Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Damian Lillard is not a star

"Damian Lillard will never be a star"

I remember reading that post by a prominent member on SCF right after his rookie season, and I thought to myself, 'how can you tell after just one season?' Maybe that person meant he would never be a superstar, in the mold of Kobe, LeBron or Durant, and fair enough, he may never become a player of that caliber. But to say he is not a star at this point I feel is ridiculous. Lillard deserves to be going to the All-Star Game this year, but he will not be, as he was not selected by the coaches as a reserve nor as an injury replacement for Kobe Bryant.

It seemed that most of the nation shared the sentiment of that SCF member. Many fans I talked to about him said he was too old at 22 to develop any further. Even the experts didn't have that high of expectations for him:

lillard1.jpg

At the time, Lillard was compared to Jeff Teague, of the Atlanta Hawks, who averaged 14.6 points and 7.2 assists per game that season. That was Teague's 4th NBA season at age 24. Lillard, on the other hand, averaged 19.0 points and 6.5 assists per game his rookie season, at age 22. This current season, Lillard is averaging 21.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 6.2 assists per game, and his team is 32-14 in a tough Western Conference. Teague, on the other hand, is averaging 17 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 7.5 assists per game, with his team 38-8. Teague, averaging 4 points, 2 rebounds fewer, with an additional 1.3 assists a night, on a team with 6 more wins than the Blazers, is an All-Star. Lillard is not.

Lillard has shown improvement in each of his first three seasons, increasing his scoring average and rebounding each season. The biggest knock on Lillard his first two seasons was his defense. To be quite honest, it was a fair knock on him, as he couldn't defend a chair. To his credit though, he has worked hard each offseason, and while not a great defender, he is now not a negative to the team when they don't have the ball. While it is hard to measure an individual players defense quantitatively, the Blazers last season were 16th in Defensive efficiency. This season, they rank second. You don't have the second-best defense in the league if your point guard, who plays nearly 40 minutes a night, is a horrible defender.

So why isn't he an All-Star this year?

When you look at the Western Conference roster, it becomes a difficult question of who he deserves it over. There are so many great players in the Western Conference. Tim Duncan, while still a good player (averaging 14.7 points and 10.1 rebounds), I don't think should be an All-Star this year. Durant, while great statistically, has missed more games than he has played this year. DeMarcus Cousins, who was chosen as Kobe's injury replacement, is absolutely deserving statistically, but his team's record, having only won 16 games, would have been something I would have taken into account.

If there is a silver lining to this, Damian will use his snub as even more motivation. He has gotten to where he is now by being overlooked all his life, coming out of high school as a 2-star recruit, only being recruited by small schools such as Weber State, where he played college basketball, being cut from Team USA in favor of Kyrie Irving and a hobbled Derrick Rose, and now not being selected to the All-Star game.

As a Blazers fan for many years now, I have learned to never count Lillard out, even when the odds seem to be against him.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dayzdtomato's Items on eBay

Couldn't agree more...though as a lifelong Blazers fan, I admit to being biased. However, being a small market team, it almost seems that being snubbed is something we're used to and almost come to expect. After all, how many All-Star games have been held in Portland? Yup, that's a big zero despite having been in the league for almost 45 years. I don't doubt for a second that Dame will use this as additional motivation, but really...should he have to? He should be there.
    Bring me your Portland Trail Blazers!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Couldn't agree more...though as a lifelong Blazers fan, I admit to being biased. However, being a small market team, it almost seems that being snubbed is something we're used to and almost come to expect. After all, how many All-Star games have been held in Portland? Yup, that's a big zero despite having been in the league for almost 45 years. I don't doubt for a second that Dame will use this as additional motivation, but really...should he have to? He should be there.

I get what you're saying, and I myself am biased as well, but I feel like his stats and the team's record justify him being there. As for no All-Star games in Portland, a lot of that has to do with not having many hotel accommodations near the arena. Thanks for the reply!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (5) Sports Card Freaks
    Country
    See andyg2350's Items on eBay

I believe there's a certain amount of guards and forwards/centers that they can choose to put in the All Star reserves. Something like 4 guards and 3 forwards/centers. So, Lillard was up against Klay, Westbrook, Cp3 and Harden. Tough to put him over those guys. Maybe have a case for Westbrook.

What I don't understand is how they brought in a center to take Kobe's place. If a guard is injured, shouldn't they bring in another guard?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

I think that may have been me, actually. Tried to look up the thread, but can't find it for full context. I'm pretty sure I meant he would never be superstar level, and it was within the context of people paying hundreds for his RCs, IIRC. I still think that's absurd. FWIW, I believe he's a Westbrook type of player. 20 years from now, I still think paying hundreds for his RCs will be viewed upon as silly.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Found it:

https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...1#post12968204

My full post, quoted accurately, in proper context, with specifics, makes mention that I don't believe he's a potential HOFer. Big difference between that and star. I still stand by what I wrote there. I even mentioned he might have All-Star selections in the future. :D

Maybe you were thinking of someone else?
    Last edited by WilyWestbrook0; 01-30-2015 at 09:18 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think that may have been me, actually. Tried to look up the thread, but can't find it for full context. I'm pretty sure I meant he would never be superstar level, and it was within the context of people paying hundreds for his RCs, IIRC. I still think that's absurd. FWIW, I believe he's a Westbrook type of player. 20 years from now, I still think paying hundreds for his RCs will be viewed upon as silly.

I think it's silly to pay that much for almost anyone's rookie card, especially in today's card market where everything is overproduced. I feel like the people that paid that much for cards of players like Wall, Griffin, Lillard, Kyrie, etc will all be disappointed in the future.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Found it:

https://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...1#post12968204

My full post, quoted accurately, in proper context, with specifics, makes mention that I don't believe he's a potential HOFer. Big difference between that and star. I still stand by what I wrote there. I even mentioned he might have All-Star selections in the future. :D

Maybe you were thinking of someone else?

No it was you I was thinking of lol, I admit time had clouded my memory of what you actually said, I thought you had said something more in the mold of 'he'll never be a common star' but I see now that you didn't, and reading that post now I agree with you. I will edit that part out of my OP if you would like, just let me know. Sorry about that.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

No biggie either way. It was about three years ago, so I can understand how definitions and understanding may have gotten clouded at the time. I agree the spending in general is ridiculous, and it goes beyond Lillard.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See nflguru79's Items on eBay

Lillard is a beast, but last year was his best opportunity to win, without Aldridge there his stock may decline for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast