Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

View Poll Results: Team Collecting or Player Collecting??

Voters
51. This poll is closed
  • Player Collecting

29 56.86%
  • Team Collecting

22 43.14%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@22collector See rtsportscards28's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Team Collecting or Player Collecting?

I have been in the hobby for a very long time now and I am just curious to see what everyone here on the board thinks about this. I collect a PC player as well as a PC team and I am thinking about dropping one because of the expenses, supplies, yada yada yada. So what do you all think? Are you more of a fan when it comes to trying to grab all of a single players card? Or do you like picking up any card that features your PC team on it? Which one should I think about dropping? Feel free to say what you want, I am just very curious to see what others think.

Thanks all,

Riley

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I do both....

I collect a player (Bill Ranford) and I collect a team (Edmonton Oilers). I just don't mass collect the team.... as an example, I know for a fact that you (or anyone else posting in this thread) do not own a single card of RNH, Eberle, or Hall that I want for my Oilers PC, because I already have all I want from those guys (granted, every once in a while a card comes along that's too cool to not grab, but I have not yet seen something like that of any of those players).

Collecting a single player, it's easy to set focus. Want one of everything? Great. Only want base cards? Cool. Only auto patches? Whatever you like. Can make up parameters on the fly.

Team Collecting, that can get out of hand, really quickly... because you've got so many players playing for that team, unless you put limits on what you're trying to do - you'll just endlessly be adding cards to a collection, and I've seen WAY too many times.... people dumping all their cards of a particular player, after he was traded.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I am a team collector. I have been tempted to become a player collector a few times,, but if the player has been traded to another team, I find it hard to get excited about collecting cards of them from their new team. In the end, I always revert to being a team collector, within somewhat fuzzy limits.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See joshpackham's Items on eBay

My experience is as follows: PC Ovechkin - no parallels, auto's, patches, just base insert, and gu for the most part
    Nathan Horton: will pickup whatever I can as long as it is reasonably priced
    Matt Johnson: pick up everything
    Team collector: I've recently started adding leaf cards, the nice part is they have been around so long that I don't need to go after anything from this year. I'm mostly just adding base/inserts and if I find cheap gu/auto cards. I really have no rules except it must be pictured in a leafs uniform. I find it allows me to pick up neat cards for cheap.
    Hidden Content
    I collect Ovechkin, Matt Johnson and Nathan Horton

MY PC
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kcfutures9's Items on eBay

Player collector. Things just get out of hand when you team collect but it is still fun.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I guess I'm a player collector. I only collect Devils, Elias, Brodeur, Schneider, Gelinas, Henrique, Zajac and Josefson but I don't have much interest in Devil cards of other players.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I do both. But I would never collect a player who did not play for one of my teams!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I started team collecting (Edmonton oilers), but then branched off as many have said, it gets out of hand quickly. I tried to focus of Oiler goalies for awhile to narrow it down, then quickly became a big fan of dubnyk. Ever since then I now focus on dubnyk, and the different teams don't influence me at all. I also decided to pick a HOF player to collect on the side (Sakic) when there's a lack of action in the dubnyk collection

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I "super collected" Kirk Muller (and Delino DeShields) at the beginning of the 90s. His trade to NYI killed it for me. It was a good couple years of work, and that was huge for a kid my age. Now, I stick solely to team collecting. My team won't get traded and cause me a lot of heartache. As well, with team collecting I just decide to buy what I like, within my budget. When I was player collecting I HAD to have one of everything, and today that would drive me crazy. It is impossible for any one person to put together a collection that included one of every Habs card made. So, pressure's off.

SCF Rewards
    Country

In other sports I am a solely player collector, but with hockey I am definitely a team collector (Blue Jackets). There are a few players outside of CBJ that I like and will collect, but I tend to stick with CBJ

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast