP.

I understand this and as a team I would understand Crosby and Malkin resting to make sure they are ready to help the team move forward and achieve this goal.

As a fan I understand that not being there is upsetting, as you want to see the best of the best players but utlimately the players is playing for his team and the teams chance to win, and I would rather see The Best Palyer in the league playing in games that mean something more to his team and his chances to make playoffs.

Just my Opinion, you may not agree but thats ok.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

Crosby and Malkin are both going to miss the All Star Game due to injuries. These are injuries that may be big or small but none the less they need the time to heal, which both will have 7-8 days to rest and get better.

I am a REAL FAN of the game and all that goes with it, but the All star game althought is gets fans closer to the players and such, is a game that is not for points, awards, trophies/ standings. The players that chose not to go due to injuries are in the league to play for their team and to get to the playoffs and try to win A CUP.

I understand this and as a team I would understand Crosby and Malkin resting to make sure they are ready to help the team move forward and achieve this goal.

As a fan I understand that not being there is upsetting, as you want to see the best of the best players but utlimately the players is playing for his team and the teams chance to win, and I would rather see The Best Palyer in the league playing in games that mean something more to his team and his chances to make playoffs.

Excellent points. Agreed 100%.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

A real fan of THE GAME, not just a team, will watch hockey played between 2 groups of 12 year olds, outside in minus 20 degree weather

If you dont have kids in that game, that's just asking for trouble in today's day & age.

No. I just value my time more . If they dont care, why should I?

Previous 5 games :

12-9
    11-10
    12-11
    8-7
    12-9

They dont even bother playing defense in these. It's a glorified skills comp.

Please differentiate though, there is a difference between being a "real fan" of a team or a player, and a real fan of THE GAME. I have a hard time believing that a REAL fan of the game would not jump at the chance to see all of the best players skating together, showing off their skills...

and now all the naysayers who claim to be HUGE FANS of the game but are too good for the all star game may start throwing stones and insults.... maybe you can argue your way to "Real fan status", I mean, who needs ACTIONS(watching the game, to elevate ratings) when WORDS can be spoken, right?

I mean, words always speak louder than actions, and what better way to show me what a "Real fan" you are, than to not watch the all star game and instead run your mouth about how crappy it is?

I show it with my wallet.
    Trading for Steelers,Penguins,Pirates and Michigan players in Michigan uni

Hidden Content

Thanks to the USPS Shipping only to US addresses.

Shipping done on Saturdays no matter when the trade is confirmed

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

At the end of the day, all these players want The Cup on their resume . I would think they will trade a Cup all day long for a career full of AS recognition.
    Last edited by Crosby 87; 01-23-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast