Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: Team Collecting or Player Collecting??

Voters
51. This poll is closed
  • Player Collecting

29 56.86%
  • Team Collecting

22 43.14%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

I am mainly a player collector.

I wasn't sure what I would do if my PC guy was traded but I found out when Hossa moved on. I still want everything (it was easy seeing he didn't go to the Leafs or Habs). It isn't as easy to follow Foligno since he was moved. I still have the PC and grab stuff when I see it but I don't chase it. I also collect Karlsson, Curtis Lazar and Billy Smith as my HOF guy.

This has been my main focus for the last couple of years. I did add a new PC in the last 6 months or so. Stick cards. These are cool because I don't care about the player or the team. Makes for a cool mix.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Im a team collector i collect new york islanders since they are my favorite team i like team collecting cause whats better than having cards of players from your favorite team i like it because you can collect your team's rookies each year and the stars too in my case i always love picking up tavares and okposo plus younger budding talent like strome nelson and lee the other cool part is i like to add cards to my pc even if we didnt have them for a long time like zdeno chara isles cards or wendel clark as islander i do also have a rule that they must be in an isles uniform plus its fun to collect guys from before my time i was born in 88 but i love to collect bossy potvin gillies trottier westfall arbour and smith i even recently picked up a voices of the game auto of howie rose from crown royale he does play by play commentary on tv for the isles along side former islander butch goring at the end of the day collect what makes you happy and keeps the hobby fun after all that is what the hobby is about

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

I have never understood the team collector. Many people (but not all, I realize) collect players who currently play for their favorite team and jettison cards of a player if they move to another team. This is an incredible waste of collecting, really. All the time, energy and money that a collector sinks into that goes to waste if the player moves on from their team. Then they are tasked with the problem of moving those cards of a player no longer on the team.

I am neither a player or team collector. I collect a TYPE of card. I stick to rookie cards. I don't have to worry if a player gets traded or anything...if the player is considered a "top rookie" I wait to see how he does and then decide whether to get it. I focus mainly on SP Authentic rookies. If a player doesn't have one, I get the best one I can.

One card per player. That's it. My costs are minimal and the collection doesn't take up much room.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Professor-Chaos's Items on eBay

Team collector: Autos only

P-C
    --

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I have never understood the team collector. Many people (but not all, I realize) collect players who currently play for their favorite team and jettison cards of a player if they move to another team.

I collect Caps and Sharks cards, but I dont dump them once the player leaves. I agree, that is just stupid. Most players dont play their entire career for one team. But I usually collect cards based on the team, rather than the player because I root for the TEAM, not individual players. I want the Caps or Sharks to win the Cup (no jokes please... ), I am not rooting for Backstrom or Pavelski to win the Cup. If those guys get traded, then I will root for whoever takes their place.

As for player collections, I only have one -- Tomas Hertl. I got excited about him early (even before everyone else after his 4-goal game) because he is from the Czech Republic -- where my grandfather came from. I have decided that I will collect every card of his I can get my hands on regardless of what team he is on. But if he leaves the Sharks, I wont root for him to win the Cup.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (12)
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Vancouver Canucks Toronto Blue Jays
    Twitter: @@BackyardRink13 See davidsteinhauser's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm a player collector these days, but there was a time where I had to get my hands on one of every Senators card out there. I put a pretty good dent in the list (over 5000 different Senators cards at one point) but I find it a lot more enjoyable these days to have it narrowed down to a list of specific players.

I'm on my third go-around collecting Jarome Iginla, had over 3000 Iggy cards at one point but this latest rebuild is just over 150 so far. I've followed him since his junior days in Kamloops, I grew up there and was fortunate enough to watch him playing for the Blazers before he was even drafted.

My hometown team growing up was the Vancouver Canucks, I'm a life-long fan as much as it hurts to admit come Playoff time lol. The Ottawa Senators have been my favorite team since the day the NHL announced the expansion team being awarded. I lived just outside of Toronto at the time and couldn't stand the Leafs so it just seemed natural to root for the new Sens team and it took off from there. Besides Iginla, my other PC players were all picked simply because I like the style of play of those players, besides Andrew Hammond who I picked because I felt I needed a goalie in my collection.
    Hidden Content
    My up-to-date multi-sport trade/sale inventory + full wantlist can be found on Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Hey Riley,
    I have been both at one point in time and I know the feeling, there is only so much money and time for a hobby like this. You have to look what the others have said and I find the thing that you are comfortable with and also what you are comfortable walking away from. I used to walk away from Mario's that I did not have before in favor of a Jagr piece I really liked. The problem for me was when Sid, Geno and MAF showed up. I could not longer keep up and the word cheap went away. So by sticking to Mario I could at least collect a player who was a Pen the whole time and is a legend outright. It was hard saying good bye, but my Mario PC rose quickly when I traded those away.

Always a tough call, good luck!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Flyers
    See Harpoon's Items on eBay

HI: I am a team collector of each Flyer that was and is in a Flyer uniform
    I started from the time they started in the NHL till now
    BUT I only collect base and inserts and nothing more
    I already have over 12 binders of the Flyers
    if they move teams then they are not in Flyer uniform any more so why collect
    Thanks "D" Harpoon

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I have to say player collecting. It narrows the field

Unless you place limitations on your collection (only one card of each player) or only base there is simply too much out there.

When I first started I was a team / number collector. Dave Brown (#21) was my guy, so I started collecting cards of every flyer who wore #21. That was a fun project.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (489)
    Country
    Upper Deck ePack

I choose Team collecting. I do PC of Hasek, Cujo, Brodeur & Shanahan. I do Team PC of Red Wings & Flyers. And I also do sets. I only get cards that are within my price range. I prefer to trade for any of the mentioned PC's. Right now my focus is 2004-05 ITG Franchises Memorabilia which will keep me busy.
    Collecting; Autos, GU'd & RC of Red Wings, Brodeur, Hasek & Shanahan and ITG 2004-05 Franchises. Motown Madness & Broad Street Boys.
    Want List: Hidden Content
    Trade List: Hidden Content

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast