Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Yeah, I like to avoid giving specifics until I have bought it lol! But no worries, I won't be going after it :)

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See icefields02's Items on eBay

87sluggo the kesler would be a "my precious" lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

At the end of the day the Show Stamp 1/1s out there become more of an 'odd-ball' card. A lot of cards will sell well when first pulled and released onto secondary market if they are nice cards like a nice patch or HoFer's. I think $30 or $40 is the most I sold a card for from this years Fall Expo and I had a couple decent cards such as Ray Bourque Complete Stick/Glove/Skate/Patch or a Ron Hextall Pad.

The most I have sold one for was of... Joey Hishon depicting him with Owen Sound Attack and it didn't sell for 30 days but then it sold to surprise surprise... someone in Owen Sound. It becomes an odd-ball item in a player's collection and some cards just mean more to someone than to anyone else.

The most I have paid was about $40 for a sweet Yzerman patch and I really don't think I would go much higher than that if at all. The $150-$300 some people are asking for just because it is a 1/1 is quite ridiculous and viewed as such by the vast majority of collectors.
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gallinator's Items on eBay

I share Sedinfan's love of the standalone show set:

But as far as the cards that are the same as the pack-issued version and simply have a show stamp? Not a fan - probably wouldn't go above $10 for something like that unless it was killer vintage or a PC guy.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Hahahaaa you don't have to worry about competition from me, I already got my 1/1.....

So......... pretty. Or something :/

I had a pretty decent rant the other day about these buybacks in an email to a friend. I'll C&P and edit to fit this discussion

Some don't bother me a whole lot - for example, this year is the 25th Anniversary of Upper Deck making hockey cards, so to celebrate they "bought back" some of the cards from the original release back in 1990 and had players sign anywhere from 10 to 25 cards. That's easy. There's thousands and thousands of those cards out there, so sprucing them up is not a big deal (I myself, when I was in business with a guy that I no longer am in business with, did that for a bunch of Brendan Gallagher cards)...but that Kesler card originally came from a pretty high-end release and there are only 9 copies of it out there. So to be taking even one or two of those cards out of circulation and re-issuing them as a 1/1 because it's got a little stamp on it, I dunno.

-----------------------------------

When it comes to show cards and the like, I pick and choose what I like and ignore what I don't. They aren't cards that I make a top priority but if the right one comes along at a good price, why not? I've got a Zach Fucale Top Prospects Game Jersey 1/1 from one of the ITG Cross Canada Tour stops. It looks just like the regular card from the regular H&P set, except with a 1/1 and the info on the back. It's just a big ole white swatch. It was $10. Why not, right?
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I agree with Rich, I wouldn't want to see rare cards from the actual released print run get bought back and modified with a stamp - I don't think that's what happened for the Kesler though. As far as I understand it, all these Ultimate Archives that were released at the Fall 14 Expo were excess stock that was produced in case of need as replacements. For example, I have the Sedin Dynamic Duos Gold 1/1 that came from packs, and also picked up the Ultimate Archives Expo Gold 1/1, so I know for sure that one wasn't repurchased stamped and reslabbed cause the original is safe and sound in my PC :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    14-15 Masterpieces Sawchuk Red Stick x/35, Barber Black Stick x/25
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    Any Lord Stanley's Mug 1/1

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

so just to understand what you're saying...

the card i used as an example

14/15 LEAF ITG Ultimate Mem EXPO DAYS GONE BY MEM GOLD 1/1 SAWCHUK-HALL-GIACOMIN-VACHON.

is really a silver version (print run of 24) that was reslabbed and promoted as a show card 1/1??

SCF Rewards
    Country

The title of the auction looks like a typo, indeed it probably should've said silver. I don't think the card was "reslabbed" - i.e. I don't think it was released as one of the print run of 24 silver cards, bought back and cracked out of the original slab, then place in a new case... rather my understanding is this would've been an additional card beyond the 24 that were released in packs that was never in a slab at all, but kept by ITG in case they needed to replace a damaged card via a customer service case. Now sometime after those products have been out they've decided to stamp them with the UA 1/1 stamp and slab them for the first time as handouts at the Fall Expo.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I'm quite sure these cards are not buy-backs and then re-slabbed with a 1/1 stamp.

Case in point is my experience at the Fall Expo. I went there on the last day instead of the Saturday when I was supposed to go. There were 1/1 redemptions for Motown Madness, Decades 90s, Draft Propects, Between the Pipes and Heroes and Prospects. Oh and Lord Stanley's Mug I think. Anyways... I bought some Motown, Decades and Draft Pros and received a voucher with the name of each product on it which I can redeem for a 1/1 card which was supposed correlate to each product but by the time I got there on Sunday there were no Motown or Decades 1/1s left but there were many BTP and H&P which is basically all I received. So that means that everything left over was stock that ITG was trying to off-load while they had the chance and still try and sell old product before the prices drop.

Like someone said before, ITG wouldn't take a card let's say /9 and buy it back just to re-slab it as a 1/1 and leaving only /8 remaining.

Which is why people are already complaining about Leaf's Best of Hockey preview showing harder-to-find cards being bought-back and then re-slabbed as 1/1s.

Perhaps the old stock ITG had were for replacements or something. I know when Pacific went under they released many 'Premiere Date Parallels' or other parallels to the secondary market that had the gold foil where the serial number was supposed to be but there were no serial numbers. I think in this case someone bought Pacific's stock in an auction and now these particular cards are considered 'oddball' items. I have a couple 01-02 Pacific Pavel Datsyuk Rookie Parallels both with the number and both without. The real Rookie would sell for let's just say $50 whereas I bought the non-serial numbered rookies for $5 each.

Hope this clears some things up for you.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

think i got it now.

always appreciate the expert information you guys have for us members who are not "in the know".

i do like these ITG cards, like i said before, but now i have a better understanding of where they fit in in the world of collecting. thanx guys and gals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast