Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kcfutures9's Items on eBay

Please educate me on UD Series 1 & 2 YG's

Alright everyone. I would like to pick up some of these iconic rookie cards and need to know which series is better and who are the top 10 rookies from each set to collect. Who has the most upside in the future...... Sleepers and what do I need to know about all of the prospects and rookies in these products?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

IMO - Drouin (Series 2) is the only one this year with much of chance to be worth more than $25 by this time in 2017. If you're looking for "upside" then don't look at "rookies" from any set in 2014-15.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

It is true, the year after a 'double rookie-class' like this year is likely to bed pretty dull on the good rookies. Much like 06-07 after the phenomenal 05-06 with Crosby and Ovechkin amongst others.

Traditionally though the majority of the projected best rookies are released in Series 1 as this is the main reason people buy Series 1. In Series 2 you will find a couple good rookies that were held back purposely so they can sell more Series 2 than they would if all the rookies were in Series 1.

You have to keep in mind that there are all projected top rookies. You may very well find top rookies in Series 2 that did not become a sought-after rookie until years later. A player drafted in the 5th round could be an elite player today and their rookie card can be found in Series 2 as no one knew how good they would become.

To me this is part of the fun. Watching young players and collecting them based on how I feel they play and what kind of player they can become. Every now and then I pick up Rookie Cards of players for cheap and then years later sell them for a profit when everyone else finds out how good they are. But it works both ways. I bought a ton of Adam Henrique rookie cards thinking he was going to win the Calder Trophy but he didn't and his cards dropped.
    Master List: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Problem is...once those sleepers get good 4 years later their cards aren't worth anything anyway since everyone has one and market is flooded...

Someone like Jamie Benn...getting really hot and still won't fetch anything...his FWA is pennies even...

Fun to have sleepers but no one really crosses $50 after they get buried early...can't think of many....maybe some goalies...maybe if Quick had a YG...

Has anyone started in the $2 bin and went to $50+ ???
    Last edited by KingKuba; 02-26-2015 at 07:11 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

i only started collecting NHL cards last year and have been very intrigued by them. I think the fact that YG rookies that are not numbered and fall 6 per hobby box can yield $50 cards is incredible. In the day of mass production and market flooding this really made hockey cards fascinating to me.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

14-15 is a terrible year for rookies and young guns. You would be better buy some of the better guys from previous years. Usually Only the top YG from each year is really be worth more $30 each year. Like Kuba said you will have some really good players that sell under $15 (Benn, Landeskog, Duchene, Galchenyuk, Kopitar come to mind) With a bad rookie class I wouldn't waste your money on this years guys.

I would go after the 13-14 Young Guns. If you want a list of the top 10 guys from 14-15 it would go something like this:

1. Ekblad (I think the kid is going to be a stud
    2. Gaudreau
    3. Drouin
    4. Sam Reinhart
    5. Andre Burakovsky
    6. Bo Horvat
    7. David Pastrnak
    8. Teuvo Teravainen
    9. Evgeny Kuznetsov
    10. Derrick Pouliot (Little Biased on this one)

I left out guys like Draisaitl, Duclair, Lazar, Griffin Reinhart, Sekac that you could sub in and out. Everyone is going to have a different top 10 list
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

Also Im not sure any of these cards is going to be worth more than $30 in a year. Its a very weak class. Im sure one of these guys will breakout like (Filip Forsberg and Tarasenko last year) but no one knows who. It could someone I listed or hell it could be some one I didn't list.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think people are generally underestimating Pulkkinen, but he may never get hobby love being a 5th round draft pick.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I agree with you there, Chev-boyay-sky. About Pulkkinen not about the 5th rounders not getting hobby love. Look at Zetterberg and Datsyuk :) 5th and 7th round.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think Drouin has been a bit of disappointment this year in terms of production. He is still really young so I am not too worried about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast