Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: RIP Steve Montador

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rizok56's Items on eBay

RIP Steve Montador

I just wanted to share a quick story about the time I met Steve Montador. A couple of years back one of my best friends that I grew up playing hockey with got married back in our home town of Windsor. My friend was by far the best player I had ever shared the ice with and would have easily made the new NHL if not for the fact that he was born in 77 (good year). He had a great career in the NCAA, played a bit in the AHL and killed it in Europe. He played with and against a bunch of NHLers during the lockouts, including Montador. Fast forward to the wedding were a few current and ex NHLers were going to be in attendance and I came prepared with a bunch of rookie cards that I left in strategic locations at the reception for my own amusement...yeah I'm a card nerd and so are you for reading this. Anyhow, I had left a half dozen Montador rookies around the reception hall and didn't get a chance to speak to him until the end of the night. The newlyweds had rented a bus to transport everyone from the venue at a vineyard in the country back downtown (don't drink and drive) and I spotted Montador hanging out. I approached him and let him know that I was the idiot leaving cards all over and he told it he thought it was hilarious (keeping in mind he was the only victim). I asked him for an auto on one of the cards and the only pen available was the gold sharpie to sign the wedding book. He was a very gracious guy and I am still very happy to have met him. I reached out to my buddy when I heard the awful news of his passing and he let me know that Montador was great guy and teammate. This card is going in the mail to my good friend for his collection of teammates and opponents that I started on his behalf. RIP Monty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

Great story and a very sad loss.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

Great story loved reading it! Thanks for sharing. That's really funny what you did with the cards too. Way to young to pass.

RIP Mr. Montador
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the share. Rip Monty